MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

C8 Caught In The Wild Testing! Best 7 ME Videos! Inside BGA : Jagamajajaran’s Video

2 of 4 < >

2019 Grand Sport Drivers Series Officially Revealed Tomorrow. LIst of C8 Poential Patents. Considerations In Modeling The C8

3 of 4 < >

Site Maintenance Starts @ 5:00 PM Today

Yesterday’s massive software update resulted in 3 things needing help. Some already corrected. Today we get up to a one hour maintenance/update time out.
4 of 4 < >

UPGRADED FORUM SOFTWARE

To keep our forum growing with the latest software, it was just upgraded. LIke all changes, our goal is for 100% success, but sometimes only 99% is achieved. If you notice that 1%, please start a thread entitled “Software Upgrade Difference. “ Thank you for within it describing what was different, worked better or not as well. Thank you.
See more
See less

Car and Driver reporting that C7 and C8 models produced together.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of what C&D writes, I can't see GM producing C7's alongside C8's. Particularly with so much unsold inventory. I'll put that speculation down alongside the 2019 NAIAS and Superbowl reveals.

Comment

Originally posted by C8Driving View Post
      Having front engine and rear engine Corvettes back to back on one assembly line means workers handling and installing the correct one of over 10,000 parts as the cars move in front of the workers station. I heard that GM tried to run them back to back last summer but it was not a successful experience.
      My entire work career is centered around production of one of the most if not the most sophisticated product types on the planet and you are very correct here. It is not something that is easy to do and MAKE money and build a 0 DEFECT product period end of story. We shall see...….

Comment

Corvette Blogger today reminded us of a statement that Tadge said after the C7 was out, when he said, “the C7 makes the C6 obsolete.” We all know that if he could have, he would never uttered that publicly, but he did, and it reflects how the Corvette team views the next generation Corvette in comparison to the last one.

The C8 will have so many advantages over the C7 — if nothing more than it was engineered years later. Time marches on, as do massive engineering automotive enhancements. The C8 will have so many of those. We already know that it will have a front axle lift system and many safety enhancements such as AEB, BSP, etc (though we do not know of course which ones will appear in year one, nor which ones will be standard equipment). Additionally, the infotainment system will be far enhanced. As will the motor and the transmission.

Even those enhancements of course are not the mid-engine’s bread and butter advantages such as better traction, acceleration, handling, and braking.

These factors need to be all factored in as folks consider whether C&D’s thesis is correct, that the front engined C7 would live on once the C8 starts customer production.
        So many questions about the ME right now; so few answers yet.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

The only way I irhe C7 continuing is if the C8 is dramatically more expensive than most of us think.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I had to register just to comment on this thread.

Originally posted by John View Post

GM has never done this before.
            GM has done this before. 2006 - 2008 had GM producing two different body styles of their trucks overlapping each other. You could buy the new body style and the old body style at the same time. Plenty of press out there on why they did this and how it was accomplished for the transition.

Originally posted by Nickhull View Post

The simple question is why would they?
            There are probably dozens of reasons. But the biggest one is the risk in an all new ground up anything, much less an all new ground up flagship model that everyone keeps their eye on. Up to this point the vette has been evolution, and there hasn't been a big risk in new tech, design, engineering, etc. Can the suppliers provide the new products at a quality and quantity to meet demand? How many recalls are they going to have? What about first year issues that are non-safety related and therefore not recalls? On any groundbreaking new product it is always wise to plan for this, and an easy way to mitigate the problems is to limit the initial sales and production numbers to something you can manage if things go tits up. If they are going to sell a low number of C8's why not offer the C7 alongside it at a reduced price (what they did with the trucks back in 2007) to keep customers happy.

There is also the possibility of pricing disparity. Lots of talk about the C8 being a $150k+ car. With the next car down potentially being a $25k Camaro. If the C8 is priced at that level then the C7 would slot in nicely to fill that gap. I mean, even a fully specced out ZL1 Camaro is still almost half the cost of a C8 in this scenario.

Then there is always the potential that GM has some contract with C7 suppliers that they have to adhere to for purchasing to the point that they would be left with a glut of C7 parts with nowhere to offload them. Low possibility of this, but hey.

Then you think about the December news where now the C8 may not be a 2020 MY due to electrical gremlins. It may slip to 2021. This kind of goes back to the first item, any revolutionary new product could experience delays to market. As such keeping a C7 overlap will ensure that they can continue to serve the market.

We could keep typing hypothesis surrounding the "Why" question for days...suffice to say there are plenty of reasons why they would do this.

Then there is the ubiquitous "How would they" line of questioning. I mean, common, this isn't rocket surgery. There are plenty of models they can apply to their process within their capabilities to accommodate this.

BUT - here's the "ah-ha" moment that I think everyone should have. Here is my hypothesis:

The car won't be a $150k+ car, because if it were priced at that level there would need to be a long term plan to plug the gap between the C8 and Camaro. You can have model overlap in the short term without any major huge industry moves (i.e. building a new plant, expanding a plant, etc). But if there were LONG TERM plans for model overlap (or in that instance it would just be two completely different permanent models) then you'd most certainly have to plan for the long term production of essentially a totally new model in addition to the current lineup. That would mean major news that just couldn't be hidden. A plant would be undergoing expansion, a new plant would be going up, something.

So I take this whole line of thinking to deduce that we will see the C8 be the successor to the C7 that may just have some production overlap, but as a successor we can expect the pricing structure to remain competitive with the current lineup.

Comment

Nicely thought out. Question please. Help me understand please what production overlap means to you in this process. To men, those two words could mean two very different things.

First it could mean that for the 2020 model year, that both the C7 is produced and the C8 is produced, but the former, C7, only manufactured during the first six months of the model year, and the C8 becomes the sole Corvette manufactured for the second half of the model year.

Or, are you thinking that at some point during the 2020 model year, we would see both the C7 and the C8 manufactured at the same time (whether that means back to back on the same assembly line, or different assembly lines)?

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Nicely thought out. Question please. Help me understand please what production overlap means to you in this process. To men, those two words could mean two very different things.

First it could mean that for the 2020 model year, that both the C7 is produced and the C8 is produced, but the former, C7, only manufactured during the first six months of the model year, and the C8 becomes the sole Corvette manufactured for the second half of the model year.

Or, are you thinking that at some point during the 2020 model year, we would see both the C7 and the C8 manufactured at the same time (whether that means back to back on the same assembly line, or different assembly lines)?
                To me a single year model may not be the only year of overlap. You *could* have the C7 in production until 2022 while the C8 is released in 2020. Nothing stopping that. But it will not be overlapped by more than 1-3y. <---my uninformed opinion only, just how I see the situation from a business standpoint

And yea, manufactured at the same time, either back to back on the same line (C8, C7, C8, C8, C7, etc)...in a batch process (1st week of every month is C8's and the rest of the month is C7's)...in a shift differential (Morning and afternoon is C7, night shift C8)...whatever they end up doing.

Comment

Thanks. I now fully understand your concept of production overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

To me it's a good time to stock up on the Z06! I really like the cabin room, plus you carry suitcases, you can mod the car. The incredible aftermarket support of the C7 is nothing short of amazing. C8 has a lot to make up!
                    Aftermarket support for corvette has been great for 20 years , people who want c7’s at even lower prices than they are now should wait until the C8 is released , the C8 is going to be a much bigger leap forward than the C7 was to the C6, based on mid engine and DCT alone.
                    GM will not produce a C7 and C8 at the same time, I think it’s silly to think that.
                    Last edited by TrainerDave; 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Welcome TrainerDave. Glad you just joined us. Mean looking Viper you have!
                      Last edited by John; 02-10-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Welcome TrainerDave. Glad you just joined us. Mean looking Viper you have!
                        Thank you John , I will probably be putting a ME vette next to it at some point looking forward to the actual release , the base model price will give us the basic idea of how much the top level trim will be, that will be the one I’ll buy.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X