Factors Suggesting The E-Ray Could Be The 2022 Introduced C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factors Suggesting The E-Ray Could Be The 2022 Introduced C8

Will the E-Ray be the 2022 solely introduced C8? We do not know, not having yet a single birdie whispering to that effect. Yet what might issues reinforce that that is possible or perhaps maybe even likely?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F2EBFA9-B725-4A66-A63D-2615F8DEAD31.jpeg
Views:	3524
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	238268Picture thanks and credit to MotorTrend.

The “maybe” of the E-Ray leading before the Z06 was first shared here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-the-z06-model

What are the factors that lean toward the E-Ray preceding the Z06?

* GM wants to bring out as many electric and even partial hybrid electrics as soon as possible. If the Corvette comes out as a partial hybrid, some non-GM customers and auto industry bystanders would think, “hell if GM’s sports car is moving that way, even as one Corvette model, **** GM is serious about their move to electrics.”

* In the previous two generations of new Corvettes, there was a new model in year two. Not so in the C8. How can the C8, the revolutionary new mid engine Corvette, that is IF the Z06 is not brought out as a 2022, go into its third model year without its second different model? (GM has never considered bringing out the convertible as its second model of a new generation though admittedly we have along the way seen an isolated GM employee statement and I believe one document in 2015 that referred to it as such).

* There is one argument suggesting that there will not be a E-Ray as a 2022 model, for it to debut the wide body’s enhanced visual look before the Z06 has not happened before, i.e., GM will not want to “spoil” the introduction of the C8’s wide bodied appearance prior to the Z06’s debut.

*BUT WHAT IF the 2022 E-Ray is not a wide bodied Corvette, but while as a 2022 it introduces both all wheel drive, itself a radical step forward never before in Corvettes’ then 69 year history, and also introduces the radically different enhancement of a hybrid Corvette, the 2022 E-Ray retains the same body width as the C8 Stingrays?

And if you bring out the E-Ray as a regular width, Stingray-width bodied 2022, we still get our C8 Z06 as our 70th Anniversary, introductory-wide-bodied 2023 Corvette.

A few other valid factors we have discussed before that could suggest the E-Ray is coming next:

* GM always extensively tests its models. Which of the two, potentially-next C8 mules, the E-ray or the Z06, have we seen way more than the other in spy shot mules? To my count, we have only seen perhaps three Z06 mules picture-captured, two other mules sound-capturing its flat plane crank, yet we have seen this past year more non-fat tired, non center-exhaust, non wide-bodied mules. My sense is that we could have seen at least several times as many non-Z06 mules captured for every Z06 mule. Here’s our most recent C8 mule E-Ray capture.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...y-gm-authority

* Are there are some more long term Z06 testing developments still to come? I am not saying there is a Z06 delay, just that perhaps GM’s plan all along was to not bring out the Z06 until the 2023 year because of the extensively exciting new Z06 components, and that GM always from day one GM wanted sufficient time to develop these enhancements. What about the time needed for such potential major Z06 developments as the following?
    • the flat plane crank motor as a production DOHV motor — especially if it is a twin turbo;
    • active front aero;
    • active rear aero;
    • raised, center-hatch-deck exhaust;
    • a needed, much more robust, Tremec DCT;
    • and who knows what else?
    Might as another wild idea, as Speed Phenom has recommended, what is one Z06 version, lops of half of its trunk, or perhaps all of it, for its Z07 version?

What if the C8 Z06 was always envisioned to be a complete step above previous generation Z06’s, e.g. starting in the middle $95,000 range or even higher and being the true competitor to the most upper end street Porsches, while also kicking the butt of many $250,000+ exotics. Regarding this idea, I have heard for now three years from two super connected individuals, each saying that the C8 Z06 is going to take no prisoners, that it will be significantly above and beyond what the C7 Z06 was in terms of being a competitor-killer. Might developing that super-killer C8 Z06 take more time than we wish — especially with at least a half year being taken away due to the strike and Covid.

So many things to consider? There is not definitively known info by anyone outside of GM as to which C8 model is coming next We can however sure ask these questions and use them as we are evaluating the next C8 mule sighting (visual and/or auditory).

Or might we next be adrenal-considering some major GM new model announcement?

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Interesting thoughts...

I think your first point is particularly important. GM talks the EV talk, now they have to show they walk the EV walk.
    Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
    Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series - 6:43.616 at the ring.
      Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44.97 at the ring.
      Porsche 911 GT2 RS - 6:47.3 at the ring.

C8 Z06 got work to do at the ring. Is that part of the job description?

Comment

Interesting questions. We shall see when GM is ready for us to see what is next.
        Looking forward to our ME arriving.

Comment

GM also said EV's by 2035. 14 Years is a long time to transition. My feeling is they will produce as many Gasoline Engines as they can while the market is in High Demand. Especially for the Corvette.
          Rocket City Florida

Comment

Hmmmm.... It looks like the media has finally caught up to my thought process. I guess it's time for me to move on to the next big thing while they build the hybrid enthusiasm. Where will the Corvette SUV fit in this mix, I wonder???

There sure is a lot to ponder in the world of Corvettes. More exciting time ahead for certain!
            2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

I hope they are revealed at the same time because I think they are both going to be great options. Other than race car drivers quite a few will be surprised if they had both on the table to choose from that they will struggle to choose which one they will want.

Comment

My 0.02 $. Not backed by rumours.

The hybrid Corvette (E-Ray or whatever the name will be) will lean towards a cruiser Corvette, in my opinion. Not radically different from a performance perspective than the Stingray. The emphasis will be proof of concept that GM can make performance hybrids (as this is the first try) and the safe bet from GM is to get all the marketing attention, calling it a hybrid, while the actual performance benefit is small (like many other performance hybrids with grunt from the combustion engine, not electrons). Yes, it will most likely be all wheel drive, but the following will mean less performance than what consensus sems to be and most likely v close to the Stingray Z51, but with better milage...

1: there is not a whole lot of room for batteries, even if they stuff it inside the “tunnel” of the aluminum structure.
                2: GM would probably skip the front trunk to make room for the EV mechanics. Not a lotta room, but this depends on the technology they are to (maybe) use.
                3: While the EV motor itself may pack a punch of 100-150 hp, that will actually translate to around half when combined with a combustion engine. Don’t ask me why, but 495 hp + 100 does not make 595...
                4: the vehicle will be quite a bit heavier with batteries, EV motor etc

As a side note, I believe GM will show the world (in due time, and for commercial reasons probably not before MY 2023/2024) that structural “tunnel” to have a dual use as the Z06 (or whatever it will be called, I personally believe it will be a “Zora edition”) could be room for a manual transmission.
                Placed order for 3LT, Rapid Blue, two-tone blue interior & splash guards. ETA Late 2021

Comment

Need to look at the footwell and see just how much room there is for 3 pedals. I've not got our yet so can't say. They likely aren't going to spend $$$$$ to redo the tub for making room if that's the case. Tadge said numerous times that even IF they wanted to put a manual in the car, they would have to re-work that tub/tunnel area to strengthen it, as it's a structural member and cutting any holes in it would result in changes downstream.
                  Manuals are dead in the Corvette. I love them and I'm sad about it, but it's the way of the future. The # of buyers will be ever smaller for one.

I have no opinions or insight into what could be coming for the Hybrid C8. Storage is a big deal to the Corvette team and they will have already planned ahead for the batteries and motors. That's evident in the front spindles.. they have knockout spots for axles to poke thru to drive the front wheels.
                  Agree... like others have said, the power figures are not taking into consideration that the EV and ICE power peaks come at different times and in different ways, so saying "peak HP is around 600" or whatever they are talking about... I'm sure they've run simulations and dyno'd the mules to see what happens and when, so they will have a number soon enough.

Totally agree, this is more a "taste" of what GM is capable of with the powertrains and if nothing else, it's more symbolic than real world ready. Not saying it won't be functional and GOOD, but that it's main goal is to get people ready.
                  Brian Huber
                  Previous Corvettes
                  2002 Z06 - SCCA autocross car - 58SSR ( Sold 4/20 )
                  2003 Vert - Wife's stress relief/therapy car ( Sold 7/20 )

2021 Coupe Black #6936 - Natural two-tone. 2LT, Mag-ride, NPP, Edge Red Calipers. NCM delivery ( Status 3000 as of 1/11/21 , 3300 as of 2/16/21, 3400 as of 3/9/21, 3800 as of 3/15/21, NCM Delivery 3/29)

Comment

If the e-Ray is not a wide body, it’s a waste of time. When you consider that the C7 grand sport lapped VIR 1.9 seconds faster than the C8 Z51, I would love to see what the C8 “Grand Sport” , with a little help to the front tires could do.
                    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

So I’m a bit confused on what your brainstorming John... are you saying 2022 could be a hybrid? If we’re talking pure hybrid I think a lot of Motor Heads will walk. And if I don’t get my order into the 2021 model year and the choice is hybrid (going into month 24 of my delivery) I would be wearing MY walking shoes too ... already had a MidEngine Hybrid... NOT interested in another... 500HP Internal Combustion is what I’m hanging on for... If you are getting any intell of this nature please keep it coming.... Don’t want to get stuck in Hybrid-ville for my next fun car! 😎
                      202(1 or 2) Arctic White HTC Z51 with all the Goodies 😎

Comment

Motortrend has a source that says that E-ray could have the FPC and be released in 2023.

I'll take one of those, Tadge!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...1-eray-rumors/

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
                          1: there is not a whole lot of room for batteries, even if they stuff it inside the “tunnel” of the aluminum structure.
                          2: GM would probably skip the front trunk to make room for the EV mechanics. Not a lotta room, but this depends on the technology they are to (maybe) use.
                          3: While the EV motor itself may pack a punch of 100-150 hp, that will actually translate to around half when combined with a combustion engine. Don’t ask me why, but 495 hp + 100 does not make 595...
                          4: the vehicle will be quite a bit heavier with batteries, EV motor etc

As a side note, I believe GM will show the world (in due time, and for commercial reasons probably not before MY 2023/2024) that structural “tunnel” to have a dual use as the Z06 (or whatever it will be called, I personally believe it will be a “Zora edition”) could be room for a manual transmission.
                          A gentlemanly rebuttal:

1. The 1.74 kWh battery would be so small it could fit in the glove compartment as I referenced in this thread: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...y-gm-authority
                          2. With the GM Ultium front-assist drive unit, they could mount it aft of the frunk.
                          3. Stock Stingray and whatever horsepower from the electric machine will be faster than what we currently have. And with AWD it may beat the Z06 from 0-60.
                          4. The E-Ray may only be 200 lbs. or so heavier than the current Stingray. The 300 HP front drive motor in a Tesla is only 200 lbs. The 1.74 kWh battery, if correct, would weigh 20 lbs. or so.

There is no way that they would ever go back to the twentieth century and add a manual transmission.
                          Bob Sliwa
                          "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
                          Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
                          Ludicrous Speed - https://youtu.be/ygE01sOhzz0

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
                          2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post
                            Motortrend has a source that says that E-ray could have the FPC and be released in 2023.

Motortrend, Motortrend, Motortrend??????? I remember now! Aren't those the folks who took one of the first Stingrays and mistakenly got 550 WHP on the dyno???

Regarding their 2023 Chevrolet Corvette PHEV section in that article, I still insist there will be ONE motor in the front-assist drive.

And the author references an LT1, which is an old motor. We have LT2s in the current Stingray.

To make it worse, they reference the image below of a Truck/SUV skateboard and front and rear motor. One could not fit either in a C8 with all the Vaseline and shoehorns in the world.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ultium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	384.2 KB ID:	238927
                            Last edited by Shepherd777; 02-08-2021, 05:26 PM.
                            Bob Sliwa
                            "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
                            Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
                            Ludicrous Speed - https://youtu.be/ygE01sOhzz0

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
                            2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post

This is what I am reading in that article

2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

However, thanks to an anonymous source—let's call him/her "Deep Burble"—we know a lot more about the upcoming and totally badass Z06. And we have some solid intel on the even more outrageous ZR1. Plus, we have some solid confirmation that all five variants are coming—including a PHEV, a full EV, and the ridiculous Zora.

The point of this article is to lump together everything we know about them all in one spot. How good a source is Deep Burble? They nailed the fact that the 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing would have the supercharged LT4 and a manual.

First out the gate will be the Z06. We've been endlessly speculating about exactly what makes the new Z06 for many moons, but now we know: The Corvette Z06 will have a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter flat-plane crank V-8, just like the 1-2 finishing C8.Rs at the Daytona 24. But instead of only 500 hp like the corked-up racecar makes, the street car will produce between 615 and 625 hp. Torque output should be similar to the racecar, at around 480 pound-feet. This means that the C8 Z06 will make less horsepower than the C7 Z06. Get it all out now. We good? Mind you, the 6.2-liter LT4 V-8 needed a supercharger to spit out 650 ponies. The new Z06 mill will make more than 95 percent as much power au natural, and rev like a rabid squirrel all the way to 9,000 rpm. Are you getting Ferrari 458 Speciale vibes? I am. Also, rumor is Chevy benchmarked that very supercar.

The Z06 will also sport (optional) carbon fiber wheels, just like the Ford Shelby GT500 Carbon Pack and Ford GT. This will not be an inexpensive option. If you look at the Shelby's $18,500 Carbon Pack, you get a wing, rear-seat delete, and a carbon dashboard, in addition to the wheels. Most of that money, therefore, pays for the carbon fiber rims. Expect to see (also optional) gigantic carbon-ceramic brake rotors, and some extra sticky flavor of Michelin's world-beating Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. The latest and greatest version of GM's MRC 4.0 (Magnetic Ride Control) will handle damping duties, and the aero will be C8.R-like.

Price? I'm hearing around $80,000, which is obviously too good to be true and close to $10K less expensive than the last Z06. But if the carbon wheels and brakes are in fact options, another $20,000 on top of the C8's $60,000 for essentially the new engine does make some sense. Bottom line: The one you and I will kill to drive will be in the $100,000-plus neighborhood.
                              Rocket City Florida

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X