Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Keith Cornett & Steve Garrett Present The Latest C8 News

We are thrilled to say that this podcast begins year #2 for CORVETTE TODAY!  Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com teams up with your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, to keep you on top of what's going on in the world of Corvette.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...il-2021-ev2565
Here are some of the topics covered in this podcast:
1.  April 2021 Constraints and Production Update – 11000 orders still to produce
3.  Zeus Bronze and Sebring Orange are now no longer available for order
3.  Corvette is the fastest selling new car for the 3rd month in a row!
4.  Corvette dominates Q1 sales with 51% marketshare
5.  Corvette has highest model loyalty in Luxury Sports Car segment
6. Sportscar 365 says GM Racing will make a decision on LMDH & GTD Pro in 45 days
7.  Digital Paint samples for three new 2022 colors revealed
8.  Tonowanda #1 Team Badges available for sale at Chevy Parts Counter
9.  Corvettes at Carlisle to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ’96 Grand Sport
10.  Supercar Blondie is a fan of the C8 Corvette!
See more
See less

Ice Lake Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Lake Driving

Has anyone taken their C8s to frozen lake ice driving, or has frozen lake ice driving experience in general? I'm tempted to do given the ice driving event. According to their event page, it's currently 16-inch thick ice at a Wisconsin Lake now. The snowiest thing I've done was the usual winter driving.

Follow me @smurf.vette on Instagram -- https://www.instagram.com/smurf.vette

Brave person to even contemplate that. May you and your C8 return safely!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

That sounds like fun. I bet the C8 is going to handle it pretty well with all of the weight in the back compared to most front engine vehicles.
      From your picture above looks like the tires are leaving a nice footprint without scatter.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

It's a Great Spectator Sport for me

Try not to end up in a Farmers Insurance Commercial
        [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
        [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

Living in the upper midwest, I’ve done my share of ice fishing. 16” of ice is enough to have such an event - more than enough. But, after having my truck on the ice many times, there is no way I’d have a car out there, much less a sports car. The ice is usually very rough from buckling, swells, melt/re-freeze and etc. Unless they had some way of smoothing out the ice (no idea how they’d do that...), I wouldn’t take your C8 out there. Find a large empty parking lot and do donuts until you get tired! 😊
          2021 Red Mist HTC, 3LT, Black interior w/suede inserts and red stitching, Z51, Mag Ride, E60 lift, interior CF, Spectra Gray Tridents, and Edge Red Calipers. Status 2000 on 2/11/21. Status 3000 on 2/18. Status 3300 on 4/1. Status 3400 on 4/15. TPW 4/19.

Comment

Originally posted by First Vette View Post
            Living in the upper midwest, I’ve done my share of ice fishing. 16” of ice is enough to have such an event - more than enough. But, after having my truck on the ice many times, there is no way I’d have a car out there, much less a sports car. The ice is usually very rough from buckling, swells, melt/re-freeze and etc. Unless they had some way of smoothing out the ice (no idea how they’d do that...), I wouldn’t take your C8 out there. Find a large empty parking lot and do donuts until you get tired! 😊
            Not necessarily, a lot of frozen lakes are very smooth once you get way from shore where the ice fishing takes place.

I did some oval ice racing on frozen lakes up in Canada years ago using motocross bikes modified to a flat track spec.

The tires had sheet metal screws inserted, double count on the left side, and the traction was impressive. More than on dirt but not as much as the Euros who use inch long spikes!

The lake surface was as smooth or more so than a normal dirt racing oval. Any surface irregularities were quickly shaved away by the tires.

I doubt you'll be putting screws in your tires though!😏

Looks like fun though, check the link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7FhnzDnzJtBwU6

Comment

Denizen - Thank you! Clearly, the guys I’m hanging with are destroying the ice! I just learned something. 👍🏻😊
              2021 Red Mist HTC, 3LT, Black interior w/suede inserts and red stitching, Z51, Mag Ride, E60 lift, interior CF, Spectra Gray Tridents, and Edge Red Calipers. Status 2000 on 2/11/21. Status 3000 on 2/18. Status 3300 on 4/1. Status 3400 on 4/15. TPW 4/19.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                It's a Great Spectator Sport for me

Try not to end up in a Farmers Insurance Commercial
                Indeed - I don't want to end up at the bottom of the lake, but it sure does sound like fun and learning a lot of car control at the limit.

Comment

That is true - I'm happy to daily drive in winter and full snow, but frozen ice lake is a different story and domain for me. I'm sure I will change a few pairs of underwear from Code Brown just trying to slowly drive from ground to lake surface!

Here's a pic from a neighborhood journalist out capturing some snowpocalypse when I happened to drive by him! (Photo credit to the journalist: Bill Rush) -- I guess it's a perfect substitute for Harlan Charles' famous winter picture this year

Click image for larger version  Name:	145125134_10224687433202098_726230961535763544_o.jpg Views:	11 Size:	821.7 KB ID:	242265
                  Last edited by KK87; 02-17-2021, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

Not necessarily, a lot of frozen lakes are very smooth once you get way from shore where the ice fishing takes place.

I did some oval ice racing on frozen lakes up in Canada years ago using motocross bikes modified to a flat track spec.

The tires had sheet metal screws inserted, double count on the left side, and the traction was impressive. More than on dirt but not as much as the Euros who use inch long spikes!

The lake surface was as smooth or more so than a normal dirt racing oval. Any surface irregularities were quickly shaved away by the tires.

I doubt you'll be putting screws in your tires though!😏

Looks like fun though, check the link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7FhnzDnzJtBwU6
                    If I'm doing, I'm running my Michelin PA4 winter tires, and most people seem to just get a regular set of winters to drive on it just for fun. I know of a gentleman from Edmonton, AB who runs Nokian Hakkapelita studded winter tires on his C8! Here's the picture of his car -- https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ6--mFFkiU

Comment

When I was in the Air Force stationed in North Dakota I saw a guy in a new Corvette (1976) driving on a frozen lake. Being from Ontario, California I had never seen such a thing. Sooooo, I took my ‘69 Charger out there. What a blast! No traction what so ever but fun. The guy in the Corvette had snow tires and actually made it look easy. Me, not so much!

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	145125134_10224687433202098_726230961535763544_o.jpg Views:	11 Size:	821.7 KB ID:	242265

Great pic! I love Wrigley - and that beautiful C8!

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Interested View Post
                          When I was in the Air Force stationed in North Dakota I saw a guy in a new Corvette (1976) driving on a frozen lake. Being from Ontario, California I had never seen such a thing. Sooooo, I took my ‘69 Charger out there. What a blast! No traction what so ever but fun. The guy in the Corvette had snow tires and actually made it look easy. Me, not so much!
                          “Why Not” Minot or GF? I did a couple of years at Minot. Dear goodness, that place is cold. 🥶

Comment

One of the SCCA regions near here hosts ice runs, essentially autocross on ice. An independent club here does the same. I also ran, many years ago, w2w ice races.

Guidelines are set for temps/ ice thickness to host the events.

Lots of fun.
                            Al Chan
                            2020 C8: Z51/FE4 2LT Coupe; Long Beach Red/Natural Napa competition bucket seats; some other minor stuff
                            Other Corvette experiences: '69 427/390 coupe; '92 Z07 coupe; '03 Z06; '09 Z06

Comment

Great pic! I love Wrigley - and that beautiful C8!
                              I wasn't expecting him to be there and it was totally a coincidence. Now the picture was circulated in the Car Spotter and neighborhood gossip page, hahah! But yes, I've ordered a 60" x 40" poster print from the photographer to make it a bedroom wall poster like a child dreaming in a snowglobe! 😁😀

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X