Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

DIY: Reduce the heat in the C8 Corvette trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by undy View Post

No heat source there, just the trunk front and bottom.
    I think he meant where it wouldn't be visible (e.g., the back side of the panels, rather than the inside of the trunk panels).
    Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/17: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

That looks like a real practical mod for C8s. I haven't really carried anything but my roof panel in the rear trunk thus far, but I did notice how warm it was back there when I would return home and replace the roof panel. The panel was hot! I'll look into this for sure. With luggage in there, containing all sorts of liquids and creams, the possibility of over heating that stuff and it leaking out of its container a real, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
        those in the know use Gold Foil reflective insulation
        That's what I bought online for this.

Silver also has a lower emissivity than aluminum, but the gold looks better.
        My C8:
        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
          I think he meant where it wouldn't be visible (e.g., the back side of the panels, rather than the inside of the trunk panels).
          If you watch the video, that is what he did. That photo is a picture of the back side of the carpet in the trunk. He shows how to remove the carpet, apply the insulation to the back side and then reinstall the carpet. The insulation is not visible when you are done. Seems to me to be an easy mod to lower the heat in the trunk and probably worthwhile even if you are not PLANNING on putting anything back there that is sensitive to high heat.

Comment

Is it the same as this stuff? https://www.amazon.com/WISAUTO-Alumi...6519815&sr=8-4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 1.17.59 PM.png
Views:	195
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	253201Looks like it to me.
            Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/17: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Is it the same as this stuff? Looks like it to me.
              That is not the same stuff. Much more generic.
              Check out my YouTube channel for all kinds of Corvette content:
              www.youtube.com/horsepowerobsessed

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

That the trunk gets a little warm is typical for mid engines with a trunk back there. Oh yes, some exotics have totally overlooked that issue — not even having a trunk back there.

Seriously, GM upped the cooling capacity of the C8 with higher standards for cooling than even on the 755 HP ZR1. The testing of the cooling on the C8 was done not only for 100 degree ambient conditions but for the first time with air conditioning on max,

Thanks Tadge and team for both a cool frunk (for the liquids and food items), except he noted to put the pizza in the trunk to keep it warm on the way home. We customer need to pack smartly knowing chocolate bars go in the frunk not the trunk, etc.

In regards to the rear trunk, there is a quote in the MidEngine Revolution book from Mike Kociba (one of the team leaders for interior design) who stated, "The goal was to make it so that we could put a chocolate bar in that rear trunk and not have it melt". "It passed the Hershey test, we did a trial ourselves and put the chocolate bar back there, and sure enough, it did not melt".

Most of the after market exhausts I have seen in an attempt to increase the loudness (don't know why as it is almost too loud in sport mode when you step on the gas) have no extensive heat shielding on the exhaust. Since the exhaust and manifolds are so close to the engine according to Tadge, "the exhaust temperature coming out the exhaust tips is just as hot as the LT5 755 HP ZR1" and that is with the factory exhaust. That is why they are double wall in construction.

I believe people are taking a risk by modifying the exhaust without doing an in-depth analysis of the heat produced and the long term effects on the car and other surrounding components.

Comment

Talked to one of the GM guys at the NCM 25th who said he drove from Detroit with M&Ms in his luggage back there, and they were fine. Of course, M&Ms are designed not to "melt in your hand," so I don't know what that proves.

I would also like to see a comparison done in hot summer temps to see how high the trunk temperature is in those conditions.

Comment

Is it the same as this stuff? https://www.amazon.com/WISAUTO-Alumi...6519815&sr=8-4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 1.17.59 PM.png
Views:	195
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	253201Looks like it to me.
                    i saw that on amazon. I think it is much thinner. I found a 5mm thick material on etsy I just bought.
                    Deposit Aug 2, 2020
                    status 1100 Aug 29 / 3000 Feb 16/ 3300 April 2/ 3400 April 14/ 3800 April 23/ 4200 May 4/ Red Mist 3LT. Natural, Performance Exhaust. MRC. Edge red calipers. Trident spectra gray wheels. Battery maintenance package. My first corvette ever.

Comment

Originally posted by HorsePowerObsessed View Post

That is not the same stuff. Much more generic.
                      It is quite normal for youtubers to make money from their Youtube channels. Commercials etc. Some youtubers receive money to feature products. Can you confirm you are not paid to talk about this product or receive any monetary/other consideration for people buying the product via your link? Just for full transparency!
                      Placed order for 3LT, Rapid Blue, two-tone blue interior & splash guards. ETA Late 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post

It is quite normal for youtubers to make money from their Youtube channels. Commercials etc. Some youtubers receive money to feature products. Can you confirm you are not paid to talk about this product or receive any monetary/other consideration for people buying the product via your link? Just for full transparency!
                        Yes. This is not my product. It is a product made by TKO Performance. He sent me the product for free to test and these are my findings. I made my site to allow people to easily locate the items from my videos but they are sold and shipped by TKO Performance. I do get a small amount of each sale, but honestly, I'd get more from Amazon affiliate links so this is the best you can get for heat rejection while maintaining a low weight addition to the car. No one is paying me to say this.

Comment

The answer is: If you have an aftermarket exhaust be it headers,cats,cat backs unshielded. Don't put your ice cream back there or your eggs unless you want melted ice cream and hard cooked eggs. Half cooked lettuce and veggies are ugly but in a longer drive chicken wings,hot dogs and hamburgs saves the trouble of grilling on a picnic.

Comment

Without any specs on the product, it's hard to know just how it compares. The only spec TKO gives is "withstands 1000 degrees." The cheap stuff on Amazon says it withstands 2000 degrees, and reflects 90% of radiant heat. The TKO product doesn't really look any thicker than what's on Amazon. If we had some specs on thickness, material, etc. so we could compare, that might be useful. Hard for me to believe it's 5 times better, especially with no comparison testing.

This isn't a special product someone made just for the Corvette. It's a commercial product that TKO (and others, use Google) are rebranding. Amazon has multiple other similar products, too. All of them a lot less than $108. I'm not saying this product isn't effective, but this strikes me as the Corvette Tax taken to an extreme.

Comment

Look at Design Engineering Inc. They have all kinds of heat and sound control products, some specifically made for Corvettes.
                              There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                              2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                              79 coupe Silver/oyster
                              All one owner
                              Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by GTS Bruce View Post
                                The answer is: If you have an aftermarket exhaust be it headers,cats,cat backs unshielded. Don't put your ice cream back there or your eggs unless you want melted ice cream and hard cooked eggs. Half cooked lettuce and veggies are ugly but in a longer drive chicken wings,hot dogs and hamburgs saves the trouble of grilling on a picnic.

Unfortunately, it's not just for those with aftermarket exhausts or headers. The trunk gets very hot even with everything stock.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X