Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

DIY: Installed Oil Catch Can in HTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was out of a 6.2 DI truck I had. The C7 Z06 does this but did this picture just to prove a point about what does come out. Do not do this on my driveway lol..... All catch can systems are not the same.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20131215_152610.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	266562

Comment

Originally posted by MilesC8 View Post
      Interesting what he sees at timestamps 7:57 & 8:11

Thanks for posting that video.

In addition to the obvious oil issue you mentioned, a high performance throttle body can be a nice performance upgrade for us "do it yourself" types.
      Last edited by Mobius; 05-02-2021, 09:41 AM.
      My C8:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

That oil vapor from the crankcase will, via the PCV system, end up in the intake is undeniable fact. That's what the PCV system is supposed to do. That the oil vapor will pass the backs of hot intake valves is indisputable. Each of us will have to decide whether that is a concern.

On port fuel injected engines, the detergents in the gasoline will keep the valves clean. On direct injection engines, there's no fuel washing the backs of the valves. Some brands have had massive problems with carbon build up on the valves. I haven't seen anyone pull a high mileage LT1 or LT4 apart and check for deposits on the valves, so I don't know how much of an issue it will be long term. But there's no question there will be some deposits there.

And I don't really buy the argument that "if it were a problem, GM would have added a catch can." Auto manufacturers are unlikely to add anything that adds a frequent maintenance requirement. For the last few decades the push has been to extend maintenance intervals as far as possible.
        Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus MacBlorf View Post
          I installed a catch-can years ago on my car, because I'd heard that oil-cooled turbochargers can pass oil through. As far as I can tell, it's never picked up any oil, even after years of hard driving. Does anyone have a catch-can that's actually trapped a significant amount?
          I use the M&M catch can which works different and prevents the venting of crankcase fumes entering the intake or Supercharger. I drain it and it gets a A lot of oily condensation.
          it reroutes the venting from the block to the catch can instead of being in going in the engine. By far the best for your Corvette.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
            That oil vapor from the crankcase will, via the PCV system, end up in the intake is undeniable fact. That's what the PCV system is supposed to do. That the oil vapor will pass the backs of hot intake valves is indisputable. Each of us will have to decide whether that is a concern.

On port fuel injected engines, the detergents in the gasoline will keep the valves clean. On direct injection engines, there's no fuel washing the backs of the valves. Some brands have had massive problems with carbon build up on the valves. I haven't seen anyone pull a high mileage LT1 or LT4 apart and check for deposits on the valves, so I don't know how much of an issue it will be long term. But there's no question there will be some deposits there.

And I don't really buy the argument that "if it were a problem, GM would have added a catch can." Auto manufacturers are unlikely to add anything that adds a frequent maintenance requirement. For the last few decades the push has been to extend maintenance intervals as far as possible.
            Just why the M&M is the best mod for your Corvette stops the oil getting directly in the intake keeps it from the valves and from baking on the stems.
            I pulled my stock Supercharger on my 2015 Z06 in 2016 and the intercooler's were almost 1/2 plugged with gunk. All my Corvette get the M&M catch can as a very important mod.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

Just why the M&M is the best mod for your Corvette stops the oil getting directly in the intake keeps it from the valves and from baking on the stems.
              I pulled my stock Supercharger on my 2015 Z06 in 2016 and the intercooler's were almost 1/2 plugged with gunk. All my Corvette get the M&M catch can as a very important mod.
              I agree a catch can is a useful addition. Not everyone agrees, and I'm way past getting into a debate about it. Everyone can make their own choices.
              Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Back in 2019, one of the reasons I bought my 2010 Camaro was the brand new 3.6L DOHC 24valve Direct Injection engine GM came out with. With all its positive attributes (having the injectors in the cylinders, as opposed to the intake manifold) I would soon learn there were some drawbacks. After less than 40,000. miles the car ran terrible, threw engine codes all the time and the fuel mileage was noticeably worse. I spent a fortune having multiple shops run their "intake cleaners" through that intake with no success. It wasn't until I went in there and manually cleaned every intake port/valve before the problem was solved. Wish I would have researched catch cans back then as well, but I didn't. I could show you pictures of all the oil I drained out of my newly installed catch can after the cleaning but other people in this thread have already shown you that. Instead, here are some before and after pictures I took of my intake ports/valves. Needless to say, I'm sold on catch cans for true DI engines.

Name:	IMG_8618_Original.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	266809

Name:	IMG_9027_Original.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	266808
                Attached Files
                Torch Red, 2LT, Z51, Q8T, AH2, TU7, FE4, J6N, Deposit July 23, 2019 - 2000 Jan. 20 - 3000 Feb.1 - TPW: July 27, 2020.

Comment

MilesC8 Newbie here and don't know much about the catch can..... I know that the catch can Prevents Oil from Entering Intake. But what does that protect? What does it keep clean? I assume you ordered directly from the UPR website. What options did you order with it?
                  3000 Status on 3/1/2021.
                  3LT Red Mist HTC. Jet Black Interior w/Red stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors
                  Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                  Adding AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, mirror caps, and front grill inserts.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post
                    MilesC8 Newbie here and don't know much about the catch can..... I know that the catch can Prevents Oil from Entering Intake. But what does that protect? What does it keep clean? I assume you ordered directly from the UPR website. What options did you order with it?
                    If you go back and read Meyerweb's post (# 48) he describes exactly what happens. The oil passing over the back of the intake valves get baked on from heat. It's a hard black carbon build up that is very difficult to clean. It slowly reduces the efficiency of air supplied to the cylinder to the point were eventually, the performance of the engine is adversely affected. Take a look at the valves in post #52 above. That engine is GM's 3.6L 24 valve DOHC. Corvettes LT2 is also a direct injection engine, and does has a PCV system that deposits oil into the intake, but how long this takes to happen, (if at all), in this engine, is not know to me.

Torch Red, 2LT, Z51, Q8T, AH2, TU7, FE4, J6N, Deposit July 23, 2019 - 2000 Jan. 20 - 3000 Feb.1 - TPW: July 27, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucketoy View Post

If you go back and read Meyerweb's post (# 48) he describes exactly what happens. The oil passing over the back of the intake valves get baked on from heat. It's a hard black carbon build up that is very difficult to clean. It slowly reduces the efficiency of air supplied to the cylinder to the point were eventually, the performance of the engine is adversely affected. Take a look at the valves in post #52 above. That engine is GM's 3.6L 24 valve DOHC. Corvettes LT2 is also a direct injection engine, and does has a PCV system that deposits oil into the intake, but how long this takes to happen, (if at all), in this engine, is not know to me.
                      The better ones also take out condensation... Been using catch cans for years. My C7 Z06 went from looking like an oil spill on the ranch when the SC cover was taken off to clean and dry after the can was added. Here is a picture of the inside of the SC before the can install after about 2k miles if memory serves. Note how clean the oil is.

Name:	20150615_095028.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	266924
                      Last edited by Busa Dave; 05-03-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I apologize for being stupid but what is SC.

Comment

Super Charger

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post
                            Super Charger
                            Thank you for explaining it in English. I have had a super charged car for years and no one has ever called it an SC car.

Comment

Originally posted by BuyPeaksSellDips View Post
                              Here's the link for the Catch Can I purchase.
                              https://www.uprproducts.com/2020-cor...catch-can-upr/

Comment

Originally posted by MilesC8 View Post

Here's the link for the Catch Can I purchase.
                                https://www.uprproducts.com/2020-cor...catch-can-upr/
                                ahhh thank you... I was looking at the wrong one..... Do I need the replacement o-rings or check valve?
                                3000 Status on 3/1/2021.
                                3LT Red Mist HTC. Jet Black Interior w/Red stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors
                                Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                                Adding AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, mirror caps, and front grill inserts.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X