Another Crashed C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Crashed C8

This is getting so sad, a parade of crashed C8’s with more than a few appearing to be driver stupidity. I would have called it driver error, but regarding this particular accident we do not know anything about it. It could have been 100% caused by a next-lane-over, gawking, swerving other driver — with the C8 driver being 100% faultless.

But there are way too many C8’s being wrecked so early, so IMO it is time to be candid about the pattern of too many unforced, massive C8 driver dumbnesses after another.

We are getting so many new to Corvettes. More than a few have acknowledged that either this is their first sports car, that they previously have not been a student of handling high horsepower, street-licensable, and close to race cars as the C8 is. I wish people would be smart and realize that the C8 Corvette, while super easy to drive if you are experienced, a breeze to handle if one uses common sense, is easy to wreck if you are not smart, do not respect the car, and/or too many think that as they have watched some sports car races on TV, that they a great and capable C8 driver.

My first Corvette has 345 HP; it was close to a 5.0 second 0 to 60 car. Even so, I was respectful of the car in how I taught myself to drive it (in spite of my having about 1,000,000 miles, the last 900,000 being accident being free. I was moderately gentle on the accelerator for a few months, then progressively in safe places learned how to fractionally add throttle and also how to brake progressively and assertively, etc.

But in hindsight I was not smart; I did not go to eve an few hours of a high performance driving school even though I had some actual earlier track experience (real experience not parade laps or equivalent).

But now we see a parade of C8’s being wrecked. I wish we could require all new owners who jump up more than 100 HP from their last sports car (or from their SUV or sedan or pick up) to take a performance test, and if they fail to demonstrate both skill and common sense, to require them to first go to driving school before that last 100 C8 HP were “unlocked.”

Sorry about my rant; let’s hope this is the last wrecked C8 we see for a very long time.

With that intro, here’s another C8 wrecked at least to some degree. Thanks to our friends at CorvetteBlogger for sharing this article.

Originally posted by CorvetteBloggeer
    C8 Corvette Gets Ditched in Panama City

By
    Keith Cornett : Feb 11, 202
    Photo Credit: Jon Miller / Facebook

There is nothing sadder than spotting a crashed Corvette on the side of the road. You don’t have to be Captain Obvious to determine that something went seriously wrong for this owner, and as Jon mentioned in his Facebook post, we do hope the occupants were okay afterward.

We hope the damage isn’t too severe for the owner because the world doesn’t need another crashed Corvette at Copart, and the owner certainly doesn’t need another 12-month wait for a replacement.
    https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...erm=2021-02-11

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

When my Wife got her 5 Series BMW, she got a complementary Track and Training Pass for The Autobahn CC in Joliet IL. We got to use it two weeks after she got the car. In retrospect, I believe it was day well spent. Because not only got learn the Car’s capabilities, we also learned our own limitations.

Not saying this will prevent user errors in Cars, but it sure teaches you a lot about yourself and yourself in the Car and how to defensive drive.
    [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
    [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

As you noted Plentyfast, track training makes one a better, and safer street driver. I hear that over and over from those who have completed the Spring Mountain Corvette Owners school
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

We know of three crashed C7 Z06’s as they were driven home from the dealership and of two Z06 driver deaths right away, one driver even leaving the dealership. The second death within a month. Let’s hope that the amount and consequences of Z06 crashes is not worse than now. More power for the inexperienced could be mayhem.

Comment

I can't help but think some of this is due to America's attitude that driving is a "right," and as long as you can parallel park, stop at a stop sign, and pass a written test you're qualified to drive anything from an 80 HP 1975 Datsun to a 755 HP ZR-1. (Heck, in a lot of states you don't even have to parallel park anymore.) In most European countries you have to actually take serious driver training classes and pass a difficult driving test. Some countries have graduated licenses, so that your initial one limits you to lower powered vehicles until you get more experience and pass another test. But here in the US a 16 year old kid with 20 hours of behind the wheel can drive off in a 500 HP Corvette or a 700 HP Mustang if his daddy has the money for it.
          Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I know all too well what an inexperienced driver with a high powered sports car can do. 10 years ago my oldest daughter was a passenger in a cobra kit car with about 400 hp. she was out on a first date with the driver.He tried to show off and lost control, the car flipped and my daughter was killed instantly. all because some **** was driving a car he couldn't handle.So yes these cars are fast and fun, but you must respect them.Drive safe everyone. I hate to be a downer but these stories bring up some awful memories.

Comment

That's too bad for the owner what ever the reason. Another wasted allotment.
              Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty2ss View Post
                I know all too well what an inexperienced driver with a high powered sports car can do. 10 years ago my oldest daughter was a passenger in a cobra kit car with about 400 hp. she was out on a first date with the driver.He tried to show off and lost control, the car flipped and my daughter was killed instantly. all because some **** was driving a car he couldn't handle.So yes these cars are fast and fun, but you must respect them.Drive safe everyone. I hate to be a downer but these stories bring up some awful memories.
                No one should have to experience that, especially when its avoidable, sorry for your loss.
                [2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
                [Current 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Deposit June 18 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty2ss View Post
                  Condolences for your loss. I can’t imagine what it’s like and expect 10 years later it’s not as sharp but still always there. A sobering story for everyone that underscores the point of this thread.

Comment

Nasty2ss My sincerest condolences on the sudden loss of your daughter. It’s a tough lesson for all of us drivers to learn from, although I wish it weren’t so. Yes, these cars are fun, fast and dangerous but they can kill others & do, including ourselves. I hope I’m humble enough to know my limitations, smart enough to drive within those parameters and that I remain “willing” to learn all the above.
                    07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

Nasty2ss sorry for your loss, that's terrible. I can't even imagine such a loss, especially one so senseless and avoidable.

I have some training, have some real track time under my belt, but still understand that even professional drivers can't do those things on a public street. There are too many variables that you can't plan for no matter your skill level.

I fully intend to get out to Spring Mountain at my earliest opportunity and learn all I can. In fact, I intend to go back for their advanced course when the budget allows and do it again. Even then, even after more track days and truly learning how to handle a mid-engine supercar I will pick my time and place to do things on the interstate you really shouldn't.

Comment

Nasty2ss, I too am so sorry for what you experienced and am still experiencing!

The cost to undertake the ten week German minimum length driver education program before you take a rigorous drive test was, years ago, $2,200. Fine for driving and eating is over $2,000, as it is for many other offenses. We do not take driving skill seriously enough in this country.

I have long had a proposal to improve that and to increase traffic flow without building more lanes. Create on highways a driving skill competency privileged third lane. One has to be extensively trained, weeks and weeks, to take the test to drive in that lane. If you pass you can get a special license plate showing your skill level — with that lane having a higher speed limit. But violate that speed limit and you are eliminated from re-training and re-testing for that lane for two years.

Comment

I agree it should be like a "type rating" for cars above a certain performance level. Like CDL a SDL sporting drivers license. At the very least do what motorcycles do. When you can go 0-60 in less that 3 seconds things can get out of control extremely quickly. It wouldn't prevent everything but if it reduced it at all it's worth it.

Comment

I echo MidEngine;’s concern that things will get worse with the Z06+. I know someone who went from a 220 HP sedan (his most powerful vehicle at that time) directly to a C7 Z06 then said it was not comfortable for him to drive because it was too powerful. I had suggested to him before he bought it via a PM that he instead go to a regular C7, not get a Z06, but he preferred the Z’s wide bodied looks.

Give him credit, he drove the Z06 slowly and never once got into trouble.

Comment

It is my belief that driving high performance cars on the street requires a certain degree of skill that comes from experience and maturity. I would love to see California restrict teen drivers to vehicles under 200HP until the age of 21. In my neighborhood, I routinely see wrecked Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo's. Just six blocks from my home, a McLaren was absolutely decimated, and every night after 10pm, the streets here become a racetrack for these spoiled kids. Right now as I type, I can hear yet another street race and flat-plane V8's screaming away doing burnouts.

The only way anyone should be able to drive 400HP+ on the streets is showing proof of completing some form of training in high performance cars. They require such training for firearms and other dangerous pastimes, cars should be no different.

In the time it took to type this, no fewer than 6 mega-horsepower cars have blasted through my subdivision...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X