Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Keith Cornett & Steve Garrett Present The Latest C8 News

We are thrilled to say that this podcast begins year #2 for CORVETTE TODAY!  Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com teams up with your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, to keep you on top of what's going on in the world of Corvette.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...il-2021-ev2565
Here are some of the topics covered in this podcast:
1.  April 2021 Constraints and Production Update – 11000 orders still to produce
3.  Zeus Bronze and Sebring Orange are now no longer available for order
3.  Corvette is the fastest selling new car for the 3rd month in a row!
4.  Corvette dominates Q1 sales with 51% marketshare
5.  Corvette has highest model loyalty in Luxury Sports Car segment
6. Sportscar 365 says GM Racing will make a decision on LMDH & GTD Pro in 45 days
7.  Digital Paint samples for three new 2022 colors revealed
8.  Tonowanda #1 Team Badges available for sale at Chevy Parts Counter
9.  Corvettes at Carlisle to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ’96 Grand Sport
10.  Supercar Blondie is a fan of the C8 Corvette!
See more
See less

Charging System Concern? Battery Concern? Or normal? :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont own a trickle charger. Never used one. Never had a issue. Sometimes I leave the car for a week or so in the garage..rarely but it does happen from time to time.

the car runs diagnostics etc when off so that probably leads to some voltage or charge inconsistencies.

That would be my best guess.

try not to get **** about the car.

it wasnt designed to put on a trickle charges so often, its not necessary in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      it wasnt designed to put on a trickle charges so often, its not necessary in my opinion.
      It might not be necessary but it does no harm. The car doesn’t have to be “designed” to have a battery maintainer plugged in. If you mean it was designed to not require a trickle charge so often, I would agree. But again, it does no harm to use a battery maintainer often, and in my experience, it actually prolongs the life of the battery over time.

Comment

I keep every vehicle I own on a trickle charger, including my zero turn mower, UTVs, and ATVs. I attach the “permanent” bolt on wiring to each battery and route it to where it is easily accessible and exposed for a couple inches out of the hood. Then it’s just a simple plug/unplug to the power module. The socket in the frunk serves this purpose also. It may be “overkill” but it gives me a peace of mind knowing my batteries aren’t being subjected to parasitic discharge. And it only adds a few seconds of extra “work”
        Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210107_111045.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	242420 I didn't feel like exercising the frunk every time I wanted to plug in. Works for me.
          Interesting. So that is a 3rd party wire that you have routed from the frunk into the radiator grill area somehow? How Is the wire hidden when it is not being used?
          1965 Convertible [used] - 327/365 - 4spd - Rally Red/Black - white top
          1972 Coupe [used] - 350/255 - 4spd - Elkhart Green/Saddle
          1981 Coupe [new] - 350/190 - 4spd - Charcoal/SilverGray
          1985 Coupe [new] - 350/230 - 4spd - LightBlue/Blue
          2021 C8 HTC - Status 3000 with Mike Furman, 2LT, Arctic White/Natural, Black roof/nacelles, Carbon Flash Wheels and Mirrors, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Performance Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Interior trim, Sueded Steering Wheel, GT2 seats

Comment

Originally posted by ByteBiz View Post

Interesting. So that is a 3rd party wire that you have routed from the frunk into the radiator grill area somehow? How Is the wire hidden when it is not being used?
            The wire is the Ctek standard extension cable. It is wired direct to the battery and run under the plastic frunk covers to the front grill area. I have the Ctek connector wrapped with Velcro and inside the grill area is a stick on piece of Velcro. Just unplug and fold the wire back and stick it to the Velcro.

Name:	20210107_111012.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	242621 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210107_110106_001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	242622

Comment

The wire is the Ctek standard extension cable. It is wired direct to the battery and run under the plastic frunk covers to the front grill area. I have the Ctek connector wrapped with Velcro and inside the grill area is a stick on piece of Velcro. Just unplug and fold the wire back and stick it to the Velcro.

Name:	20210107_111012.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	242621 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210107_110106_001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	242622
              Cool - do you have a part number for that cable? And how does the cable connect to the battery? I assume the route down to the grill area is straightforward? (I don't have my car yet so I can't look myself)
              2021 C8 HTC - Status 3000 with Mike Furman, 2LT, Arctic White/Natural, Black roof/nacelles, Carbon Flash Wheels and Mirrors, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Performance Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Interior trim, Sueded Steering Wheel, GT2 seats

Comment

Originally posted by ByteBiz View Post

Cool - do you have a part number for that cable? And how does the cable connect to the battery? I assume the route down to the grill area is straightforward? (I don't have my car yet so I can't look myself)
                Don't have the number but go to the Ctek website and they call it a "comfort " cable of extension. Has 2 ring lugs on one end with a fuse holder and the standard Ctek connector on the other. Once yo remove the plastic panels to get to the battery the routing path is pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by KOPBET View Post
                  I keep every vehicle I own on a trickle charger, including my zero turn mower, UTVs, and ATVs. I attach the “permanent” bolt on wiring to each battery and route it to where it is easily accessible and exposed for a couple inches out of the hood. Then it’s just a simple plug/unplug to the power module. The socket in the frunk serves this purpose also. It may be “overkill” but it gives me a peace of mind knowing my batteries aren’t being subjected to parasitic discharge. And it only adds a few seconds of extra “work”
                  I do exactly the same thing! I have six Battery Tender JR models all on different pieces of equipment in my out building. And a CTEK for each vehicle in the attached garage. It’s a system that has worked very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

It might not be necessary but it does no harm. The car doesn’t have to be “designed” to have a battery maintainer plugged in. If you mean it was designed to not require a trickle charge so often, I would agree. But again, it does no harm to use a battery maintainer often, and in my experience, it actually prolongs the life of the battery over time.
                    Im glad so many corvette owners get joy from trickle charging their cars...

Comment

I dont own a trickle charger. Never used one. Never had a issue. Sometimes I leave the car for a week or so in the garage..rarely but it does happen from time to time.

the car runs diagnostics etc when off so that probably leads to some voltage or charge inconsistencies.

That would be my best guess.

try not to get **** about the car.

I never thought of using a battery maintainer until I purchased my 2012 Jaguar XKR. All of the previous cars I had were more low tech so batteries would last for 8-10 years. After getting the Jag and being on a few Jag forms I started to understand some of the quirks with a multi processor vehicle. The 1st lesson was locking the car in the garage anytime you parked. The Jag would draw around 6 amps for 15 to 20 minutes unless you lock it . Doing so would shut down the processors in less then 5 minutes. Also with the charging system using a battery monitor module the rate of charge varied during driving (similar to C8) so the amount of charge on short trips varied. I would also unlike the C8 lay the car up for 3 months in the winter so the Ctek was a necessary tool. Now at present I don't know what the normal shut down draw is with the C8 so I am just used to doing what I did with the Jag. I assume with normal usage I won't be using the Ctek much but will wait to see if it is needed. As for the Jag it was common to replace the battery every 5 years. So we'll see how the C8 does. Also when I got the car I drove it 250 mile home and put it on the charger to make sure it was fully charged. Does anyone know what is the normal current draw after shutdown and for how long ? Also does locking it cut down on draw time ? So if it wasn't designed to put on a trickle charger then why do they offer and recommend one.

Comment

Don't have the number but go to the Ctek website and they call it a "comfort " cable of extension. Has 2 ring lugs on one end with a fuse holder and the standard Ctek connector on the other. Once yo remove the plastic panels to get to the battery the routing path is pretty simple.
                        jagtoes Thanks 😊

Comment

Im glad so many corvette owners get joy from trickle charging their cars...
                          I only trickle charge using the go pedal. It's a different kind of thrill.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post

I only trickle charge using the go pedal. It's a different kind of thrill.
                            That's OK but just as you most likely know the primary function of the charging system is to provide power to the various functions of the car . The secondary function is to charge the battery . Now when you shut it down after the drive the draw to keep the headlight/lighting on and the engine fan running comes from the battery. For us HTC folks when you exercise the top without the engine running although cool it's 6 motors worth of fun/power. Hey what the hell just enjoy it.

Comment

Corvette engineers have designed the corvette to run diagnostics etc when parked and over a period of 2 or 3 or 4 weeks its definitely a smart move to trickle charge..

on daily basis upon a return trip for a coupl,e of days it might and I say might be overkill...

then it borders in yet another step to work through no matter how easy...to just driving the car...

please accept my apology as I was just speaking for my self...lol

my one word of advice to the gentleman concerned about discvering voltage or charge drops ? As a friend I say...dont look so close..

like I said..as I mentioned..lits a comment as a friend...

this car is awesome...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X