Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

PDI: Bolts missing, front brake ducts installed improperly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDI: Bolts missing, front brake ducts installed improperly?

2021 C8 HCT, Delivered 1/29/21, 510 miles

Decided to install grill screens today, I'll write that up separately. The issue is that several T15 screws were clearly missing underneath. I could tell it was not a factory omission, as there were indents in the plastic where the screws had previously made contact.

I further noticed that the front brake duct assemblies didn't appear to be fastened correctly. They are loose, and clips that look like they should snap into something are not connected. It isn't really obvious whats wrong here, perhaps a piece missing, if anyone has the full instructions for installation of Z51 front ducts, I'd appreciate posting it up.

OK, I will admit, one of my major pet peeves is dealer mechanics being careless and supervisors never doing any QA on their teams work... And while this is a comparatively minor issue, It just irritates me that the only non-factory wrench to ever touch my car did a poor job. What else during PDI were they incredibly sloppy with?

And will they do a better job when I bring it in for them to fix what they did poorly the first time?

Front brake ducts. Something definitely doesn't look correct here:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaps in Ducts.jpeg
Views:	592
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	241821

Three missing T15 screws:

Name:	brake ducts C8 - 2.jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	241822

Name:	brake ducts C8 - missing screws 2.jpeg
Views:	423
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	241823

The only instructions I've seen:

Name:	brake duct installation notes.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	241824
    Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
    Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Perhaps it occurred right before lunch break, or they were interrupted with a question. Regardless of the reason, this is basic mechanics 101 and unquestionably should never have occurred.
    07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

Here are the official GM install instructions:

Name:	20B67E85-5DA7-4A9A-BE47-2BAE11FD8E8B.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	241834

Name:	39ADEDBB-F45D-470D-B92E-AD5BF52B7F8F.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	241835

Name:	E14CC5D1-B8C7-44BF-9058-81823B419DFC.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	241836
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

You're the Customer, don't ever apologize for wanting a Job you're paying for to be done right.

Any good Mechanic worth their weight in salt would appriciate the feedback and a thanks for bringing it to their attention.
        [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
        [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

If I can make a suggestion.... and I'll preface the suggestion by saying that I've worked with and around major dealerships for 20+ years. Contact your dealership, asap. If it's inconvenient for your schedule to take your car to them asap, at least call them. Regardless, how you contact them, talk ONLY to the Service Manager. Do NOT go through a Service Writer or anyone else. Tell him/her what you suspect and let them do their job. You'll find out very quickly what kind of dealership you're working with and whether or not you might want to try elsewhere for future maintenance.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.
          Last edited by kdlp; 03-03-2021, 02:50 PM.
          2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - 3800 status, scheduled for build 4/14 - Shipping "Delayed"

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Here are the official GM install instructions

Name:	E14CC5D1-B8C7-44BF-9058-81823B419DFC.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	241836
            Thanks. Only page 1 seems to apply to the front ducts, and they don't mention at all the grille funnel piece that I'm referring too. Maybe that isn't a PDI part installed part??

Comment

Originally posted by kdlp View Post
              ... talk ONLY to the Service Manager. Do NOT go through a Service Writer or anyone else. ..
              I completely agree... I always deal directly with the service manager if anything doesn't go right the first time...

Funny (or not so funny) side-note: When I picked up the car (courtesy delivery, by the way), after the assigned delivery guy went through everything, was about to leave, I asked him to bring me over to service and introduce me to the service manager. I wanted to begin a relationship with them for future service needs...

Well I guess we caught him off guard when we pulled in the service bay entrance, cause he was sitting on a stool with his belt undone, zipper down, pants partially open. Not in a gross sexual way, but he was a very "large" fellow and I think he was just uncomfortable and needed a bit more "space". Nevertheless, it definitely didn't leave a stamp of "professionalism" on the experience and I think I'll be going elsewhere for future service.

At this point, I think I'll go buy three of the missing T15 screws and check further into the spoiler duct issue.

Anyone know the part number for the little T15 screws that are used all over the underbelly of the car?

Name:	bolt - 1.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	241868

Comment

I guess now you know why you got sloppy service in the first place....

Comment

Hi. I found both front lower control arm deflectors in the bag with all the rear brake ducts in my trunk when I picked up my beautiful C8 last month. The instructions seem pretty clear to me that they are not optional like the back brake ducts. Was wondering if this is common, and whether or not I should go back and have them installed right away or wait until there's another reason to go back. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post
                    Decided to install grill screens today, I'll write that up separately. The issue is that several T15 screws were clearly missing underneath. I could tell it was not a factory omission, as there were indents in the plastic where the screws had previously made contact.
                    If it’s any consolation, when I installed my grill screens I was missing one of those T15 screws as well. I didn’t notice whether there were indents in the plastic. My car is a non Z51 so I doubt the under body panels were removed during PDI. I had installed a Novistretch bra which required replacing the front middle T15 screw with a snap so fortunately I had that T15 screw as a spare.

Originally posted by eland11 View Post
                    Hi. I found both front lower control arm deflectors in the bag with all the rear brake ducts in my trunk when I picked up my beautiful C8 last month. The instructions seem pretty clear to me that they are not optional like the back brake ducts. Was wondering if this is common, and whether or not I should go back and have them installed right away or wait until there's another reason to go back. Anyone have any ideas?
                    If it were me I would take it back to them and make them install the ducts like they should have during PDI. It’s my understanding that all you should have is the lower rear duct pieces, everything else should be installed during PDI.

Comment

Thanks
                      Sadly, it seems all too common, even at some of the larger dealers. GM's instructions seem pretty clear to me, but I guess reading comprehension isn't a required skill to get a job doing PDI. I would at least contact the service manager and tell them what you've found, and that you want them installed per the PDI instructions the next time you come in. And if they try to tell you they're not supposed to be installed, print out a copy of the PDI sheet and drive it over to them in person.
                      Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I'll take a look under there while I install the grill mesh this weekend.

Comment

Thanks
                          Same thing when I picked my C8 up from the courtesy deliver dealership - front and rear deflectors/ducts were in a plastic bag in the trunk. Since it was a long drive from home, I didn't sweat it. I installed the front deflectors myself - it was a very simple job and took 10 minutes once I had the front lifted. Left all the rear parts in the bag and put them up on a shelf in the garage.

Comment

Shiumai, exactly what I did with my Dealer. I do not have any direct plans of tracking the C8 right now. If, the time comes, I will install them myself.
                            Also, to the Op I feel your pain and the reason I do as much as I can myself (on all my Vehicles).
                            The other thing that the GM Service Depts are starting to do is push service that is not needed and not required.
                            My Cadillac dealer and the Chevrolet dealer that does work in Florida while I Winter there both did this. Once they get the Car in the back they text you while waiting making it sound like your vehicle will not make it off the lot if you do not have these things done. BS.
                            To me, that is Dishonest.
                            Stupid I can somewhat tolerate but Dishonesty never.
                            B&B

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post

I completely agree... I always deal directly with the service manager if anything doesn't go right the first time...

Funny (or not so funny) side-note: When I picked up the car (courtesy delivery, by the way), after the assigned delivery guy went through everything, was about to leave, I asked him to bring me over to service and introduce me to the service manager. I wanted to begin a relationship with them for future service needs.....

I sold BMWs and MINIs in my "early retirement" for seven years. In those days, the sales person responsible for the sale also did the full delivery with the customer (the often-ironically- named Geniuses do them now). It was always part of our delivery process to introduce the customer to the service manager (or a good service advisor if he was not available). If your sales person doesn't do this automatically I do agree with pfbz that you should request that he do so, but even if he doesn't or if you forget, I would always recommend you personally stopping in to introduce yourself to the service manager and also ask if there are any special techs he recommends for working on your car. And it is also a good idea to say hi every time you bring your car in for service. The value of a friendly relationship should never be underestimated. --Bob.

2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
                              -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
                              1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
                              1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
                              1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
                              ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
                              Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
                              NCM Lifetime Member
                              Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
                              "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X