Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Kai Spande BGA Manager

On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, you get to meet the Corvette Plant Manager for the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, Kai Spande!
Your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to Kai as he traces his career with GM. Kai talks about how the Bowling Green Assembly Plant transitioned from the front engine, C7 Corvette, to the mid-engine C8 Corvette. You'll get insights on the plant expansion and how they made that all happen...giving the new C8 Corvette a true state-of-the-art build facility. Kai also tells you about the Corvettes he has owned and the funny story of how he loved Corvettes, but never thought he'd get to work for it during his tenure at GM. Get to personally know Corvette Plant Manager, Kai Spande, on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
NEW!!! Get CORVETTE TODAY merchandise here: https://www.agpestores.com//lanmarxgraphix/grouppr...
See more
See less

DIY: Installed Oil Catch Can in HTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Installed Oil Catch Can in HTC

Installed a UPR Oil Catch Can in my HTC. Should help keep the valves clean. The kit was easy to install and is really well made.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210319_205020.jpg Views:	12 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	253071
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210319_205009.jpg Views:	11 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	253072
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210319_211757.jpg Views:	11 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	253073
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210319_211752.jpg Views:	10 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	253074
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210319_211554.jpg Views:	11 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	253075

I installed a catch-can years ago on my car, because I'd heard that oil-cooled turbochargers can pass oil through. As far as I can tell, it's never picked up any oil, even after years of hard driving. Does anyone have a catch-can that's actually trapped a significant amount?
    C8 ELB HTC, Z51
    MM deposit Oct. 2020, Status: 3300 (TPW 6/28/21)
    Suburban Chevrolet deposit Aug. 2019. Status:cancelled Apr. 2021 due to no progress after 20 months.
    Current: Saturn Sky Redline, many performance enhancements

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus MacBlorf View Post
      I installed a catch-can years ago on my car, because I'd heard that oil-cooled turbochargers can pass oil through. As far as I can tell, it's never picked up any oil, even after years of hard driving. Does anyone have a catch-can that's actually trapped a significant amount?
      Two, one on a Harley Dyna and one on a supercharged Mini Cooper S. I emptied it each oil change and had at least a good few ounces each time.
      Last edited by Davii1775; 03-23-2021, 09:13 AM.
      On Order: 2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4

Comment

Thank you Mobius! It does look extremely well made. Nice install job on your part. Would you please report back how it is working? Thank you.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I saw this on HorsePower Obsessed a while back and they didn't have one yet for the HTC. I emailed them back them and they said "oh, the convertible is different? We will have to look into that." Nice to see they followed through with the research and made it happen. By the way HorsePower has a discount code on his Youtube channel also, 10% off.
          2020 LBR HTC 2LT Z51 Magnetic ride, NPP Exhuast, 2 tone natural/black interior, high wing spoiler, Black Trident wheels, Carbon flash full length Ordered 2/15/2020 Built 9/11/2020 Shipped 10/7/202 Arrived 11/2/2020 In the garage

Comment

Anyone know if installing the catch can affects the warranty?

Comment

Absolutely will not affect your warranty.
              2020 LBR HTC 2LT Z51 Magnetic ride, NPP Exhuast, 2 tone natural/black interior, high wing spoiler, Black Trident wheels, Carbon flash full length Ordered 2/15/2020 Built 9/11/2020 Shipped 10/7/202 Arrived 11/2/2020 In the garage

Comment

Originally posted by Davii1775 View Post

Two, one on a Harley Dyna and one on a supercharged Mini Cooper S. I emptied it each oil change and had at least a good few ones each time.
                Had 4 mini’s.... last one I had was a JCW Red Convert... What a blast to drive... Top Down .... Radio UP 😎 We keep an S Countryman at the Beach for the Queen when I’m off chasing Mr. Big Fish... Love the Mini’s!
                202(1 or 2) Arctic White HTC Z51 with all the Goodies 😎

Comment

Note: with all due respect to the poster above, unless the MECF members also have “Harlan”, “Tadge” or even “Mary Barra” advising us “quote” that doing “this” to our C8 will have absolutely no effect on our GM warranty, I would strongly suggest you verify with your GM Dealer any mod you want to make to your car and it’s potential affect upon your warranty, prior to installing it. While many of us on this forum possess a veritable wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Corvette, unless they officially speak for and on behalf of GM, check with your dealer first and get it in writing.

As referenced in Warranty guide: This warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from
                  modification or alteration to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by
                  General Motors. Examples of the types of alterations that would not be covered include cutting, welding, or disconnecting of the vehicles original equipment parts and components.

Additionally, General Motors does not warranty non-GM parts,
                  calibrations, and/or software modifications. The use of parts, control module calibrations, software modifications, and/or any
                  other alterations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part, control module calibration, software modification,
                  and/or other alteration.
                  Last edited by hogyld; 03-23-2021, 05:59 AM.
                  07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

My Mustang catch can collects a teaspoon or so of oil every thousand miles
                    2021 Red Mist 3LT / Z51 /Front Lift / Black with Red trim HUU custom interior / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Red Belts and Stitching / TPW July 26th

Comment

The one in my C7 gets about an ounce every 1000 miles. Has since new. If yours isn't then either (1) it not designed right, (2) it's not installed right, (3) your PCV system isn't working right. Or, perhaps more likely, the system you installed, which is designed to catch oil coming through the turbo is a different design, since I don't think a normal catch can would have any effect on oil coming through the turbo. By design a PCV system takes crankcase vapors and puts them through the intake manifold. A catch can should be inline between the PCV valve and intake, and capture oil vapors before they get to the intake.
                      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

The one in my C7 gets about an ounce every 1000 miles. Has since new. If yours isn't then either (1) it not designed right, (2) it's not installed right, (3) your PCV system isn't working right. Or, perhaps more likely, the system you installed, which is designed to catch oil coming through the turbo is a different design, since I don't think a normal catch can would have any effect on oil coming through the turbo. By design a PCV system takes crankcase vapors and puts them through the intake manifold. A catch can should be inline between the PCV valve and intake, and capture oil vapors before they get to the intake.
                        Interesting points. I'll take a look. Thanks.
                        C8 ELB HTC, Z51
                        MM deposit Oct. 2020, Status: 3300 (TPW 6/28/21)
                        Suburban Chevrolet deposit Aug. 2019. Status:cancelled Apr. 2021 due to no progress after 20 months.
                        Current: Saturn Sky Redline, many performance enhancements

Comment

2021articspeed While I don’t disagree with you whatsoever, try winning a battle with the big three Automakers. I’ve done it. After providing copious amounts of evidence, dealer repair invoices, oil change receipts, and verified that I followed the Owners Manual on service intervals, I won the battle of having my fuel injectors replaced. Albeit, it was with Dodge and not GM, but I know how auto manufacturers can be with their warranties. They look for ways out of coverage, because let’s face it, if 10,000, 50,000, 100,000 or even 1 million potential repairs are challenged and won by GM, that increases their bottom line.
                          07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

Comment

Originally posted by hogyld View Post
                            2021articspeed While I don’t disagree with you whatsoever, try winning a battle with the big three Automakers. I’ve done it. After providing copious amounts of evidence, dealer repair invoices, oil change receipts, and verified that I followed the Owners Manual on service intervals, I won the battle of having my fuel injectors replaced. Albeit, it was with Dodge and not GM, but I know how auto manufacturers can be with their warranties. They look for ways out of coverage, because let’s face it, if 10,000, 50,000, 100,000 or even 1 million potential repairs are challenged and won by GM, that increases their bottom line.
                            Totally unrelated story so feel free to skip, and not one of the big three, obviously, but I had a run-in with Harley over the transmission in my 2006 Dyna 3 months after my warranty was out. They had initially, on only the 2006 Dyna as it was the first Harley with a 6 speed, said that the input shaft bearing should be replaced every 15k miles at HD cost for the life of the bike due to an engineering issue with the casing. What it was is they had not put locating dowels on any bolt holes between the primary and transmission on that first 6 speed and, over time, as bolts loosened the primary could shift downward putting pressure on the input shaft bearing. If it wiped out it ruined the entire transmission.

Well, I hit 14k on a trip from Palm Springs to San Diego out in the middle of the desert (Winchester) on a VERY hot day and when I got to a stop light and dropped it in neutral I heard a whirring noise, like a bad throwout bearing in older cars. I went straight to the dealership in Temecula who tore it down and verified it was the bearing. It wasn't gone, thankfully, but I needed the bearing replaced and new updated cases with locating dowels but my warranty had expired while I was deployed.

The MOCO initially denied the warranty claim from the dealership even though I provided the letter I received from Harley that this service be performed on their dime for the life of the bike because they had cancelled that. I followed their appeal process exactly as it was laid out and, within a couple weeks and shortly before I was going to start lawyering up instead of paying a $4,000 repair, I got a call from the dealership saying HD had decided to cover it, give me an entirely new transmission, and give me a loaner bike during the repair process.

It took them almost two months to get everything done as they ordered the wrong parts and messed a couple things up but I was riding a brand new Streetglide the entire time and put a TON of miles on it.

They wound up relenting based on my deployment, said it's HD policy to pause warranty coverage for service members while deployed, so my warranty was still in force. Even though that is the case I'm fairly certain they realized that this could get ugly if there does have to be legal proceedings, etc. due to them even initially saying that this was covered for the life of all 2006 Dynas and later canceling that service bulletin.
                            Last edited by Davii1775; 03-23-2021, 02:25 PM.
                            On Order: 2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4

Comment

In my experience with the HDMC, although I’ve had to “argue” my case with them, in the end, they did the right thing. Shouldn’t have to require the customer to argue at all. What’s right, is right and wrong is wrong. Unfortunately, many customers accept “NO” as an answer without having knowledge of warranty rights, or TSB’s or letters from the manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about your Dyna, but in the end, they did the right thing and that’s what’s important (headaches aside). 🤬

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X