Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

DIY: Reduce the heat in the C8 Corvette trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Reduce the heat in the C8 Corvette trunk

The C8 Corvette trunk gets pretty hot with the engine being right next to it, but there is an easy and cheap way to reduce it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7DD4F699-5313-4EBF-AAFD-D0BCA149D368.jpeg
Views:	4458
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	252794
    Check out my YouTube channel for all kinds of Corvette content:
    www.youtube.com/horsepowerobsessed

What a fun video Justin! And what a practical application (now a Featured Slider thread).

I am very interested before summer arrives! Thank you!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      What a fun video Justin! And what a practical application (now a Featured Slider thread).

I am very interested before summer arrives! Thank you!
      Thanks, John! I appreciate the kind words.

Comment

Even for those who do not want to mod their C8’s, are concerned about their inability to do one, and/or the expensive of modding a Corvette, this one knocks those three concerns out of the park (e.g., none valid for this one).

We are heading down to Spring Mountain in the middle May for C8 track time (Corvette Owners School) and we all know it can get a little toasty there even then, so this one will be done before we leave.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          Even for those who do not want to mod their C8’s, are concerned about their inability to do one, and/or the expensive of modding a Corvette, this one knocks those three concerns out of the park (e.g., none valid for this one).

We are heading down to Spring Mountain in the middle May for C8 track time (Corvette Owners School) and we all know it can get a little toasty there even then, so this one will be done before we leave.
          Well said, John!

Comment

While this is obviously great, what about the possible drawback of
            1. Loss of power from hotter air in the filter region
            2. additional heating of the engine components (I know it gets plenty hot already but won't this accelerate wear or something?)

At the end of the day the benefits certainly outweigh the risks for most people, wonder why GM didn't do this from factory, especially when they were so proud of their new 'float' tech

Comment

Link to where to buy the matting?

did not see link on youtube.
              2020 Yellow LT2 convertible
              2015 Z51 LT2 Yellow coupe - sold
              2006 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
              2002 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
              1993 Yellow coupe - sold
              1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

Link to where to buy the matting?
                When watching the video, click the YouTube logo at bottom of screen. You will then be taken to YouTubes site and see the links below the screen.
                C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Cooler and therefore denser engine intake air will result in more power. The GM team has engineered the C8 to do fine in more than warm conditions (adopting the highest cooling standard in a Corvette ever). Myself, I would not be concerned about accelerated engine wear components

Comment

This is a pretty simple and inexpensive improvement for the C8. I am surprised GM did not include some heat shielding under the carpet, although I understand cost reduction is everything and they can usually count on the aftermarket to fix issues like these. Looks like a sensible modification for the cars. I have a 308 with the same issue and it did get pretty warm in the back trunk area. Fortunately the grocery runs were fairly short. There are a number of self adhesive heat shield products on Amazon but it would be nice support the poster's Youtube channel for his work.--Bob
                    Last edited by Warp Ten; 03-22-2021, 09:39 AM.
                    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
                    -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
                    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
                    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
                    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
                    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
                    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
                    NCM Lifetime Member
                    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
                    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

Are you just trapping more radiated heat in the engine area ?
                      3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

If this was a real problem GM would have engineered an improvement. They know more about it than we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralston View Post

When watching the video, click the YouTube logo at bottom of screen. You will then be taken to YouTubes site and see the links below the screen.
                          Already been there. Lots of links, but NO link that I can see for THIS product.

Maybe it is just my browser.

HorsePowerObsessed
                          Can you please post that link here?
                          Last edited by carbuff; 03-22-2021, 11:06 AM.
                          2020 Yellow LT2 convertible
                          2015 Z51 LT2 Yellow coupe - sold
                          2006 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
                          2002 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
                          1993 Yellow coupe - sold
                          1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by carbuff View Post

Already been there. Lots of links, but NO link that I can see for THIS product.

Maybe it is just my browser.

HorsePowerObsessed
                            Can you please post that link here?
                            It is the first link in the description under the video. If you can't find it you can go here: https://www.horsepowerobsessed.com/c...eat-shield-kit

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                              If this was a real problem GM would have engineered an improvement. They know more about it than we do.
                              It's never as easy as that. The real issue would have been the added cost. GM battled hard to keep this car under 60k for when it was announced and this kind of stuff would have put it over.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X