Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zo6devilcar
    replied
    Thanks Shawn. I've gotten the dealer POed at me because I've been pretty insistent. What I'm trying now is a USB Thumb drive that only has music with a lower bit rate. My initial drive which I used successfully in all 3 of my previous C7s had a mix of different bit rates on it including a bunch of songs at 320kbps. I've built two different ones now to test, 1) has 160kbps and below music, and 2) has 128kbps music only. Because it's intermittent I'm now running the 128kbps card to see if it will fail. I'll update this thread once I have some results. BTW, a friend of mine has a 2020 Malibu and had the same error. He's going to see if his dealer will install the Radio Software Version V807.

2-4-2021

To follow up on my resear5ch I built 2 USB drives with music. The first drive has songs recorded at a bit rate of 160kbps and lower, the second has songs all recorded at a bit rate of 320kbps.

To make this problem occur you need to be streaming music from the USB drive to the Media app while the NAV is starting up.

I tested the 160kbps USB drive for 3 weeks without a failure. I then replaced that USB drive with the one recorded and 320kbps and the failure occurred the second time I started the car.

The obvious conclusion is that the NAV SD card and the USB media shares the same data bus, and with the higher bit rate music playing while trying the read from the NAV SD card creates contention on the data bus that the SD Card control software is not able to recover from thus the NAV SD Card Removed message.

2 Friends of mine with C8s have tested this with the same conclusion. In one case the dealer ordered him a new NAV SD card, and in the other the dealer wanted to replace the SD Reader in the center console.

Neither of these will fix the problem and this idea of re-seating the SD card is totally ridiculous. It just give the dealers a quick exit from having to deal with this problem.
    Last edited by zo6devilcar; 02-04-2021, 03:47 PM. Reason: New data from testing

Leave a comment:

• shawnguess
    replied
    Originally posted by zo6devilcar View Post
    Hello everyone, I ran into this problem while on a road trip in my 2020 Z51 Coupe. I went through all of the "user errors" that the service departments suggested but none fixed the problem. I too went through the which SD card and was initially confused by the PDR SD card, but as you all pointed out the SD card is the one high up in the rear of the console box.

Eventually the problem resolved itself, then would return intermittently. That night at the hotel I googled the issue and found out that this problem not only occurs on the C8 but also other GM product such as Blazer, Camaro, Equinox, and Malibu that are 2019 and newer with the new NAV and is very intermittent. Thinking through the sequence of events I realized that one thing I had done the night before was insert a USB Thumb drive with MP3 music and that music was streaming during the NAV startup which does a significant amount of reading from the NAV SD card. I could predictably watch it fail.

My conclusion on this, and you can certainly challenge my thoughts on this topic, is that the USB slots and the NAV SD card are on the same data bus and during NAV startup, if you are also streaming USB music the NAV SD Card Reader is having contention on the bus and eventually errors out thus causing the SD Card error message.

This plagued me from Arkansas to Texas and I finally decided to remove the USB Thumb drive. Guess what, I never had a failure after that.

So I did some more research and went to a couple of dealers who thought I was nuts or wanted to remove my center console and replace the SD Card reader. Basically the service departments in the Chevy dealers don't acknowledge this problem and want to reseat your SD card and send you on your way.

I mentioned that this problem exists on other GM brands with the new NAV. I found a Technical Service Bulletin 19-NA-279 with the Subject - Radio Software Version V807 Over-the-Air update that mentioned all of the 2019 and 2020 GM products except the Corvette. My conclusion is this is not going to be an easy battle with GM.

I'm currently building a new Music USB drive with MP3 files that have a lower bit rate to see if it is a bandwidth issue.

If you're suffering this situation try removing your USB cards and see if it resolves itself

Good luck if you're having this issue, but I would be extremely interested in your input to this post.
    i have the exact same problem and came to the same conclusion as you have about the usb drive for music. i initially took it to the dealer and got a new nav sd card thinking that was the problem, but it wasnt.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Another reason to use Google Maps via AA or CP.

Leave a comment:

• zo6devilcar
    replied
    By the way, if you talk to the Chevrolet Service Center which is what we did they will tell you to do the following procedure;

1.Start the car with you in it
    2.Pull out the NAV SD card
    3. Turn the car off
    4. Open and close the door
    5. Sit in the car for 2 minutes, or longer but definitely 2 minutes
    6. start the car
    7. Reinsert the NAV SD card

This will reset the error, we've tried it and it works, but it doesn't fix the bug. This is a work around and not a fix. If you leave your USB thumb drive in the car and it is streaming music during the NAV initialization it will eventually fail again. This is an intermittent bug and doesn't fail each time.

In Matt's case he had an actual SD Card removal not this bug

Leave a comment:

• Matt-C8
    replied
    Originally posted by zo6devilcar View Post
    Hello everyone, I ran into this problem while on a road trip in my 2020 Z51 Coupe. I went through all of the "user errors" that the service departments suggested but none fixed the problem. I too went through the which SD card and was initially confused by the PDR SD card, but as you all pointed out the SD card is the one high up in the rear of the console box.

Eventually the problem resolved itself, then would return intermittently. That night at the hotel I googled the issue and found out that this problem not only occurs on the C8 but also other GM product such as Blazer, Camaro, Equinox, and Malibu that are 2019 and newer with the new NAV and is very intermittent. Thinking through the sequence of events I realized that one thing I had done the night before was insert a USB Thumb drive with MP3 music and that music was streaming during the NAV startup which does a significant amount of reading from the NAV SD card. I could predictably watch it fail.

My conclusion on this, and you can certainly challenge my thoughts on this topic, is that the USB slots and the NAV SD card are on the same data bus and during NAV startup, if you are also streaming USB music the NAV SD Card Reader is have contention on the bus and eventually errors out thus causing the SD Card error message.

This plagued me from Arkansas to Texas and I finally decided to remove the USB Thumb drive. Guess what, I never had a failure after that.

So I did some more research and went to a couple of dealers who thought I was nuts or wanted to remove my center console and replace the SD Card reader. Basically the service departments in the Chevy dealers don't acknowledge this problem and want to reseat your SD card and send you on your way.

I mentioned that this problem exists on other GM brands with the new NAV. I found a Technical Service Bulletin 19-NA-279 with the Subject - Radio Software Version V807 Over-the-Air update that mentioned all of the 2019 and 2020 GM products except the Corvette. My conclusion is this is not going to be an easy battle with GM.

I'm currently building a new Music USB drive with MP3 files that have a lower bit rate to see if it is a bandwidth issue.

If you're suffering this situation try removing your USB cards and see if it resolves itself

Good luck if you're having this issue, but I would be extremely interested in your input to this post.
    In my case it the Sd card had come loose. I presume it was when I was moving things around in my center console... all I had to do was wiggle it a bit and it fixed itself. has never happened again...

Leave a comment:

• zo6devilcar
    replied

My conclusion on this, and you can certainly challenge my thoughts on this topic, is that the USB slots and the NAV SD card are on the same data bus and during NAV startup, if you are also streaming USB music the NAV SD Card Reader is having contention on the bus and eventually errors out thus causing the SD Card error message.

2-4-2021

To follow up on my resear5ch I built 2 USB drives with music. The first drive has songs recorded at a bit rate of 160kbps and lower, the second has songs all recorded at a bit rate of 320kbps.

To make this problem occur you need to be streaming music from the USB drive to the Media app while the NAV is starting up.

I tested the 160kbps USB drive for 3 weeks without a failure. I then replaced that USB drive with the one recorded and 320kbps and the failure occurred the second time I started the car.

The obvious conclusion is that the NAV SD card and the USB media shares the same data bus, and with the higher bit rate music playing while trying the read from the NAV SD card creates contention on the data bus that the SD Card control software is not able to recover from thus the NAV SD Card Removed message.

2 Friends of mine with C8s have tested this with the same conclusion. In one case the dealer ordered him a new NAV SD card, and in the other the dealer wanted to replace the SD Reader in the center console.

Neither of these will fix the problem and this idea of re-seating the SD card is totally ridiculous. It just give the dealers a quick exit from having to deal with this problem.
    Last edited by zo6devilcar; 02-04-2021, 03:47 PM. Reason: New information based on my testing

Leave a comment:

• Murray20c8
    replied
    Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

Looks to me like it might just be a mini USB-A flash drive. Probably music files.
    Ya, looks like the small thumb drive many of us have been buying.
    Canadian version

Leave a comment:

• 16falcon
    replied
    Originally posted by GPFboyJS View Post
    C84me, In the photo you published, what is in the USB A slot? Looks like a dongle, to what?
    Looks to me like it might just be a mini USB-A flash drive. Probably music files.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Chapman
    replied
    Thanks for the pictures guys. Now we can all be on the same page.

Leave a comment:

• GPFboyJS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt-C8 View Post

Actually, the issue I had was exactly the same but the cause was the NAV SD card in the center console was loose. When pushing the SD card all the way in, the warning went away and NAV worked again. I can only think I accidentally hit it when plugging in other cables. Turning the car on or off (cold or hot) did not fix the issue for me. We had the GM guys on it for a good hour and I fixed it by accident... that's why I originally posted this because I'm sure many will encounter this issue and be scratching their heads on how to fix...
    Could not see where I had hit mine either, but I just removed the card and then re-inserted it and has been fine ever since.

C84me, In the photo you published, what is in the USB A slot? Looks like a dongle, to what?

Leave a comment:

• Matt-C8
    replied
    Originally posted by C84me View Post
    Same issue when staring the car cold
    Click image for larger version

Name:	02A456C7-A205-4A45-942E-D809648D27F7.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	214441

Nav card had not been moved. Switch car off for 5 mins, then started it agin and all was good. Likely boot sequence code for the IVI.

Name:	F541C9EB-AE45-424E-A5AB-AE0FC5C9329F.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	214442
    Actually, the issue I had was exactly the same but the cause was the NAV SD card in the center console was loose. When pushing the SD card all the way in, the warning went away and NAV worked again. I can only think I accidentally hit it when plugging in other cables. Turning the car on or off (cold or hot) did not fix the issue for me. We had the GM guys on it for a good hour and I fixed it by accident... that's why I originally posted this because I'm sure many will encounter this issue and be scratching their heads on how to fix...

Leave a comment:

• Boomer
    replied
    C84me Best photo yet of the area in the console where the NAV SD card is inserted. Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=214442&d=1607177834&type=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	214452

Leave a comment:

• C84me
    replied
    Same issue when staring the car cold

Name:	02A456C7-A205-4A45-942E-D809648D27F7.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	214441

Nav card had not been moved. Switch car off for 5 mins, then started it agin and all was good. Likely boot sequence code for the IVI.

Name:	F541C9EB-AE45-424E-A5AB-AE0FC5C9329F.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	214442

Leave a comment:

• Panic Button
    replied
    Originally posted by carbuff
    Actually the PDR only needs to be stopped before card is retrieved, not the car turned off.
    Thanks, that's good to know.

Cheers, PB

Leave a comment:

• Panic Button
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Chapman View Post
    Can someone post a picture of where the NAV SD card is inserted in the center console? I could not find this in the Owner's Manual. Thanks
    I found this online, hope it helps. The SD card slot is above the USB ports.

Cheers, PB

Name:	Center Console Rear.png
Views:	410
Size:	583.2 KB
ID:	212977

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X