MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Tremec TR-9007 DCT For The C8? C7’s Ending & C8’s Beginnings: Possible Options. ME’s Infotainment System Capabilities and Components

2 of 2 < >

Wish To Change Your Forum Name? Bob Lutz on C8 vs C7 Pricing; ME’s LT2 Engine Technology Enhancments!

It is easy to change your forum name. Retain your post count. Please PM “John.”
Chazcron’s Renders of Today:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...w-gif-and-ones
C8 Just A Little More: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...on-for-version
See more
See less

When First C8 Gets Home?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really beginning to think that grabbing a ZR1 as a placeholder for a year or two isn't such a bad idea. So many GM resources are being moved over to 'electrics' that the C8 development may be compromised from a timing standpoint. Heck, they may even be shifting the C8's emphasis to a battery powered base model! Only time will tell....

Comment

Owning a ZR1 would be terrific. Great option for you and others. Did you see this morning GM’s press release in which they said that Cadillac will be its lead pure electric division. However as they have bigger fish to fry, by a factor of millions than a Cadillac ME sports car. As I suggested several times for at least a year, I am thinking that Cadillac will be bringing out a pure electric ME sports car around the 2022/ 2023 model year.

I am sure that the entry, next year Corvette ME will be purely a V8 combustion engine. Not concerned about that at all.

I think however, that the ME Corvette is delayed somewhat; yet as C8Driving just noted, I am in the camp that 2021 model year mid engine C8’s will be shipping right after the start of the next new year, e.g., next January.

How that might fit into your timeline versus getting a ZR1 as an interim car, only you are the brains behind that choice. Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.
      Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

GM/Chevrolet cannot let the $600M (or whatever) BG expansion sit there and just be idle! It will take months to convert it over to C8 production. Once started, the "cat" will be left out of the bag with production workers helping with the conversion. If there are issues of any kind, whether they be engineering, production, or suppliers, you have to know there is pressure to get whatever fixed! The NAIAS has become a bust! With Ford announcing their new Shelby GT 500 with more power than any previous production automobile made, I don't think Chevrolet wanted to compete on that January stage and possibly have the C8 upstaged. Whether it's the Rolex 24, the New York Auto Show, or even the BASH, look for the reveal to happen sooner rather than later so that they can begin the conversion of the BG plant and get production and revenues rolling!

Comment

I totally agree that the Plant can not be let idle!

i am thinking the conversation might not take nearly as long as you are thinking. Why, because when they gutted the entire plant and replaced all of its interior equipment, assembly lines — such as the install of the new skillet system during the fall of 2017’s 13-week shutdown. they sure were smart enough to only buy new equipment and install new assembly line equipment that they knew worked well for more than just the 2019 model year, that all the new equipment had to be C8 compatible.

Also, as they were able on the existing line to actually to build tens of C8 prototypes this year, there may be a lot less conversation time when the C7 run ends this year, to thus have it be 100% C8 ready with a minimal amount of time IMO. My best guess is that that time period would be six to eight weeks, with a lot of it the identical training process that they pioneered during the 13 week shut down, a combo of computer learning, afternoon hands on with actual tools and part manipulations, then a repeat the next day, and then testing to insure every employee had “level 4 skill certification” on their job (and one a second job within their area of the plant). And training for each area’s supervisor that that person had level 4 skill certification on every job in their supervised area.
          Last edited by John; 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM.
          Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

So, on average, how long after reveal are new models delivered?

Comment

For a brand new generation, typically around 8 months after the reveal.

Comment

I realize that it may be a while before they begin delivering to customers, but when do you think we will finally get a look at the real thing? Also, do you guys think it is wise to wait for them to work the bugs out for a few years before jumping right in considering it is a completely redisgned platform?

Comment

Welcome johngjr. Very thoughtful first post. We are glad you joined us.

Comment

Originally posted by johngjr View Post
                    Also, do you guys think it is wise to wait for them to work the bugs out for a few years before jumping right in considering it is a completely redisgned platform?
                    It's not wise to wait if you are as old as some of us. lol

Comment

Statistically, as has been every generation, not just of the Corvette, but other models of other brands too, the last year of a model has had the fewest issues. If we add in cost factors for the Corvette specifically, the price increases within a generation have been many times made up for by discounts the last year.

However, as JustOneMore noted, there are other factors. Enjoying now what could be put off until later, especially when later is never guaranteed at any age, is a major one. Even if one is 35 years of age and doing great, one’s person’s business could fail, could get hit by a truck, get critically sick, and/or have a member of one family who is counting on you, get incredibly sick.

I personally have followed the wisdom of waiting until the second year of the last three generations to buy my Corvette. It has worked really well for me. Conversely, I am many friends who bought a very early fist year C7, who have had not a lick of an issue since.

Sorry, no definitive answers; instead all individualized circumstances and choices.

As you asked, here are some generalities which only you johngjr can best determine. How might your ability to wait be? Might you stress every time you see one driving by, in a parking lot, or would you we okay with that? Might waiting one more year work financially better for you (paying off your SUV or whatever)? MIght you have had a first year model before with nothing but problems? Are there capabilities of the second year that might be those you want more, e.g., the higher powered, Z06 version?

Sorry John, darn good question you asked, but i have no advice that I would know would be best for you. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comment

We took delivery of our C7 the 1st week of Oct 2013 and after 20,000 miles of fair weather driving have had no issues to speak of. If I had waited I would have missed out on getting Lime Rock Green & possibly full Kalahari dash cover on the 3LT package. There is also the public interest, the entire dealership coming out to the parking lot at 8 am to watch you take the cover off because its' the first one they've seen, or people coming over to you in gas stations & parking lots asking what it is. Something special about having the 1st one.

Comment

Not sure, but didn't I read recently that with the recent plant closures they were rumored to build other models at the BG plant? Wish I could remember where I read that...

Comment

I remember something a little different. I remember that when GM put out a public document including BGA in the list of plant to which they are adding UAW employees (transferred from closed plants). Which to me leaves two possibilities, either they are going to bring in new product (as you suggested but they did not mention new product for the reason for creating those the additional jobs), or that they are going to need additional employees to build the C8.

I totally believe GM that they are going to create additional jobs at BGA, but how is not yet known.

Two thoughts, but again I believe GM was telling the truth and that they will be transferring laid off employees to BGA, and that is with the starting of the ME down the production line IMO early, early in 2020, they will need more employees for the start up (contrary to past start ups of new Corvette generations), or they are bringing in new product. I can not imagine that latter because the last thing one needs is to bring in new non-Corvette product at the same you are starting a brand new Corvette generation.

For those who believe that this means for sure that a second assembly line is going to start up, and that more employees are need for both Corvette FE continuation and ME starting, this would appear to support your thesis.

Personally, I totally disagree with a second assembly line, but without any proof either way, just literally my opinion, for all we know for sure is two things:

1) The ME is coming down the production line in the next year to 15 months (maybe as soon as even 8 more months), and,
                            2) BGA is expanding its number of jobs (per GM public document to that effect).

Other ideas?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X