Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Keith Cornett & Steve Garrett Present The Latest C8 News

We are thrilled to say that this podcast begins year #2 for CORVETTE TODAY!  Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com teams up with your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, to keep you on top of what's going on in the world of Corvette.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...il-2021-ev2565
Here are some of the topics covered in this podcast:
1.  April 2021 Constraints and Production Update – 11000 orders still to produce
3.  Zeus Bronze and Sebring Orange are now no longer available for order
3.  Corvette is the fastest selling new car for the 3rd month in a row!
4.  Corvette dominates Q1 sales with 51% marketshare
5.  Corvette has highest model loyalty in Luxury Sports Car segment
6. Sportscar 365 says GM Racing will make a decision on LMDH & GTD Pro in 45 days
7.  Digital Paint samples for three new 2022 colors revealed
8.  Tonowanda #1 Team Badges available for sale at Chevy Parts Counter
9.  Corvettes at Carlisle to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ’96 Grand Sport
10.  Supercar Blondie is a fan of the C8 Corvette!
See more
See less

Charging System Concern? Battery Concern? Or normal? :-)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Charging System Concern? Battery Concern? Or normal? :-)

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to keep our C8 plugged in when not in use. I bought the Corvette charger for this.
    So after a 5 -6 hour jaunt with lunch, shopping and driving around I'll plug it in when we get home.

    What would you expect to see on the charger? There are 4 levels of charge and lights show current charge status.

    Here's what I've seen twice. This is what I see after unplugging before leaving (showing full charge), driving for an afternoon, coming home and plugging it back in the same day. I waited 15-30 minutes before taking the picture.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210208_173902.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	540.8 KB
ID:	240374

    Should I be concerned?

    I was modifying the main display and remember seeing 12.5 listed when I scrolled past "Battery Status" while driving. Don't know if this, 12.5, is good or not.

    Thanks!
    Mark
    2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)
    STEK DYNOshield PPF, Llumar CTX 80% windshield 35% windows.
    NCM Delivered Jan 21 10am.

  • #2
    I leave mine on the GM charger. Unplugged it and when it started up it was 15.1. Five minutes later down to 14.4, then down to 14.0 about five minutes after that. But never noticed it after that. Sorry.

    What are others of you experiencing?
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

    Comment


    • #3
      You have nothing to be concerned about. Mine operates the same way. When first plugged in, the charger will assess the battery level by progressing through the various charge stages. It will gradually return to full charge. Its circuitry uses pulse and float charging. The float charging will occur during the "full" indication where it applies current only if the voltage drops. I had the doors and hood open on my car once for some cleaning and adding something. The charger was plugged in the entire time I was working and when I had finished, I found the charger had dropped to the level yours is showing in your illustration. Shortly it returned to full condition. It's working as intended.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
        You have nothing to be concerned about. Mine operates the same way. When first plugged in, the charger will assess the battery level by progressing through the various charge stages. It will gradually return to full charge. Its circuitry uses pulse and float charging. The float charging will occur during the "full" indication where it applies current only if the voltage drops. I had the doors and hood open on my car once for some cleaning and adding something. The charger was plugged in the entire time I was working and when I had finished, I found the charger had dropped to the level yours is showing in your illustration. Shortly it returned to full condition. It's working as intended.
        I have not measured how much time it takes to get back up to FULL. But... I was hoping it was something like this. So I would anticipate if I unplug the charger for 10 minutes and plug it back in, it should have the same behavior. I try it:-)

        Thanks for sharing!
        Mark
        2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)
        STEK DYNOshield PPF, Llumar CTX 80% windshield 35% windows.
        NCM Delivered Jan 21 10am.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MarkOnEarth View Post

          I have not measured how much time it takes to get back up to FULL. But... I was hoping it was something like this. So I would anticipate if I unplug the charger for 10 minutes and plug it back in, it should have the same behavior. I try it:-)

          Thanks for sharing!
          Mark
          Yes that has been my experience with it. It seems to automatically go through the process of measuring voltage and adding whats needed when needed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
            You have nothing to be concerned about. Mine operates the same way. When first plugged in, the charger will assess the battery level by progressing through the various charge stages. It will gradually return to full charge. Its circuitry uses pulse and float charging. The float charging will occur during the "full" indication where it applies current only if the voltage drops. I had the doors and hood open on my car once for some cleaning and adding something. The charger was plugged in the entire time I was working and when I had finished, I found the charger had dropped to the level yours is showing in your illustration. Shortly it returned to full condition. It's working as intended.
            That’s how mine works too. I’m pretty sure that’s just how they display the charging program.

            I also have the CTEK MXS 5.0 that I use on my GMC Sierra. It works in a similar manner but the display is different. It shows each “step” (8 total) of the process. After driving 300 miles yesterday I plugged the MXS 5.0 into the Sierra, it still started with step 1 and takes awhile to process through all the steps to a green “fully charged” status. Since the C8 version doesn’t have all of the “step” lights, I think it just defaults to the 1/3 full icon (as shown in your picture) while it’s running it’s “program”.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

              That’s how mine works too. I’m pretty sure that’s just how they display the charging program.

              I also have the CTEK MXS 5.0 that I use on my GMC Sierra. It works in a similar manner but the display is different. It shows each “step” (8 total) of the process. After driving 300 miles yesterday I plugged the MXS 5.0 into the Sierra, it still started with step 1 and takes awhile to process through all the steps to a green “fully charged” status. Since the C8 version doesn’t have all of the “step” lights, I think it just defaults to the 1/3 full icon (as shown in your picture) while it’s running it’s “program”.
              Thanks for your observation:-)
              2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)
              STEK DYNOshield PPF, Llumar CTX 80% windshield 35% windows.
              NCM Delivered Jan 21 10am.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am somewhat confused by some comments here. Why do you need to attach a CTEK battery tender after driving 300 miles in one day? Such a drive should result in a fully charged battery. The CTEK is needed when the car is infrequently driven, on very short drives, or long term storage.

                Am I missing something?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                  I am somewhat confused by some comments here. Why do you need to attach a CTEK battery tender after driving 300 miles in one day? Such a drive should result in a fully charged battery. The CTEK is needed when the car is infrequently driven, on very short drives, or long term storage.

                  Am I missing something?
                  I most likely won’t be driving it again for a couple of weeks, so I put it on the maintainer. Only takes 2 minutes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Even after a long drive, when you first plug in the tender, it takes about 2 hours to reach an indicated full state of charge. It's been that way with every C-Tek charger I have used on any modern, C5 to C8. I just plug it in every time I pull it into the garage. It's so simple, why let the battery discharge. Unless I'm driving it the next day, I plug it in.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                      I am somewhat confused by some comments here. Why do you need to attach a CTEK battery tender after driving 300 miles in one day? Such a drive should result in a fully charged battery. The CTEK is needed when the car is infrequently driven, on very short drives, or long term storage.

                      Am I missing something?
                      I plug it in because I really don't know when I'll be able to drive it next. So I'm trying to get used to keeping it plugged in this time of year. Same with the motorcycle. I won't fool with it in a month or so HOPEFULLY.
                      2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)
                      STEK DYNOshield PPF, Llumar CTX 80% windshield 35% windows.
                      NCM Delivered Jan 21 10am.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How do you guys run the power cord for the battery tender? Do you fully latch the frunk or just to the first catch?
                        1965 Convertible [used] - 327/365 - 4spd - Rally Red/Black - white top
                        1972 Coupe [used] - 350/255 - 4spd - Elkhart Green/Saddle
                        1981 Coupe [new] - 350/190 - 4spd - Charcoal/SilverGray
                        1985 Coupe [new] - 350/230 - 4spd - LightBlue/Blue
                        2021 C8 HTC - Status 3000 with Mike Furman, 2LT, Arctic White/Natural, Black roof/nacelles, Carbon Flash Wheels and Mirrors, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Performance Exhaust, Carbon Fiber Interior trim, Sueded Steering Wheel, GT2 seats

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ByteBiz View Post
                          How do you guys run the power cord for the battery tender? Do you fully latch the frunk or just to the first catch?
                          First catch and have the cord resting on top of a microfiber cloth to protect the paint.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have just been setting the hood down, not even latching it at all. I too lay a microfiber towel on the paint where the cord lays, just in case.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ByteBiz View Post
                              How do you guys run the power cord for the battery tender? Do you fully latch the frunk or just to the first catch?
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20210107_111045.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	242420 I didn't feel like exercising the frunk every time I wanted to plug in. Works for me.

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X