Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Are All The Corvettes?

Ok,

What is the reason people park there cars in the winter? We picked ours up Jan and I'd like to know what the reasons are. This is our first Corvette and I'm loving driving the car now... I do park it below freezing for tire reasons. Other than tire reasons I understand if a salt brine is put on the roads it's bad for wheels??

Reasons for not driving in the winter:

Tires: Mount tires that are flexible at colder temps
    Salt: Only drive the car after rain has washed the roads off
    ???

What are the other reasons? I enjoy driving the car so I'm hoping the tires and salt are the only reasons :-) But I don't want to do anything dumb:-)
    Thanks!
    Mark

2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)
    STEK DYNOshield PPF, Llumar CTX 80% windshield 35% windows.
    NCM Delivered Jan 21 10am.

Depends on where you are basically. We store ours because the horrible salt brine and road salt on northern Wisconsin roads really creates problems if you want the car looking nice all of the time. We are considering taking it south to our southwest Florida home next winter, although the roads are pretty boring and way to crowded for motoring enjoyment in that part of Florida.

Might just continue to be enjoyed in the beautiful northland summers and fall.
    '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
    '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
    '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
    '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
    '14 Black Z51 Coupe
    '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
    '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

A lot has to do (with Us anyway) habit and location.
      Had Corvettes since the late 60's and never drove the cars in the winter.
      Live in upstate NY and 4 wheel drives are for winter use !
      We store our Toys starting after Columbus weekend, which is the last time of year
      for us for boating. We start winterizing the boat and jet skis right after that.
      Corvettes get put down for the winter Nov1. Insurance is less expensive.
      Just what we do.

Comment

Here’s 1 reason, but I have many more and they ALL look like this one.
        I live in the sunny confines of Click image for larger version

Name:	ED74B9B8-CC05-40AA-98CA-20B22DCF8D55.jpeg
Views:	660
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	237846
        Buffalo, NY where we all have a saying...”if you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it’ll change”

07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”You only live once, but, if you live right, once is enough “

Comment

Where I live there's no way I can drive the car between Nov and may. They dump way too much salt on the road.The salt doesn't wash off the road till late April

Comment

Originally posted by hogyld View Post
            Here’s 1 reason, but I have many more and they ALL look like this one.

Buffalo, NY where we all have a saying...”if you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it’ll change”
            l
            Looks like my driveway a couple of days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOnEarth View Post
              Ok,

What is the reason people park there cars in the winter? We picked ours up Jan and I'd like to know what the reasons are. This is our first Corvette and I'm loving driving the car now... I do park it below freezing for tire reasons. Other than tire reasons I understand if a salt brine is put on the roads it's bad for wheels??

Reasons for not driving in the winter:

Tires: Mount tires that are flexible at colder temps
              Salt: Only drive the car after rain has washed the roads off
              ???

What are the other reasons? I enjoy driving the car so I'm hoping the tires and salt are the only reasons :-) But I don't want to do anything dumb:-)
              Thanks!
              Mark

The reason I went with 1LT was because of the all-season tires and not having to worry about below freezing temps, etc. I drive it any time I want.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                Depends on where you are basically. We store ours because the horrible salt brine and road salt on northern Wisconsin roads really creates problems if you want the car looking nice all of the time. We are considering taking it south to our southwest Florida home next winter, although the roads are pretty boring and way to crowded for motoring enjoyment in that part of Florida.

Might just continue to be enjoyed in the beautiful northland summers and fall.
                We are just south of Cincinnati... so we see a little of the white stuff :-) Ya, Florida roads not so twisty right! :-)

2021 Torch Red HTC with Carbon Flash Top, Nacelles, mirror & spoiler. 3LT, GT2 Seats, Two Tone Red/Black... Z51 ... Standard wheels, Mag Ride and Front Lift :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic08 View Post
                  A lot has to do (with Us anyway) habit and location.
                  Had Corvettes since the late 60's and never drove the cars in the winter.
                  Live in upstate NY and 4 wheel drives are for winter use !
                  We store our Toys starting after Columbus weekend, which is the last time of year
                  for us for boating. We start winterizing the boat and jet skis right after that.
                  Corvettes get put down for the winter Nov1. Insurance is less expensive.
                  Just what we do.
                  Oh, so cheaper insurance too. Nice.
                  I can see that much snow causing me to park it.
                  I guess the newness is telling me to drive, drive, drive. I think that must be a lot of why I don't want to park it... it's new and it blows peoples heads off when I go anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by hogyld View Post
                    here’s 1 reason, but i have many more and they all look like this one.

buffalo, ny where we all have a saying...”if you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it’ll change”
                    yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty2ss View Post

l
                      Looks like my driveway a couple of days ago.
                      Looks like the New York folks have too much snow to deal with, I get it:-) That would suck.

So far I'm not getting the feeling I have to park ours. The salt seems to be a BIG worry.
                      So is the salt going to be BAD for the rest of the car? Other than the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by L79 View Post

The reason I went with 1LT was because of the all-season tires and not having to worry about below freezing temps, etc. I drive it any time I want.
                        That's what I like to hear!

Comment

Basically if you have the choice and one of them is a AWD or other better cold weather vehicle its an easy choice. Otherwise you go with what you have.

Comment

You could move to California

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOnEarth View Post

Looks like the New York folks have too much snow to deal with, I get it:-) That would suck.

So far I'm not getting the feeling I have to park ours. The salt seems to be a BIG worry.
                              So is the salt going to be BAD for the rest of the car? Other than the wheels?
                              It's just a matter of choice. If you want to drive then do it as you only go around once. I'm in NY in the hudson valley and we get our share of snow but if it ain't snowing I'm driving. We got 2 ft of snow last tuesday and by wednesday afternoon everything was cleared off. By thursday the roads were dry and clear. Salt and sand wash off so I much don't worry about it. Got my car on 12/4/20 and now have 2300 miles on it. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X