X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RLCullum
    • Mar 2020
    • Central FL

My one disappointment in the C8

Or maybe I just had my expectations too high. I was hoping that being a mid-engine car with the cockpit moved way up, one could see the road much closer to the car than in is big nosed brethren. In my C7 with the seat adjusted the way I like it, I could see a spot on the road 14 feet in front of the nose of the car. I did the same measurement in my C8 and to my surprise the distance was 14 feet -- exactly the same as in the prior generation.

But if that is all I have to complain about, I guess that it is a bit of a compliment.
  • GAG
    Sr. Contributor
    • Apr 2020
    • Western Suburbs Chicago, IL

Well according to the test Car and Driver did it should be worse than the C7. So the fact you are saying it is the same proves Car and Driver was wrong. Maybe it depends on how tall you are?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-visibility/
    2020 Torch Red Z51, Mag Ride, 2LT, Two tone GT2 seats (Black Red), Front Lift, Engine Appearance, Red Engine Cover, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Wheels, Mirrors/Spoiler, Black Lugs, R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

• WhiteHorse
      Sr. Contributor
      • Feb 2020
      • Central Florida

I have the same complaint. And GM should know better by now. The seat height adjustment is pitiful, not only does it not go up high enough, it readjusts other angles of the seat. I had to buy a wedge cushion on Amazon, which I posted in another thread.

The other complaint I have is that they really should have more driver safety warnings like most other cars have these days, such as Lane change or automatic warning/braking to prevent collisions if the driver chooses to activate the feature.

The rear view camera should also be capable of serving as a dash cam. That would be great.

Other than those few things, I'm totally enamored with the car.
      2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
      Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

Comment

• Ace
        Sr. Contributor
        • Jul 2019
        • Germany

Originally posted by WhiteHorse
        The other complaint I have is that they really should have more driver safety warnings like most other cars have these days, such as Lane change or automatic warning/braking to prevent collisions if the driver chooses to activate the feature.
        To my knowledge Chevy is doing a full european homologation for the EU C8 launching later this year. EU homologation mandates an emergency braking system. So this could lead to adding this option for all models soon.
        2023 C8 Stingray | Elkhart Lake Blue | 2LT | Coupe | European Model

Comment

• garyfields1953
          Banned
          • Oct 2019
          • Portland, Oregon

Originally posted by WhiteHorse
          I have the same complaint. And GM should know better by now. The seat height adjustment is pitiful, not only does it not go up high enough, it readjusts other angles of the seat. I had to buy a wedge cushion on Amazon, which I posted in another thread.

The rear view camera should also be capable of serving as a dash cam. That would be great.

Other than those few things, I'm totally enamored with the car.

I’m surprised you don’t find the seat comfortable. We picked up our C8 at the Museum last Thursday. We have been driving around 6-8 hours per day. Both my wife and I have bad backs. We have been more comfortable than any car we have ever owned, and we have always had nice cars. we currently have over 2000 miles on the car heading home to Portland Oregon.

Comment

• Murray20c8
            2020 Forum MVP & Sr. Contributor
            • Nov 2019
            • Uxbridge, Ontario

Both myself and my wife think the road is much more visible than front engine cars. I guess stature and seat height must play into it. <shrug>
            Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
            2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
            Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
            3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

• jackfrostpdx
              Sr. Contributor
              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Murray20c8
              Both myself and my wife think the road is much more visible than front engine cars. I guess stature and seat height must play into it. <shrug>
              I agree with this assessment, although I sit high enough to not be able to see stoplights if I'm first in line even with the seat at the lowest position.

Comment

• meyerweb
                Special 2022 Contributor, Founding Member & Patron
                • Jul 2018
                • Northern Virginia

While I agree, to some extent, that the C8 could have more safety features, especially in the base model, those features don't come free. GM clearly wanted to have a base price of under $60K, and there's a limit to how much you can do at that price. I think they made the right compromises, choosing a rigid, aluminum structure and a nearly 500HP drivetrain with DCT (the Porsche PDK is a $3200 - $3700 option on some cars!) over automatic braking. Do you want the car to automatically maintain your lane for you? Maybe steer around curves and follow the car ahead of you all by itself, too? The C8 is supposed to be a driver's car. If you want a car that does things for you, there are many other choices. What competing sports cars, even at higher price points, have automatic braking? (Oh, and the 2LT and 3LT do have blind spot warning for lane changes.)
                Delivered 5/29/2021!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels, Carbon Flash splitter and side skirts, magnetic engine cover mod & custom painted engine cover, AMT door sills, Soler throttle controller, SmartTop HTC controller
                >22,000 miles
                Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• DavidM
                  Senior Contributor
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Waco, Texas

My one complaint would be that the steering column/wheel don't adjust up high enough to make entering and exiting the car easier.
                  2020 2LT Z51 Coupe
                  2001 Z06 Millenium Yellow/Red/Black
                  1966 Coupe Red/Black with Factory AC, PS, PB, PA, KO Wheels

Comment

• Murray20c8
                    2020 Forum MVP & Sr. Contributor
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Uxbridge, Ontario

Originally posted by DavidM
                    My one complaint would be that the steering column/wheel don't adjust up high enough to make entering and exiting the car easier.
                    Even with it all the way in?
                    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                    3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

• meyerweb
                      Special 2022 Contributor, Founding Member & Patron
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Northern Virginia

Originally posted by DavidM
                      (If you have a 2LT or 3LT) have you set the exit position for the seat, so it moves back away from the dash and steering wheel before you get out?
                      Delivered 5/29/2021!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels, Carbon Flash splitter and side skirts, magnetic engine cover mod & custom painted engine cover, AMT door sills, Soler throttle controller, SmartTop HTC controller
                      >22,000 miles
                      Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• jagtoes
                        Sr. Contributor
                        • Dec 2019
                        • NY

I'm getting used to the seats as I just turned 1800 miles since 12/4. I find the left bolster to be a little more pressure on my side . Funny the right bolster doesn't bother me. Must be my shape. Also the ride is about the same as my XKR was but the difference in comfort is because the Jag seats had more padding. On the other hand I don't have a problem with 3 hour drives and will see as we get into the new year how my planned 8 hour drives will be.

Comment

• oooseun
                          Sr. Contributor
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Bay Area

Originally posted by meyerweb
                          While I agree, to some extent, that the C8 could have more safety features, especially in the base model, those features don't come free. GM clearly wanted to have a base price of under $60K, and there's a limit to how much you can do at that price. I think they made the right compromises, choosing a rigid, aluminum structure and a nearly 500HP drivetrain with DCT (the Porsche PDK is a $3200 - $3700 option on some cars!) over automatic braking. Do you want the car to automatically maintain your lane for you? Maybe steer around curves and follow the car ahead of you all by itself, too? The C8 is supposed to be a driver's car. If you want a car that does things for you, there are many other choices. What competing sports cars, even at higher price points, have automatic braking? (Oh, and the 2LT and 3LT do have blind spot warning for lane changes.)
                          I keep hearing the safety features are expensive mantra; No it is not. these safety features come standard on all hyundai and toyota cars, and have for a few years now. My Hyundai Santa Fe basically drives itself, and that's in the base model. Take a look at the GM lineup and it's not encouraging at all, when they do include cool safety features, it's locked into 1 car no one wants to buy (The CT6).

Even on the C8, you have to pay $7k to get 3 extra cameras and blind spot monitoring (which has been standard on my 2nd Hyundai for 8 years now). Nickel and diming like this is why foreign brands kick our ***.

There's also the 'drivers car' argument. This doesn't fly as you can usually turn these systems off, and in the worst of cases, they can save your precious drivers car or even better, your life. If porsche can do Active Cruise control, then a whole GM should be able to figure it out.

What competing sports cars, even at higher price points, have automatic braking? (Oh, and the 2LT and 3LT do have blind spot warning for lane changes.)
                          Well, let's see, the NSX, 911, 718, M3/M4,S3/S4/S5/S6, F-Type, Model 3P, Golf GTI, Mustangs, AR Guilia, All maseratis, AMG GT, Polestar 1, the supra

I'm willing to wait till at least ACC is on the corvette, but the way it's looking (and given that the camaro a much bigger car with less emphasis on being a drivers car than the corvette DOESN'T have it in 2021) even if it comes soon, it'll still be behind + it'll cost a kidney in packages.

Comment

• DavidM
                            Senior Contributor
                            • Nov 2019
                            • Waco, Texas

Originally posted by Murray20c8

Even with it all the way in?
                            I think it is all the way in. I will try again.
                            2020 2LT Z51 Coupe

Comment

• DavidM
                              Senior Contributor
                              • Nov 2019
                              • Waco, Texas

Originally posted by meyerweb

(If you have a 2LT or 3LT) have you set the exit position for the seat, so it moves back away from the dash and steering wheel before you get out?
                              2LT and yes I have set the exit position for the seat.
                              2020 2LT Z51 Coupe

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...