MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Advantages of ME Over FE Configuration! Patent for Variable Width Spoiler

2 of 4 < >

C8 Caught In The Wild California Testing! Best 7 ME Videos! Inside BGA : Jagamajajaran’s Video

3 of 4 < >

2019 Grand Sport Drivers Series Officially Revealed Tomorrow. LIst of C8 Poential Patents. Considerations In Modeling The C8

4 of 4 < >

Site Maintenance Starts @ 5:00 PM Today

Yesterday’s massive software update resulted in 3 things needing help. Some already corrected. Today we get up to a one hour maintenance/update time out.
See more
See less

Car and Driver reporting that C7 and C8 models produced together.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the assembly line is different now but back in 2004 I took the factory tour and they were building C5 and C6 cars at the same time. All the C5s were LeMans Blue and I believe the C6s were pilot cars. Yes, the C5 and C6 were similar and the C7 and C8 will be a lot different but just pointing out that it could be done.
    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow
    1970 coupe - Bridgehampton Blue
    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow
    2016 Z06 - Laguna Blue

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Possibly the Blackwing engine will not be available for use in a Corvette when C8 production begins. Thus there is no engine for a C8 high performance model.

Comment

And if they produce both models simultaneously,that opens the door for a “MF” model. For those of us that just can’t make up our mind, the “Mid/Front” engine model. 😎😂🤪🙈
        The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Would love for someone to sketch a true mid engine car, with its motor literally in the middle of the car. If so, where would the driver sit? On the roof?
          So many questions about the ME right now; so few answers yet.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Discounted Z06’s are a great thing!

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
              And if they produce both models simultaneously,that opens the door for a “MF” model. For those of us that just can’t make up our mind, the “Mid/Front” engine model. 😎😂🤪🙈
              Technically, the C7 is a front mid-engine design, with the engine pushed back about as far as possible in a front engined car.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Would love for someone to sketch a true mid engine car, with its motor literally in the middle of the car. If so, where would the driver sit? On the roof?
                Probably look kinda like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine_School_District_school_bus.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	25351
                Attached Files
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Car and driver selling “fake news” to sell ad space.

c7 production ends. C8 production begins.

Take it to the bank.

Comment

With the big inventories of unsold C7 cars on dealer lots, making even more of them makes no sense, unless they are high margin variants in high demand and short supply that can be mostly assembled from remaining parts inventories.

Comment

My dealer is small by the standards of the big US sellers, but they are the biggest seller in Canada. For several months leading up to the end of the year they were carrying around 30 new cars in stock which didn't seem to be moving. I checked yesterday and they are down to 22. So around 8 sold in January. Which was a brutally unpleasant month weather-wise. The discounts must be working!

Comment

GM put $10K (US) to move out unsold C6’s; this was in addition to dealer discounts. I think that it would take a similar GM offering to move them.

einventory,com is again reporting that there are 8,000 unsold Corvettes, still a 162 day supply. That number is for the month of January.

However, as we earlier noted, if sales pick up nicely in the spring (with or without major GM to customer cash) that days supply amount could drop fast.
                        Last edited by John; 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          Car and driver selling “fake news” to sell ad space.

c7 production ends. C8 production begins.

Take it to the bank.
                          Agree 100% and yes a lot of people rationalize in their mind that this will happen (dual production) but it is just wishful thinking. This story is a couple of days old but "final Edition" is the key term here. https://www.motor1.com/news/303304/c...dition-Europe/

GM has a lot of money invested in the C8 and will not throw resources to keep both lines running just to wrap money around each C7 sold and take away from the Flagship Vehicle just introduced. That would be beyond colossally stupid. Emotion aside it is a no brainer as the C7 is a dead platform and even the Supply Chain knows it which is the absolute piece of knowledge needed to determine if production will continue some of these parts are long lead and very cost sensitive especially the electronic parts which have DMS issues Just as an example. There is nothing out there that is current data that indicates continued production of the C7.
                          Last edited by Busa Dave; 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Then again, the "Final Edition" is a Europe only model....

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            27,000+ miles

Comment

ME & FE’s together??? Returning to the OP, the following quote, there could be another perspective on this. First C&D’s quote which started this thread:

Originally posted by carand driver
                              hile there may be a gap between C7 and C8 models in Europe, that's not the case for America. We have it on good authority that there will be some overlap between production of the C7 and C8 Corvettes for the first year or two of the mid-engined C8 car's run, with the high-performance Z06 and ZR1 C7 models continuing on as Chevrolet builds out the C8 lineup beyond the base car, which will launch first.
                              . [Link in OP.]

In 2014, even though the brand new C7 Stingray was slower than the outgoing C6 Z06 and the ZR1, GM discontinued those higher performing models.

If the C8 is produced by itself, as I believe, that would remove the final underpinning of those who are saying that the FE will continue, and because some who have felt that way are waiting for the next model year or the next generation of the FE, they will finally have to say “uncle,” especially those who are manual transmission only and/or soft too convertible only Corvette lovers. That too will help GM move out those two groups of remaining 2019 FE’s.

Also, we all know that even if the mid engine Corvette is far better than drop dead gorgeous, some Corvette traditionalists will also never buy the the new/only C8. They will realize what many believe, that it is “now or never opportunity” for me to get a gorgeous, long-nosed, traditional looking Corvette. This group will, even if they were not planning to buy a Corvette for a couple of more years, realize that the dealer stock of my beloved FE Corvettes is dwindling daily, and I need to act now if I am ever going to get a new FE Corvette.

All of these things could well take pressure off of GM needing to put $10K onto the customers’ table to sell the last of the FE’s. Perhaps $5,000 would do the trick, or in the case of the manuals and the C7 soft top convertibles, this final realization of no more FE’s might totally obviate the need for GM to put any money onto the table to move those latter two C7 sub-groups out totally.

Last edited by John; 02-04-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Having front engine and rear engine Corvettes back to back on one assembly line means workers handling and installing the correct one of over 10,000 parts as the cars move in front of the workers station. I heard that GM tried to run them back to back last summer but it was not a successful experience.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X