Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

Price it Right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikerjulio
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxster View Post

Good note.
    At some point I was against all paddle shifters, if they were associated to a torque converter it was just gimmicky. The hydro-pneumatic systems, utterly complex and expensive to build and maintain.
    On the track, DCT is faster. Can't find a rational objection to DCT, an alternative would be to go back to gearboxes without synchros in the interest of blind purity?
    The current Golf R provides a useful comparison because the identical car can be had with a manual or DCT trans. 0-60 times claimed are 5.1 sec for the manual and 4.6 sec for the DCT. Regardless of the claim I have not see a single comparison test where the DCT was slower. It's on a par with my C6 Corvette.

Leave a comment:

• Maxster
    replied
    Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post

It has been adapted for high performance cars because of it's inherent swift shifting ability,
    Good note.
    At some point I was against all paddle shifters, if they were associated to a torque converter it was just gimmicky. The hydro-pneumatic systems, utterly complex and expensive to build and maintain.
    On the track, DCT is faster. Can't find a rational objection to DCT, an alternative would be to go back to gearboxes without synchros in the interest of blind purity?

Leave a comment:

• Bikerjulio
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxster View Post

Why are people referring to DCT as an automatic when it has settings for Manual and Automatic, not just one.
    VW introduced the first production DCT in 2003 on the Jetta. The idea was to create an auto trans that was more fuel-efficient than the standard auto. It has been adapted for high performance cars because of it's inherent swift shifting ability, but the manufacturers of the transmissions and the car companies still call them automatic.

I have a new VW Golf R for instance where they describe the trans as "7-speed automatic DSG with Tiptronic".

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Just as our current C7 automatics have both an automatic mode and then paddles for the driver to choose to upshift or downshift those transmissions, similarly the DCT has a mode where you can, should you want, leave it in D all the time, never shifting on your own (such as perhaps in H/D, stop-n-go rush hour traffic), or conversely when you wish to take control and make each shift on your own, press the M button and then manually shift your gears up and down with your paddles.

Leave a comment:

• Maxster
    replied
    Originally posted by Plasboy View Post

I can appreciate that you like manual transmission sports cars but you may have real trouble buying one in the future no matter what brand.
    Why are people referring to DCT as an automatic when it has settings for Manual and Automatic, not just one.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Originally posted by ltomn View Post

John, you are leading these folks down a garden path. There is nothing at the end of it for $60k or even $70k. The interior shots, when dolled up and given the GM sales pitch is going to show a magnificent vehicle, not an inexpensive one. And when we finally see the clothes off of the exterior, we'll be further convinced that this is a car not meant for the Stingray crowd. It may be for the one that buys that version by choice but certainly not for the one that buys by necessity. I do not say this to be derogatory only to be informative.
    There is nothing to say that the beautiful ME interior we saw a couple of days ago is not a 4LT interior option costing $14,750, that the front axle lift system is not another $2,000 option, that there is not an optional safety/tech/infotainment package costing $3,000, etc.

The option/extra cost list for ME is going to be considerable, easily taking well equipped ones close to, and in more than rare cases, exceeding
    $100K — especially for the HT convertible. How about if we please just agree to disagree on the MSRP for the ME?

Leave a comment:

• Plasboy
    replied
    Originally posted by ltomn View Post

John, you are leading these folks down a garden path. There is nothing at the end of it for $60k or even $70k. The interior shots, when dolled up and given the GM sales pitch is going to show a magnificent vehicle, not an inexpensive one. And when we finally see the clothes off of the exterior, we'll be further convinced that this is a car not meant for the Stingray crowd. It may be for the one that buys that version by choice but certainly not for the one that buys by necessity. I do not say this to be derogatory only to be informative.
    Don't know what your expecting, maybe an FE car to be built too but don't see how they can price it over 70 and keep their current base of customers. Its not creating a whole new model if it's the only Corvette and you need to keep it where those who could buy before can buy now.
    Yes the base can be a little higher since with the DCT you not have an auto transmission upcharge and probably some other as standard items but if its the only Corvette its got to stay moderately reasonable..

Leave a comment:

• ltomn
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	166692D9-3C06-4EDC-8B70-007BE36424F9.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	22648

Leave a comment:

• Z_Rocks
    replied
    Originally posted by Plasboy View Post

I can appreciate that you like manual transmission sports cars but you may have real trouble buying one in the future no matter what brand.
    I know... All the 2020 GT500 videos show the spy cars were ALL auto.

Leave a comment:

• Z_Rocks
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulChristian View Post
    I don’t know if it would reduce sales....
    At least ONE. I won't buy an auto sport car. And from the Corvette-Club days, I remember most Corvette drivers and racers (not drag race), all drove manual.

Leave a comment:

• Plasboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Z_Rocks View Post
    If C8 Base model starts above $70K, they will have a hard time selling it in mass.
    And if they don't offer manual, that' another reduction of sales. I won't buy one if auto. I only drive manual when i comes to sport car. For sedans and SUV, Auto is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• smoove7410
    replied
    There is no factual information supporting a starting price of six-figures. The source on the other forum has repeatedly tried hedging / retracting his pricing statement. When the statement was made, the price hadn't even been set (it still hasn't), only the pricing tier, which is not starting at 100k. The price will likely not be fully set until mid-year when pricing is released. Remember, debuts rarely include the price.......

Where the engine sits in the car does not substantially impact the actual price (Pontiac Fiero, Alfa 4c, Porsche Cayman). Engineering, materials, manufacturing, etc. drive cost.

The NSX wasn't priced where it was because it was mid-engined, it was priced due to the hybrid technology it leveraged, which is advanced. Personally, while I like it, they should have aimed for 100k to compete with the GTR where it would have sold well (which would have meant a non-hybrid power-train). At the end of the day, while it does perform very well, it's an Acura. The same goes for a Corvette, no matter how good it performs, it is still a Chevrolet (there is a reason you see the brand wide steering wheel controls on the most recent interior pics - it is how you keep the model within the pricing target). This is the reason companies have higher tier brands (Chevrolet - Cadillac, Honda - Acura, Toyota - Lexus, Hyundai - Genesis, VW - Audi, Nissan - Infiniti). Car manufacturers understand this, so expect the Corvette to cost more than the C7 (model for model), but not substantially more.
    Last edited by smoove7410; 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PaulChristian
    replied
    What if the entry price of a C8 is actually less than the entry price of a GS? Will that be pricing it right?
    ah...yeah.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	166692D9-3C06-4EDC-8B70-007BE36424F9.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	22648

Leave a comment:

• Ateupjoe
    replied
    What if the entry price of a C8 is actually less than the entry price of a GS? Will that be pricing it right?
    Yes it will.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X