Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Little Known Features of The C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murray20c8
    replied
    Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
    A little know fact is there is a Sun glasses holder behind the Infotainment screen. lol
    I took a pic of the location through my window

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	247786

Leave a comment:

• Sabre
    replied
    Originally posted by pfbz View Post
    IMHO the steering is a bit numb without much feel... But that's a common complaint on many modern sports cars these days, Porsche & Ferrari included, since the've gone to electronic steering racks.
    I have heard that also, but I cannot figure out why the electronic motors dampen the "feel" more then hydraulic. I imagine the C8 grabbed the steering from the parts rack like this video on the chevy cruize steering system. Also, all I've heard is that "with the modes you can make it more precise , or more comfortable" a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo .. just like what they say for the brakes. Maybe it's simply more assist or less, or maybe they vary the assist at higher speeds.

Leave a comment:

• pfbz
    replied
    Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Reviews complain about the steering, but the steering is adjustable, tightening up in track mode and available in Z mode.
    IMHO the steering is a bit numb without much feel... But that's a common complaint on many modern sports cars these days, Porsche & Ferrari included, since the've gone to electronic steering racks.

The 'adjustability' on the C8 just makes it 'stiffer', but really doesn't give it any more (or less) road feel.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    I don't know so I can't help you there.

Leave a comment:

• Warp Ten
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil H View Post
    Well, there is this on page 170/171 in the 2020 manual and it will probably work if the ignition is still on after the engine stalls:

If ENGINE START/STOP is pressed twice while at a relatively high speed, the engine will turn off and the transmission will automatically shift into N (Neutral).
    Once the vehicle is stopped, P (Park) can be selected.
    This may be a bit out of place, but I wonder if you know if this was also true for C7s. I always wondered if you are letting someone else drive and they got carried away whether one could stop the car as if taking a key out. Sounds like in the C8 it is possible but don't know about a C7. I will have to rummage through my manual to see. --Bob

Leave a comment:

• WillRockwell
    replied
    Reviews complain about the steering, but the steering is adjustable, tightening up in track mode and available in Z mode.

Leave a comment:

• pfbz
    replied
    Driver Leaves Vehicle : To place the vehicle in N (Neutral) with the engine off and the vehicle unoccupied:
    1. Ensure the vehicle is on level ground, the engine is running and the vehicle is in P (Park).
    2. Apply the brake pedal.
    3. Open the door.
    4. Shift to N (Neutral).
    5. Turn off the engine and release the brake pedal.
    6. The indicator should continue to show N. If it does not, start the engine and repeat Steps 2–5.
    7. Exit the vehicle and close the door.
    Very good info, though not very intuitive. I hope I remember this if I ever have a dark, cold night in the future if I need to push or winch the vehicle in neutral.

Leave a comment:

• refereechad
    replied
    Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

Did I not say that? or are you just agreeing with me?
    Agreeing with you. There is so much negativity on the interwebs now-days, I'm trying a little positive reinforcement and throwing people for a loop.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    Good idea meyerweb, I didn't see your post until after I had completed mine.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Thanks again NeilH! This is excellent information.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    Well, there is this on page 170/171 in the 2020 manual and it will probably work if the ignition is still on after the engine stalls:

If ENGINE START/STOP is pressed twice while at a relatively high speed, the engine will turn off and the transmission will automatically shift into N (Neutral).
    Once the vehicle is stopped, P (Park) can be selected.

So, yeah, I had to go check this out!
    And I found a few interesting things after pushing the Engine Start/Stop button twice while moving/driving (maybe some of these points should have been in the manual):
    • The dash info screen will prompt you. You push it once, it says push it again to shut off the engine, otherwise is ignores it after a couple of seconds.
    • If you are going under 5 mph, forward or reverse, the engine shuts off and the electronic park brake engages (and stays on) and you come to a stop (without pushing the brake pedal), still in N, and says "Shift to Park".
    • If you are going at any speed over 5 mph, the engine shuts off, it goes to N and verifies that to you on the dash info screen.
    • You don't lose power braking and brakes work as normal as if the engine was running -- even after the 15 brake applications that I tried.
    • You don't lose power steering until you shift to Park.
    • Once stopped, you can use the Electronic park brake as many times as you want and it will allow you to push/pull the car once it is released.
    So all this allows you to coast to a safe location, with normal power steering and power braking, if the engine stalls while driving.
    Once your are stopped, you can still push/pull the car as long as you don't put it in park.

This is great engineering and terrific applications of that engineering!

Let us not forget one of the most important components on this car - the battery and it's cable connections that provide operation of all the electrical/electronic components this car employs.
    None of the above will work if you have a bad enough cable connection at the battery and you will not have the advantages mentioned above in a stall situation.
    Keep your battery maintained/charged and properly cleaned.
    And maybe most importantly, keep the cable connections cleaned and sealed with a grease of some sort (even if your service department doesn't do this) -- especially important since we know water does get in that area when you see water in the shock tower wells (even on the 21's that no longer have the drain holes from the bottom of the windshield area).

If anyone wants to put part or any of this in another topic or in a new topic, please do so.

And thanks Boomer for starting this topic!
    Last edited by Neil H; 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by 5632 View Post
    I certainly don't want to be off subject but I still don't know how to move my C8 if the engine will not run and I need to push it off the road in neutral.
    Maybe this thread would be a better place to discuss it: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8#post246305

Leave a comment:

replied
    I certainly don't want to be off subject but I still don't know how to move my C8 if the engine will not run and I need to push it off the road in neutral.

Leave a comment:

• Sabre
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil H View Post
    ...I tried this one and noted that it stayed in accessory/ignition on mode and it remained in neutral for over an hour.
    I was able to push it to verify that it was actually in neutral.
    Neil H you never let us down. I've read through countless posts on this and the other forum. There were 2 claims of "when I opened the door, the car shifted into PARK" countering the text on page 172. Yes, I'm at 4200 and the first thing I was going to try was this neutral thing!

I agree with your hypothesis, about the spring on the PARK pawl. Also, I believe the solenoids that shift simply gate hydraulic pressure to move the forks. Therefore, you can't shift without the pumps (via the engine) turning. I imagine shifting to PARK disengages all gears (as in the NEUTRAL state).

As Meyerweb said, it's too bad We can't shift the car into neutral without the engine running, maybe in a few years (didn't even notice that there was a revised owners manual!).

No need for a separate thread, this "Little known feature" is solved.

Leave a comment:

• Murray20c8
    replied
    Originally posted by refereechad View Post

Yes, it does.
    Did I not say that? or are you just agreeing with me?

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X