Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

C8 Roof Panel Repair Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Roof Panel Repair Options

Click image for larger version

Name:	69AAC71C-0EDB-4F69-BE3A-6E5BC5F9AE34.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	255235 Click image for larger version

Name:	69AAC71C-0EDB-4F69-BE3A-6E5BC5F9AE34.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	255234Well, no amount of babying and being really careful can make up for 2 minutes of being an airhead an airhead and not locking down the roof.

The panel flew off at about 20mph. The view of it from the rear view mirror tumbling in the air was gut wrenching.Thank God there wasn’t a car or, even worse, a cyclist, motorcyclist, etc. behind me.

Amazingly, it landed paint-side up and didn’t scratch the top. Unfortunately, each corner took a bit of a hit.

Any suggestions with respect to a repair service? Is it even possible?

Steve- While I hate to admit it, you aren't the only airhead on this Forum. In a moment of my stupidity a couple of weeks ago I grazed a waste container dragged too far into the street at night and broke my right side outboard mirror. Today I will pick up my car with a new mirror system installed and pay an exorbitant amount to a Chevy dealer!
    Unfortunately my guess is that you will soon be the new owner of a replacement roof! You have my utmost sympathy.
    Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by MrBluster View Post
      Steve- While I hate to admit it, you aren't the only airhead on this Forum. In a moment of my stupidity a couple of weeks ago I grazed a waste container dragged too far into the street at night and broke my right side outboard mirror. Today I will pick up my car with a new mirror system installed and pay an exorbitant amount to a Chevy dealer!
      Unfortunately my guess is that you will soon be the new owner of a replacement roof! You have my utmost sympathy.
      Ouch... sorry to hear this. I did a quick search and found a site selling genuine GM replacements discounted down to around $750. I’ll call and ask if they come pre-painted in the body color. I’m assuming then I’d have to disassemble all the inner lining (I have the LT3 natural dipped interior) and re-assemble in the replacement.

Comment

Steve we are all sorry. I can personally assure you that I too am a member of the flying roof club. Many decades ago on a 100 degree, six hour day standing on the asphalt at an airport car show, my mind was fried (at least that is my excuse and I am sticking to it). There are hundreds if not thousands belonging to the flying roof club — and not just Corvette people.

Mike [email protected] has a video on C7 roof removal and re-install that has a great visual lesson/process one I have incorporate (works for the C8 too) I will describe it and then look to see if I can find/post it here, but essentially every time you take the roof off before you drive away, you stand on each side of your roof and try and pull it upward (skyward). Great check. Now that process is automatic for me.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Happen to me about 20 years ago on my Painted Top ... thankfully I have both Painted and Glass Tops.

Took it to a Good Body Shop and it's looks Brand New.
          [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
          1st Deposit June 18th 2020 to 2nd Depost April 17th 2021 = 304 Days
          [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Mike [email protected] has a video on C7 roof removal and re-install that has a great visual lesson/process one I have incorporate (works for the C8 too) I will describe it and then look to see if I can find/post it here, but essentially every time you take the roof off before you drive away, you stand on each side of your roof and try and pull it upward (skyward). Great check. Now that process is automatic for me.
            Thanks John. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I'll find that video. As a pilot, I know all about pre-flight checklists and this is why we have them. Ugh... I'm going to get a red 'remove before flight' hanger and attach it to the locking handles every time I take it off from this point forward.

Comment

Welcome to the flying roof club, it happened to me too. While I did not damage the roof like you did (ouch), I broke the latch and learned the roof latch is the only part borrowed from the C7, so replacement was easy.
              Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stevebaxter View Post

Thanks John. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I'll find that video. As a pilot, I know all about pre-flight checklists and this is why we have them. Ugh... I'm going to get a red 'remove before flight' hanger and attach it to the locking handles every time I take it off from this point forward.
                I ended up getting the HTC but when I was considering the Coupe I was planning on buying one of these:

https://www.flyingroofs.com

Nothing beats a visual reminder, that’s why we pilots have the “Remove Before Flight” streamers.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this, although I haven't joined the club (and hope I never do), I can certainly see how it happens. I am amazed at how little damage these tops get from taking this type of an impact (its impressive how well they are built). I did hit my garage door opener with the top (while be overly cautious while removing it.. SMH) I was rather upset at my stupidity knowing that the car was in the middle of the garage LOL...sometimes its just the way things are.

Hopefully you can get the top repaired or replaced soon. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out.
                  My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I haven’t taken mine off yet and my frequent forgetfulness is one reason why. It seems it would be easy for engineers to design in a warning light/beep into the latch system so if the front latches were in the open position the alarm would activate.
                    Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

Steve,
                      I feel your pain. The 1st time I took my roof off I hit the spoiler and made a mark. The 2nd week a rock hit my hood and windshield causing a scratch & scuff. I bought a nice splitter and within a month it had a scratch on it.......AND just last week my windshield took another rock and now I need it replaced. Other than that.....LOL BTW, Take your belt off when you clean the engine compartment....

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

I ended up getting the HTC but when I was considering the Coupe I was planning on buying one of these:

Nothing beats a visual reminder, that’s why we pilots have the “Remove Before Flight” streamers.
                        I was on a crew that removed those red flags before Take off....

Comment

I don't know how many vendors out here are offering a factory top this early in a model run but many may be. I had good luck with an Illinois company called Melrose T Tops on a factory top for a C4 ZR-1, and have heard good stories for others with later model Corvettes whose owners were members of the flying roof club. You might check with Melrose to see if they offer C8 roofs. They were good to deal with. --Bob
                          2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
                          -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
                          1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
                          1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
                          1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
                          ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
                          Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
                          NCM Lifetime Member
                          Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
                          "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

such a simple device to solve a big problem. i am collecting items I need for my delivery in May/June, and I just ordered these. Thanks so much for posting this link!

For the OP, very sorry this happened, and unfortunately, I have no experience in a repair like this, but you posting the thread gave a lot of us some good info. Thanks.
                            2LT z51 coupe, Red Mist, mag ride, front lift, NCM delivery, etc.
                            Ordered 7/11/20, 2000= 3/18/21, 3000=3/24/21, TPW=6/7/21

2004 Z06, machine silver
                            2016 Ducati xDiavel S, black
                            2016 Can Am Spyder F-3, pearl white

Comment

Not a member of the flying roof club (yet, I haven't received my first Corvette yet) but I am a member of the flying saddlebag club. It's not only roofs that we forget to latch back down properly. Did some nice damage to a saddlebag after a bike wash about 6 years ago, it held firm until I hit the interstate and then it went flying. Beat it up pretty good, but thankfully it was a leather covered "hardbag", I was able to get sand it down, clean it up, and dye it and it looked a lot better.

Thank you for the warning story, I think I'll add the "Remove before flight" red tags to my pre-car purchase list as well!
                              On Order: 2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X