Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Little Known Features of The C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugolino View Post

This was the most surprising thing about my C8 the first time I sat in it and started it up. The passenger cabin feels like a cocoon. Not in a bad way, it's just very very different from any other Corvette I've ever owned.
    This is what worries me about the coupe... I'm reallllly hoping the wife gets enough exhaust note in the car... or we'll be ordering an aftermarket one over the winter...lol
    She had the Corsa extreme cat back on her C5 vert and at times she complained it was too quiet.
    Brian Huber
    Previous Corvettes
    2002 Z06 - SCCA autocross car - 58SSR ( Sold 4/20 )
    2003 Vert - Wife's stress relief/therapy car ( Sold 7/20 )

2021 Coupe Black #6936 - Natural two-tone. 2LT, Mag-ride, NPP, Edge Red Calipers. NCM delivery ( Status 3000 as of 1/11/21 , 3300 as of 2/16/21, 3400 as of 3/9/21, 3800 as of 3/15/21, NCM Delivery 3/29)

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
      I may have missed it somewhere but how do you put it into manual in the event of an emergency and you need it move or load it without the engine running?
      You don't, really. GM sells a special tool that attaches to the top of the DCT (on the passenger side, IIRC), that someone then has to twist and hold in place to disengage the parking pawl. A tool that will never be available when the car needs to be towed unless you buy one and keep it in the trunk, AND the tow truck operator lets you sit on the engine while he pulls your car up on the flat bed.
      Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

soooooooo.... you can't put your car in an enclosed trailer on your own with a winch... that ...stinks.
        Brian Huber
        Previous Corvettes

2021 Coupe Black #6936 - Natural two-tone. 2LT, Mag-ride, NPP, Edge Red Calipers. NCM delivery ( Status 3000 as of 1/11/21 , 3300 as of 2/16/21, 3400 as of 3/9/21, 3800 as of 3/15/21, NCM Delivery 3/29)

Comment

Originally posted by AverageVetteNut View Post
          soooooooo.... you can't put your car in an enclosed trailer on your own with a winch... that ...stinks.
          You can if you leave the engine going in neutral.
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

When using the remote start the engine will shut off if you open the rear hatch (trunk).
            Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
            3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

You can if you leave the engine going in neutral.
              Ahhhhh ok.
              Brian Huber
              Previous Corvettes

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

You don't, really. GM sells a special tool that attaches to the top of the DCT (on the passenger side, IIRC), that someone then has to twist and hold in place to disengage the parking pawl. A tool that will never be available when the car needs to be towed unless you buy one and keep it in the trunk, AND the tow truck operator lets you sit on the engine while he pulls your car up on the flat bed.
                Most tow truck drivers up here have a dolly with them. The put a set of wheels on the dollies and then lift and tow from the other end.

Comment

Most tow truck drivers up here have a dolly with them. The put a set of wheels on the dollies and then lift and tow from the other end.
                  That's certainly true for hook type tow trucks, but I'm not sure if most flat bed operators carry wheel dollies. I hope so, but I've read one post from someone who had to have his C8 towed after it blew all its coolant out of a broken line, and the tow operator just dragged the locked rear wheels over the pavement and up the flatbed.
                  Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

That's certainly true for hook type tow trucks, but I'm not sure if most flat bed operators carry wheel dollies. I hope so, but I've read one post from someone who had to have his C8 towed after it blew all its coolant out of a broken line, and the tow operator just dragged the locked rear wheels over the pavement and up the flatbed.
                    And after I said that I remembered when I needed a tow on the highway he could only lift one end until he dragged the car to an exit. It was too dangerous to turn around. That certainly won't work on the C8. I guess a couple of bottle jacks should be in the trunk. lol

Comment

This is sounding like first and great disappointment of my C8. If I run out of gas and the engine will not run I cannot push it over to the side or off the road. What would you do if it quit in the middle of an intersection?

Comment

Might I suggest we get this thread back on topic, to hidden features, and start a new thread on the DCT neutral issue if necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil H View Post
                          But it needs hydraulic pressure to do this which is created by a gear driven pump in the DCT.
                          Wait a second .... It was stated earlier that
                          16Falcon said "And if you shut it down in Neutral it will stay in Neutral until you open the door, then it shifts itself into park."
                          The manual says you can shut the engine off in Neutral.
                          As soon as the car senses you trying to escape, it will shift into PARK.
                          This means it can perform a shift into PARK, with the Engine off.

Is there residual hydraulic pressure?
                          The shifting actuators are "electro-hydraulic". This could mean that an Electric plunger, pushes fluid to actuate the shift levers.
                          2021 Coupe, AYellow,z51,Mag,2LT,JetBlk,GT2,LIft,Dual RoofTransparent Deposit:4/20; 2000 12/18/20; 3800 2/22/21;4200 3/1/21; 5000 3/3/21

Comment

Might I suggest we get this thread back on topic, to hidden features, and start a new thread on the DCT neutral issue if necessary?
                            Since this DCT business and C8 towing itself is such a challenge, I started a separate thread:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ay-to-tow-a-c8

Hopefully some of the good info here can be included on that dedicated thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                              Wait a second .... It was stated earlier that
                              16Falcon said "And if you shut it down in Neutral it will stay in Neutral until you open the door, then it shifts itself into park."
                              The manual says you can shut the engine off in Neutral.
                              As soon as the car senses you trying to escape, it will shift into PARK.
                              This means it can perform a shift into PARK, with the Engine off.

Is there residual hydraulic pressure?
                              The shifting actuators are "electro-hydraulic". This could mean that an Electric plunger, pushes fluid to actuate the shift levers.
                              You guys don't have to climb out the window or roof.
                              This is from pg 172 in the manual (the bold and underline is only to make it more readable):

To shift into N (Neutral), press and hold the N (Neutral) switch until the N indicator is red.
                              To shift out of N (Neutral): 1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop. 2. Shift into the desired gear.
                              Maintaining N (Neutral) with Engine Off
                              This vehicle includes a method of keeping the vehicle in N (Neutral) while the engine is off.
                              This method is not to be used for vehicle towing. If the vehicle needs to be towed, see Towing the Vehicle pg 272.
                              Driver Remains in Vehicle : To place the vehicle in N (Neutral) with the engine off and the vehicle occupied:
                              1. Ensure the vehicle is on level ground, the engine is running and the vehicle is in P (Park).
                              2. Apply the brake pedal.
                              3. Shift to N (Neutral).
                              4. Turn off the engine and release the brake pedal.
                              5. The indicator should continue to show N. If it does not, start the engine and repeat Steps 2–4.
                              6. The vehicle will now remain in N (Neutral).
                              Driver Leaves Vehicle : To place the vehicle in N (Neutral) with the engine off and the vehicle unoccupied:
                              1. Ensure the vehicle is on level ground, the engine is running and the vehicle is in P (Park).
                              2. Apply the brake pedal.
                              3. Open the door.
                              4. Shift to N (Neutral).
                              5. Turn off the engine and release the brake pedal.
                              6. The indicator should continue to show N. If it does not, start the engine and repeat Steps 2–5.
                              7. Exit the vehicle and close the door.
                              8. The vehicle may automatically shift to P (Park) upon re-entry.

I tried this one and noted that it stayed in accessory/ignition on mode and it remained in neutral for over an hour.
                              I was able to push it to verify that it was actually in neutral.
                              At the end, I opened the door, the electric park brake applied at the rear wheels, the accessory/ignition mode turned off and the "P" indicator was on.

I need to add to my previous post:

"The hydraulic pressure is gone as soon as the engine stops and then the park lock is engaged by spring pressure."
                              I should have said that the pump is no longer turning and creating hydraulic pressure.

The following is what makes the most sense to me:
                              The park solenoid valve can be held applied electrically, retaining the hydraulic pressure in the park shifter, without the engine running.
                              This will retain the hydraulic pressure (after the engine is turned off) to hold the park shifter out of the Park position.
                              As soon as this solenoid loses electrical power, it drains this fluid pressure and spring pressure moves the shifter into the park position.

There are other possibilities like an accumulator to store pressure or a large electric solenoid moving the shifter or an electric motor or plunger to create hydraulic pressure but I think those are less likely.

Neutral is used to enable moving the car by pushing or pulling whether the engine is running or not.
                              Neutral is also used when the engine turns off while driving, allowing you to come to a safe stop before shifting into park.

BTW Sabre, you went to 4200 today -- exciting and won't be long now!
                              Mine went to 4300 one day after 4200 and I picked it up one month later.
                              TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                              Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

When using the remote start the engine will shut off if you open the rear hatch (trunk).
                                Yes, it does.
                                2020 Z51 2LT Ceramic Matrix Gray / Mag / Front Lift / GT2 / Red Interior

Downpayment: 08/17/2019
                                Initial TPW: 04/27/2020
                                3000 Status: 01/21/2020 (TPW: 04/27)
                                May 26 TPW: 07/13/2020
                                3300 Status: 08/14/2020 (TPW: 08/31)
                                3400 Status: 08/20/2020
                                Car Built: 09/01/20 / 1st C8 of Sept 2020

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X