X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with factory wheels.

Hi all,

I'm planning to get some aftermarket wheels and am wondering what others are doing with their factory wheels after they come off. Vendors and my dealership say there is virtually zero market for these and, even if I did sell them, I'd end up paying almost as much shipping them as I got out of them. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks.

I'd post them on Craig's List for $500 for local pick up. I bet they sell quick especially if they can be used on an earlier corvette.

Other option is use them as hose reels around the house or shop.

Comment

I Plan on keeping mine for all season tires and running summer only on a new set. You would think someone with an older chevy would want them; try an add on craigslist...or if you have a local hot rod shop post them there.
      '21 2LT Coupe, Torch Red over Black w/ microfiber, Z51, GT2 seats, FE4 mag ride, J6N edge red calipers, E60 front lift, Q8Q Carbon Flash wheels

Status 1100 2/17/21
      Status 3000 3/24/21

Comment

Check out our for sale section. Some members have some their wheels. Of course as you know best if a local sale.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Psmithzr1 View Post
          I'd post them on Craig's List for $500 for local pick up. I bet they sell quick especially if they can be used on an earlier corvette.

Other option is use them as hose reels around the house or shop.
          C8 wheels have a different bolt circle and larger studs.
          3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Originally posted by L79 View Post
            Vendors and my dealership say there is virtually zero market for these and, even if I did sell them, I'd end up paying almost as much shipping them as I got out of them.
            Whoever you talked to doesn't know what they are talking about and it I wouldn't ask them for advice again.
            Post the wheels for sale on here or on the other forum and they will sell. Going rate is $500-$700. People pay to ship them as well. Cheapest way is greyhound or Alaska Air Freight.

Comment

Maybe not apples to apples, but I also own a Jeep Wrangler. Like many Wrangler owners do, we buy aftermarket rims. For Jeep rims, there is absolutely no 2nd market for the stock rims, unless maybe, only maybe, if they come with tires. A local custom jeep shop says he does not even waste his time trying to sell them. He scraps them every time anyone buys new rims. I ended up simply scrapping them at a local metal yard for around $12/rim if I remember right.

The stock rims have grown on me since getting the car, but I still plan on getting a set of Vossen rims soon.
              Last edited by clear33765; 02-16-2021, 03:47 PM.
              (Kicked 2020 Longbeach Red Order)
              2021 Corvette 2LT Red Mist w/Transparent Roof
              Performance Exhaust and Front Lift Adjustable Height
              GT2 Bucket Seats w/Natural Napa Leather
              Yellow Brake Calipers, Edge Red Engine Cover
              Vossen HF-3 Graphite Polished Wheels

Aftermarket plans: High Wing Spoiler, Engine bay LED lights
              , Illuminated Sill Plates

Comment

Hi all,

I'm planning to get some aftermarket wheels and am wondering what others are doing with their factory wheels after they come off. Vendors and my dealership say there is virtually zero market for these and, even if I did sell them, I'd end up paying almost as much shipping them as I got out of them. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks.
                Demand is very LOW in my area. I see them rotting on Facebook week after week. I have an idea for you. I'm going to powder coat my old set bronze or black when I want a different look, slap them on. My aftermarkets will be a polished aluminum (Bright). Of course, some people put their winter tires on them.

But you can have them chromed or powder coated:-) Do something fun with them???? Powder coating should be around 100 bucks a wheel.

2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)
                STEK DYNOshield PPF, Llumar CTX 80% windshield 35% windows.
                NCM Delivered Jan 21 10am.

Comment

I bought a set and put a set of AS tires on them. I'll use the summer tires in the summer on my other OEM wheels.

Comment

Save them for when you sell the car. Take off the aftermarket wheels, and sell separately. You will recoup more of your money that way (know from experience).

Comment

Hi all,

Hey L79, I see your location says Vancouver, WA. R & K C8 is a bit north of Seattle I think and was interested in purchasing some stock C8 wheels for his auto cross sessions. If you're interested in selling, you should try reaching out to him and perhaps you guys can meet somewhere which would take the shipping hassle out of it as well. -Mike

Comment

L79
                        I am interested in these wheels.
                        But not sure how you would get them to me in British Columbia, at the border bit north of you.
                        I can't cross the border, so you would have to figure out how to get them to me just on the North side of the border.
                        Last edited by carbuff; 02-16-2021, 08:41 PM.
                        2020 Yellow LT2 convertible
                        2015 Z51 LT2 Yellow coupe - for sale now!
                        2006 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
                        2002 Z51 Yellow coupe - sold
                        1993 Yellow coupe - sold
                        1979 Red coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by clear33765 View Post
                          Maybe not apples to apples, but I also own a Jeep Wrangler. Like many Wrangler owners do, we buy aftermarket rims. For Jeep rims, there is absolutely no 2nd market for the stock rims, unless maybe, only maybe, if they come with tires. A local custom jeep shop says he does not even waste his time trying to sell them. He scraps them every time anyone buys new rims. I ended up simply scrapping them at a local metal yard for around $12/rim if I remember right.
                          I’ve bought OEM Jeep rims from eBay before. When the stock rims on my 02 TJ got rock rashed and gnarly, I bought a set of takeoffs from a new Rubicon for 4 or 5 hundred bucks shipped. Just the rims, no tires.

I guess the moral of the story is, you never know what could happen if you don’t at least try.

GMO Rapid Blue, EFY Body-Color Accents, Z51 Performance Package, FE4 Magnetic Selective Ride Suspension, 1LT Trim, HTA Jet Black Interior, 3A9 Tension Blue Seat Belt, Q8S Sterling Silver Trident Wheels, J6F Bright Red Calipers

Comment

In Canada with its colder climate, the OEM rims are more in demand and that will increase as more 2021 C8's make their way here: C8 owners with the Z51 package and summer tires, want them for all-season and/or (heaven forbid) winter grips...

So I suspect it depends on what part of the country you're in and whether people need different tires on their C8's and don't want to buy a second set of expensive after-market rims. Buying a set of "slightly used" (low mileage) but otherwise perfect rims, is a large cost savings over buying new OEM rims which you know will work well with the car. So I wouldn't write them off as having no value and the idea of swapping them out with the more expensive after-market rims when selling the car, is a good idea if the buyer won't pay a reasonable price for the after-markets.

Comment

I sold mine to a friend in our Corvette Club, for $500, who also has a C8, and wanted a set of wheels for track days. Most guys who are obsessive "track enthusiasts." are always in the market for a second set of wheels.
                              OWN:

2020 Stingray Coupe, Torch Red, Adrenaline Red interior, 3LT, Z51, Mag Ride, Racing Stripe Pkg, Red Calipers, Red Engine Cover
                              2003 Corvette 50th Anniversary Pace Car
                              2016 Corvette Stingray Coupe, CRY, 3LT, Z51, Mag Ride

Lifetime Member, NCM

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X