Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Keith Cornett & Steve Garrett Present The Latest C8 News

We are thrilled to say that this podcast begins year #2 for CORVETTE TODAY!  Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com teams up with your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, to keep you on top of what's going on in the world of Corvette.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...il-2021-ev2565
Here are some of the topics covered in this podcast:
1.  April 2021 Constraints and Production Update – 11000 orders still to produce
3.  Zeus Bronze and Sebring Orange are now no longer available for order
3.  Corvette is the fastest selling new car for the 3rd month in a row!
4.  Corvette dominates Q1 sales with 51% marketshare
5.  Corvette has highest model loyalty in Luxury Sports Car segment
6. Sportscar 365 says GM Racing will make a decision on LMDH & GTD Pro in 45 days
7.  Digital Paint samples for three new 2022 colors revealed
8.  Tonowanda #1 Team Badges available for sale at Chevy Parts Counter
9.  Corvettes at Carlisle to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the ’96 Grand Sport
10.  Supercar Blondie is a fan of the C8 Corvette!
See more
See less

Multiple Simultaneous Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
    I'm surprised as I never heard of a squirrel eating wires . It usually is mice that do the damage. Also was this car parked outside or in a garage. If inside then I surmise you are getting someone to find and fix the entry point. If it happened once , well it will happen again. Also where was the area in the car where this happened.
    Apparently it happens all the time, particularly with newer and higher end cars due to some coating on the wires that squirrels love. My step brother is a BMW mechanic and said that he sees it all the time. This happened in the garage. There was a squirrel trapped in there for a few hours, which we didn't know until after. The damage is in the front of the car. I'm not sure how the thing got into it.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
      I'm surprised as I never heard of a squirrel eating wires . It usually is mice that do the damage. Also was this car parked outside or in a garage. If inside then I surmise you are getting someone to find and fix the entry point. If it happened once , well it will happen again. Also where was the area in the car where this happened.
      I had squirrels eat through wiring in my attic - killed outdoor / parking pad lights. The next year was a mother raccoon deciding to eat through my roof and birth 3 babies in my attic.
      Rick, Charlotte, NC
      Current: 2019 GS, Shadow Grey Metalic, Modified

Next: 2021 Arctic White HTC, Z51, two tone red 3LT, mag ride, front end lift, carbon flash roof and nacelles, 5VM splitter and side skirts painted carbon flash, Vossen HF-3 black wheels, PPF and ceramic, lowering kit, window tint. Status 3000 with Feb allocation

Comment

Originally posted by shawnguess View Post

Apparently it happens all the time, particularly with newer and higher end cars due to some coating on the wires that squirrels love. My step brother is a BMW mechanic and said that he sees it all the time. This happened in the garage. There was a squirrel trapped in there for a few hours, which we didn't know until after. The damage is in the front of the car. I'm not sure how the thing got into it.
        At Spring Mountain C8 School they give a number of tech talks, one of which was walking around the car taking off plastic covers and things.

When asked about the tin foil they had wrapped around the wires leading to the mag ride shocks he informed us that was to prevent animals from chewing through the wires.

I don't remember what desert rodent exactly but apparently the coating GM puts on them is irresistible and they had "quite a few" cars damaged before solving the problem.

I don't know what flavor it is but if we have any Tide-Pod eating millennials on the board perhaps they can go sample one and report back?😀

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

At Spring Mountain C8 School they give a number of tech talks, one of which was walking around the car taking off plastic covers and things.

When asked about the tin foil they had wrapped around the wires leading to the mag ride shocks he informed us that was to prevent animals from chewing through the wires.

I don't remember what desert rodent exactly but apparently the coating GM puts on them is irresistible and they had "quite a few" cars damaged before solving the problem.

I don't know what flavor it is but if we have any Tide-Pod eating millennials on the board perhaps they can go sample one and report back?😀
          Squirrels love softer metals for some reason. Your leaded vents and pipe flashing that poke out the top of your roof are very attractive to the little varmints. I had to replace quite a few of them last year. You could see the teeth marks on it, I don't know how all the squirrels in the neighborhood didn't die from lead poisoning!

The little rats out in the desert are known as kangaroo rats, pretty small little critters and they get into EVERYTHING.

My first rental outside the barracks was in Yuma, Az, not far at all from the track where the Z06 mule was filmed undergoing testing on the Yuma Proving Grounds actually. Those little critters are EVERYWHERE. My washer and dryer hookups were actually outside on a covered patio, I can't tell you how many dryer vent hoses I replaced from them and they ate wiring inside the dryer four or five different times in the three years I lived there.

Comment

Hey Guys, My C8 has has no electrical issues whatsoever but I have a 2019 Ram (First year of the new Ram Body Style) and I had a very similar issue with it. I had my lights not coming on automatically ( but would work with the manual switch), my center screen sometimes not letting me change settings, cruise control would sometimes not work , etc. Truck would crank fine since I drove it every day. Did a computer reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and the problem was cured. In a few days it reappeared. Charged the battery and it went away for about 2 weeks then reappeared. Replaced the battery and it cured the problem. This was 9 months ago. Needless to say the PC heart of our vehicles creates a new diagnostic technique that is very dependent on voltage and the battery being in good condition. Hope that is all it is.

Comment

More Info.
              ( Wonder what " Big Daddy" ED ROTH would think? )

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...think-is-tasty
              https://youtu.be/H3aOa0Pe8kA
              https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com/
              Last edited by Buddy; 02-13-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, all have incisors that are constantly growing, so they need to gnaw on things to keep them trimmed. A squirrel’s teeth would grow 10” in a year if not trimmed.

That’s why you find teeth marks on things not even food. Wires by their shape and size are like the perfect thing for a rodent to get its mouth on and grind away at. Wiring coatings used to petroleum based, and they used to get chewed on then, but now they are soy based and “taste better” than the older wiring. It’s not so much that that they are attracted to it by itself, but they know it tastes better than the alternatives.
                GMO Rapid Blue, EFY Body-Color Accents, Z51 Performance Package, FE4 Magnetic Selective Ride Suspension, 1LT Trim, HTA Jet Black Interior, 3A9 Tension Blue Seat Belt, Q8S Sterling Silver Trident Wheels, J6F Bright Red Calipers

Comment

Honda Rodent
                  https://ebay.us/zTC6PR

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                    That's awesome. Never knew that existed. 🚫🐀🐭
                    Thanks for the interesting titbit of the day! 👍

Comment

Well, $1300 later, the problems are fixed. 14 wires across 3 harnesses in the front end.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnguess View Post
                        Well, $1300 later, the problems are fixed. 14 wires across 3 harnesses in the front end.
                        WOW! That's incredible.

Comment

Ouch, now what's your preventive plan?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                            Ouch, now what's your preventive plan?
                            Keep the garage closed and murder as many squirrels as possible.

Comment

I have a car and a couple of motorcycles that I keep in my house in Georgia that I don't get up to very often. I bought a couple of the car bubbles that completely encapsulate the vehicles and so far no mice have decicded to try to get inside. before that I had them making nests inside the car and bikes.

Comment

Ugly amount. Shawn, we are so sorry about your $1,400 bill.

Shawn, while you are busy murdering your squirrels by gassing them in your garage, please have your own breathing apparatus on; we do not wish to read a post about your demise.
                                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X