Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Broken Axles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Axles!

I am trying to find out if this is a one off problem, ( I have seen a few reported) or something to worry about if you frequently launch your car for racing events. Drag, Autocross, etc.
    Quick survey: Who has broken an axle?
    what power mods do you have?
    What Tires did it happen on and treadwear rating of the tires?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Axles were broken on a prepared surface, not on the street or regular surfaces. You can launch it all day long.

Comment

One axle was broken due to that motor being enhanced with 100+ nitrous. One other one might have broken; it is still be investigated; was it the half shaft, the connector bearings, the eLSD or? Did the driver properly launch it?

But put these two into perspective that hundreds and hundreds if not multiple thousands of drag strip runs have been made without broken axle.

There have also been way over 10,000 full launch mode acceleration done successfully (perhaps over 100,000 of them).
      Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I'm going to guess that the eLSD is a non-serviceable item just as it is on the C7... so that's not a cheap fix.

I'm curious as to the stock prepped cars... IF they break, will it be when they are using launch control or not. I would THINK that @ 3500 RPM, that you're not putting the stresses on the drivetrain that you would be if you dropped the hammer from N.

But... I'm not even sure if you CAN do that with these cars.
        Brian Huber
        Previous Corvettes
        2002 Z06 - SCCA autocross car - 58SSR ( Sold 4/20 )
        2003 Vert - Wife's stress relief/therapy car ( Sold 7/20 )

2021 Coupe Black #6936 - Natural two-tone. 2LT, Mag-ride, NPP, Edge Red Calipers. NCM delivery ( Status 3000 as of 1/11/21 , 3300 as of 2/16/21, 3400 as of 3/9/21, 3800 as of 3/15/21, NCM Delivery 3/29)

Comment

Originally posted by AverageVetteNut View Post
          I'm going to guess that the eLSD is a non-serviceable item just as it is on the C7... so that's not a cheap fix.

I'm curious as to the stock prepped cars... IF they break, will it be when they are using launch control or not. I would THINK that @ 3500 RPM, that you're not putting the stresses on the drivetrain that you would be if you dropped the hammer from N.

But... I'm not even sure if you CAN do that with these cars.
          I have not heard of anyone doing it yet but with the "hold both paddles for neutral " you should be able to rev up to red line and then release the paddles "drop the hammer" . Anyone done this yet.

Comment

That's what I THOUGHT, and I know I saw someone's video doing just that, but wasn't 100% sure.

Not sure if there's any benefit of it either, as from 3500, the car seems to leap off the line just fine even with the stock tires.

Waiting to see on @ an autocross on Hoosiers and see how they launch.
            Brian Huber
            Previous Corvettes
            2002 Z06 - SCCA autocross car - 58SSR ( Sold 4/20 )
            2003 Vert - Wife's stress relief/therapy car ( Sold 7/20 )

2021 Coupe Black #6936 - Natural two-tone. 2LT, Mag-ride, NPP, Edge Red Calipers. NCM delivery ( Status 3000 as of 1/11/21 , 3300 as of 2/16/21, 3400 as of 3/9/21, 3800 as of 3/15/21, NCM Delivery 3/29)

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              One axle was broken due to that motor being enhanced with 100+ nitrous. One other one might have broken; it is still be investigated; was it the half shaft, the connector bearings, the eLSD or? Did the driver properly launch it?
              As I recall, that run also experience pretty severe axle hop, which also contributed to the failure. I agree that the axles are fine with factory HP.

I believe there is someone offering heavier duty components now, for those who are serious about drag racing.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post

I have not heard of anyone doing it yet but with the "hold both paddles for neutral " you should be able to rev up to red line and then release the paddles "drop the hammer" . Anyone done this yet.
                This sounds like a terrible idea. I'm certainly guilty of the old "neutral drop" when I was a dumb kid in high school though. I'm also guilty of ruining a transmission and spending a day in a junkyard getting another because I couldn't afford a rebuild!
                2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

Starting on page 177 of the owners manual, there are two ways to exit the declutch feature of the paddle shifters. Rapid and standard. Standard occurs automatically when the paddles are released above 6mph, the car continues on its merry way. Rapid release can be done with the vehicle moving under 6mph, if you choose that option the throttle and transmission will respond aggressively to whatever the throttle position is in the appropriate gear for your speed. In other words it will launch! Tire spin may occur especially if traction control and stabilitrack are turned off.
                  Watch it!!
                  Last edited by Jetdriver; Yesterday, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Hi guys looking for some updated info since this thread is from Jan of last year.

So is the snapped axle still rare for most C8 or is it common (From launch control)? I am almost at 500 miles and plan to do launch control on local streets often, probably drag strip once a month or less. (Stock 2022 Z51) Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by VetteguyZ06 View Post
                      Hi guys looking for some updated info since this thread is from Jan of last year.

So is the snapped axle still rare for most C8 or is it common (From launch control)? I am almost at 500 miles and plan to do launch control on local streets often, probably drag strip once a month or less. (Stock 2022 Z51) Thanks for your help.
                      Are you sure? Full break-in is 1500 miles. From the manual:

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
                      . Do not participate in track events, sport
                      driving schools, or similar activities.

Comment

Originally posted by VetteguyZ06 View Post
                        I am almost at 500 miles and plan to do launch control on local streets often, probably drag strip once a month or less. (Stock 2022 Z51) Thanks for your help.
                        Like My1stVette said, you need to wait until 1500 miles before launch control should be used.
                        Bob Sliwa
                        "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
                        Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
                        Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
                        2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I used the Launch Control from 3500 rpm a half dozen times at Spring Mountain and the thing launched like scalded dog every time. My quickest was 3.46 which was pretty good at 2700' above seal level. I have only tried it ONCE with the Silver Bullet and it worked just like it did in Pahrump, NV.

One observation for youse guys who haven't done it - the rate of acceleration seems to INCREASE as you get nearer 60 mph. It is both a bit weird and a bit scary feeling. I think it is a function of the torque management in the launch / DCT control, so by the time you get to 60 mph it feels like it wants to jump to warp speed. My butt-o-meter might be off, but it NEVER felt like this in my C7.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                            I used the Launch Control from 3500 rpm a half dozen times at Spring Mountain and the thing launched like scalded dog every time. My quickest was 3.46 which was pretty good at 2700' above seal level. I have only tried it ONCE with the Silver Bullet and it worked just like it did in Pahrump, NV.

One observation for youse guys who haven't done it - the rate of acceleration seems to INCREASE as you get nearer 60 mph. It is both a bit weird and a bit scary feeling. I think it is a function of the torque management in the launch / DCT control, so by the time you get to 60 mph it feels like it wants to jump to warp speed. My butt-o-meter might be off, but it NEVER felt like this in my C7.
                            Wow that's awesome, can't wait to try it!!

Yeah one video I saw "jrock702" His best 0 to 60 is also around the same. And for C7 Z06 at NV/Vegas it's about 0.7 slower in 1/4 mile vs at sea level, so it's about right compared to 2.8 at sea level.

Did instructors at spring mountain mention if their C8s have problems after all that launches from students? Or don't lower tire pressure, wait 5,10 minutes between launches etc ?
                            Last edited by VetteguyZ06; 05-13-2022, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by My1stVette View Post

Are you sure? Full break-in is 1500 miles. From the manual:

For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
                              . Do not participate in track events, sport
                              driving schools, or similar activities.
                              Thanks for that, acutally I wrote that 1500 miles down a long time ago and I forgot about it.

I believe some people do the 1500 miles, some 1000 miles, I might wait until somewhere in between.

If axle breaks it's covered under warranty, but so many parts people have to wait a long time for, I wonder if axle is one of them, I better be careful !
                              Last edited by VetteguyZ06; 05-13-2022, 09:17 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X