Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

Exhaust in the trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust in the trunk

At times there is a terrible exhaust smell in the trunk of my HTC. I know, some are asking why would anyone go smelling around in the trunk, but it is a real problem in one case. When I go grocery shopping and put food in the trunk. When I get home at times the odor has permeated the food and I've had to throw it away. And my grocery store is only a 3 mile drive.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    I may be back to the Chevy dealer for my first "fix".

Sorry to hear that. That is the first time I have read that. Best of luck getting your dealer fix. Hopefully it is just a loose clamp and something just as easy to fix.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

My HTC trunk still has an adhesive smell to it, but no exhaust smell.

Comment

It might worth it to check out the seals on the top of the trunk that seal the hatch. I do not have an issue but that seems like the only way that anything could permeate the trunk since the rest of the trunk lining is pretty solid.
        2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, 2LT, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by RLCullum View Post
          At times there is a terrible exhaust smell in the trunk of my HTC. I know, some are asking why would anyone go smelling around in the trunk, but it is a real problem in one case. When I go grocery shopping and put food in the trunk. When I get home at times the odor has permeated the food and I've had to throw it away. And my grocery store is only a 3 mile drive.
          Has anyone else experienced this?
          I may be back to the Chevy dealer for my first "fix".
          Just a few questions here. If you stand in the back of the car with the engine running can you smell exhaust coming from the engine vent in front of the trunk. Also when you open the trunk can you tell if the seal is fixed and not distorted or moved. Are you smelling "exhaust " or is it just new engine burn off of various components. Can you Hear an exhaust leak . I had heat related engine smells during the 1st 200-300 miles but it has gone away. I have not smelled any exhaust type smell on anything I had put in the trunk. If you want to verify exhaust just get a CO detector and put it in your trunk and drive around and see if it goes off.

Comment

Guessing it is NOT an exhaust smell.
            It is the smell of uncured resin?
            Is this your first Corvette? Can you tell the difference? Resin smells acrid, exhaust smells sweeter....like exhaust.

Actual exhaust would have a hard time getting in there.
            If the trunk seal was compromised to let in exhaust, it would also let in fresh air when you are driving.
            So that's likely not it.

That body shop-strength resin stench permeates your groceries, and anything else in the trunk.
            It gets tiny bit better after a few thousand miles.

Keep your trunk open in the garage and it will dissipate faster.
            After a few years it will be gone. Yup, years and years.
            How do I know? Because this is not the first Corvette year that has this uncured resin issue. But it is particularly bad on the C8 trunk. The frunk is much less stinky.
            Last edited by carbuff; 02-23-2021, 02:01 AM.
            2020 Yellow LT2 convertible
            2015 Z51 LT2 Yellow coupe - for sale now!
            2006 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
            2002 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
            1993 Yellow coupe - sold
            1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

If you think you have an exhaust leak then you should not drive it until a Chevrolet service center can check it out.
              Exhaust leaks can cause larger damage to surrounding things. Or, not to be too dramatic, the fumes can also cause sickness or death.
              If you are uncertain then Get it checked out asap.
              B&B

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X