Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Broken Axles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many street miles does Spring Mountain put on every single one of their Corvettes before they first put in on their track?

Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

The owners manual says no full throttle starts until 500 miles. A launch control start is a full throttle start. You don't need to wait until 1,500 miles, it wouldn't have taken anything at all to say in the manual "no full throttle starts until 500 miles and no launch control starts until 1,500" but they didn't say that. Getting up to 60 using full throttle is not a track event.

Comment

Originally posted by VetteguyZ06 View Post
        Wow that's awesome, can't wait to try it!!

Yeah one video I saw "jrock702" His best 0 to 60 is also around the same. And for C7 Z06 at NV/Vegas it's about 0.7 slower in 1/4 mile vs at sea level, so it's about right compared to 2.8 at sea level.

Did instructors at spring mountain mention if their C8s have problems after all that launches from students? Or don't lower tire pressure, wait 5,10 minutes between launches etc ?
        The instructors didn't point to any problems or worries during my event at Spring Mountain. They set you up just like the manual said to, and off you went.

They did say that this thing was so fun at launch control, they believe owners should do it every time they go for a drive. (I agree with that assessment.)
        Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

Originally posted by VetteguyZ06 View Post
          Hi guys looking for some updated info since this thread is from Jan of last year.

So is the snapped axle still rare for most C8 or is it common (From launch control)? I am almost at 500 miles and plan to do launch control on local streets often, probably drag strip once a month or less. (Stock 2022 Z51) Thanks for your help.
          I haven't heard of any broken axles on stock, unmodified cars other than the one possible one more than a year ago. At Ron fellows every student does 2 launch control starts in every class, and they run multiple classes every week. They've reported no issues.

As far as 500 vs. 1500 miles, I agree that a Launch Control start isn't a track or competition event. But I also recall Tadge saying he would extend the 500 mile break-in to 1,000 miles on his personal car. Your car, your decision.
          Last edited by meyerweb; 05-14-2022, 08:05 AM.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil1098 View Post
            The owners manual says no full throttle starts until 500 miles. A launch control start is a full throttle start. You don't need to wait until 1,500 miles, it wouldn't have taken anything at all to say in the manual "no full throttle starts until 500 miles and no launch control starts until 1,500" but they didn't say that. Getting up to 60 using full throttle is not a track event.
            Totally agree with this plain reading of the manual. Also confirmed by the instructors at Spring Mountain. Launches are ok at 500 miles, wait until 1500 for track days or autocross events.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I haven't heard of any broken axles on stock, unmodified cars other than the one possible one more than a year ago. At Ron fellows every student does 2 launch control starts in every class, and they run multiple classes every week. They've reported no issues.

As far as 500 vs. 1500 miles, I agree that a Launch Control start isn't a track or competition event. But I also recall Tadge saying he would extend the 500 mile break-in to 1,000 miles on his personal car. Your car, your decision.
              We got to do six - three from each end of the main straightaway. My instructor Darryl (who swears he has no brothers named Darryl), said GM warrantees the car for these launches, and as long as you do it per the manual, you can do as many as you want. One other point - you need to put both hands on the wheel - the thing won't go in a straight line without the driver's guidance ! It is a hoot, but you need to pay attention !!

Comment

Originally posted by notsofast View Post
                I am trying to find out if this is a one off problem, ( I have seen a few reported) or something to worry about if you frequently launch your car for racing events. Drag, Autocross, etc.
                Quick survey: Who has broken an axle?
                what power mods do you have?
                What Tires did it happen on and treadwear rating of the tires?

Thanks in advance for the info!
                No axle failure but thought you might appreciate this pic…My Queen named her…
                Click image for larger version

Name:	42084026-6505-4BCD-A1F4-4329199F39D9.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	377774
                2022 Arctic White Z5, HTC, AH2seats, Perform Traction, Carbon Flash Mirrors, Red Calipers, Comp Rocker Ext, Carbon Flash Spoiler, Carbon Flash Nacelles, Front Lift, Mag Ride, Std Wheels (going to Black Chrome) Front/Rear Splash Guards, Torch Red Seat Belts, Museum Plaque, Two Tone GT2 Seats Red-Black, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Sueded Steering, Batt Charge, Born Date: Nov 9th. Delivery Date: Nov 29th. 684 days from Order Date… 👏😎

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X