Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

Do I NEED 2LT (rear view camera, blind spot and anti-theft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it humorous how some can't imagine possibly owning a corvette without a 2LT/3LT interior, camera mirrors, "blind spot" flasher, etc. but see no real need for Z51....

I am the polar opposite! Keep your upgraded trim, electronic nannies, more speaker stereo and give me those adjustable coil-overs, upgraded brakes, stickier tires, additional cooling, upgraded limited slip and performance exhaust!

1LT with Z51? Yes please!
    Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
    Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by capevettes View Post

Been driving this dinosaur with drum brakes for 40 years. Are disc brakes better? Yes. Does it need them to be driven safely? No.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_123348.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	211021
      I have 3 friends with 3LT's. I have driven 2 of them. I find the rear view mirror camera distracting and weird,. 2 of my friends shut it off. So, if you like it, you like it and I can respect that. I expressed my opinion and it is no more or less valid than anyone else's on either side of it. Always hard to get a consensus, was my point, but lots of good information on both sides.
      I agree with you on the rear view camera to an extent. Given my glasses situation it's blurry unless I tilt my head way up. However the field of view is awesome so I just adapted and now use it as a blurry mirror. You can still see all the traffic and react accordingly so its a plus.

However, drum brakes? Really? I was using this as an example so ridiculous that no one could argue with it. Hyperbole.

I get it if you're trailering it to a car show or are driving 1 mile down the road but if you live anywhere there are hills, much less mountains, forget about it!

Back in the '80s I was driving an Audi with drum rear brakes and disc fronts. So it already had a big leg up over 4 drums. We were in the Swiss alps and going downhill they faded.

When I say faded I don't mean the pedal travel increased a little, I mean the brake pedal was pushed to the floor and the stopping effect was negligible. Exciting moments for sure but most near death experiences are. Not air in the lines BTW, as the front discs got so hot from doing all the work after the drums had faded to nothing that they cracked in multiple areas!

Drum brakes are not safe. They are NOT capable of being driven safely in all conditions. That's why they aren't made today. They are dangerous in the rain and lethal in the mountains.

So let's say you live in flat Florida and drive 1.3 miles to the Cars and Coffee 4 times a year, but never in the rain because you drive a classic. And rain melts Corvettes.

In that case I can totally appreciate your point of view that disc brakes aren't necessary just like someone who's never experienced the 2LT upgrades would say they aren't necessary/useful.

I respect your right to your own opinion, but it's wrong.

And just because you haven't had an accident in 40, 60 or 105 years of driving doesn't mean one is not just around the corner waiting for you. It just means you've been lucky so far.

My recommendation to Top Off Action is get the 2LT. It makes a great car better. And safer.

Comment

Denizen, Trust me I wasn't suggesting drum brakes are superior/preferable to discs. Love the new technology. I have, however, driven the 61 almost 200,000 miles in 40 years in all kinds of weather, including snow here in the Northeast. Zero accidents and never felt unsafe. Guess I'm a lucky guy.
        I also respect your opinion and would never tell you that you are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post
          I find it humorous how some can't imagine possibly owning a corvette without a 2LT/3LT interior, camera mirrors, "blind spot" flasher, etc. but see no real need for Z51....

I am the polar opposite! Keep your upgraded trim, electronic nannies, more speaker stereo and give me those adjustable coil-overs, upgraded brakes, stickier tires, additional cooling, upgraded limited slip and performance exhaust!

It all depends on your use case, there are no right or wrong answers.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2425.PNG
Views:	203
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	211744
            Originally posted by capevettes View Post
            Ok, it sounds like those that have it need it and those that don't, dont need it. This should help those who are ordering cars
            So true ....
            A thought if I might ...

Comment

Having had other mid engine cars, the Rearview Mirror camera is nice. I do not use it all the time, but the times I do want it, it is great to have. Mid engine cars all have terrible blind spots, that is why you have side mirrors to adjust to limit those blind spots, however I have had my fair share of scares missing someone that snuck up in my blind spot when I was not looking around me. Even convertibles have blind spots when the top is down unless the convertible does not have a buttress behind the headrest. If you cannot stomach the additional funds for the features, then don't. I can say that if you can afford the option, then it does make 1 or 2 less hassle(s) to worry about in the car.
              '20 C8, Ceramic Matrix Gray, Z51, 3LT, E60, FE4, FA5, VST

Comment

And I find it humorous that people really think they'll get any actual benefit out of the Z51 package on the street. The limits of the base car are so high that if you're actually approaching them on the street you don't belong on the street. Oh, and the adjustable coil-overs and NPP exhaust are available on the base car. But neither will make your car any faster on the street.
                Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                  The limits of the base car are so high that if you're actually approaching them on the street you don't belong on the street.
                  It's not just about 'limits'. Feel, response, turn-in, etc. are all altered with different spring rates, shock tuning and ride height. Not always 'faster', but more connected and more feel. And a more sophisticated limited slip and tighter gear ratio will absolutely be noticeable during the kinds of drives I go on.

And I might not 'belong' on the street when doing some of our canyon runs, but that's a different conversation...

Oh, and the adjustable coil-overs...are available on the base car.
                  Negative. I don't believe non-Z51 Mag ride (FE2, now available in 2021) gives you the same suspension as a Z51 with FE4 or ride height adjustability and there is absolutely no way to add FE3 (sport springs, damping rates, ride height adjustability) without Z51.

I'm very happy that I can build my C8 the way I want, not how you would think best, and I'm sure the opposite is also true.
                  Last edited by pfbz; 11-27-2020, 05:13 PM.
                  Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
                  Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by Gunz View Post
                    Combining the camera mirror with the side mirrors allows me to completely eliminate blind spots. The side traffic alert and rear cross traffic alert are also “must have” safety features. Get the 2LT!
                    If your mirrors are set correctly, you will have no blind spots. Mid-engine cars have always had limited rear vision, this car is better than most, and you certainly do not need cameras to help you see what is behind you.
                    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

And I find it humorous that people really think they'll get any actual benefit out of the Z51 package on the street. The limits of the base car are so high that if you're actually approaching them on the street you don't belong on the street. Oh, and the adjustable coil-overs and NPP exhaust are available on the base car. But neither will make your car any faster on the street.
                      I don't see a lot of benefit on getting the Z51 package but I'm getting it. Don't ever plan to track the car and will just use it as my daily driver . At age 76 it will be my last fun car and when I depart my kid can sell it. There was an old joke where a guy hires a hooker and when they are up in the room he removes his pants. The hooker laughs and said who are you going to please with that little thing. The guy said "ME"
                      That's what my Z51 package is . Oh my car arrived at the dealer yesterday. The beginning is near.

Comment

And I find it humorous that people really think they'll get any actual benefit out of the Z51 package on the street.
                        I disagree - it's worth 12 street-cred points at cars 'n' coffee. As you cruise by, an onlooker will look over at your car and say 'oh...that C8 has the Z51 package', and you'll acknowledge it with a nod and the tip of your hat. They feel good, you feel good - everyone's a winner.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^

That made me smile
                          Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

It's not just about 'limits'. Feel, response, turn-in, etc. are all altered with different spring rates, shock tuning and ride height. Not always 'faster', but more connected and more feel. And a more sophisticated limited slip and tighter gear ratio will absolutely be noticeable during the kinds of drives I go on.

And I might not 'belong' on the street when doing some of our canyon runs, but that's a different conversation...

Negative. I don't believe non-Z51 Mag ride (FE2, now available in 2021) gives you the same suspension as a Z51 with FE4 or ride height adjustability and there is absolutely no way to add FE3 (sport springs, damping rates, ride height adjustability) without Z51.

I'm very happy that I can build my C8 the way I want, not how you would think best, and I'm sure the opposite is also true.
                            FE2 absolutely includes ride height adjustment. And no, it's not the same suspension as FE4, but it does include shock adjustability, which you said is only available on Z51.
                            Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

And I find it humorous that people really think they'll get any actual benefit out of the Z51 package on the street. The limits of the base car are so high that if you're actually approaching them on the street you don't belong on the street.
                              That's exactly how I feel about Z06. Oh, yeah, 500 HP base car isn't enough for the "I'll just wait for the Z06" crowd that never tracks the car. Since only 1% could ever extract a high percentage of the capability of the standard car. Bragging rights and that's about it.

Comment

Everyday on the street I feel the benefit of the stickier tires that come with the Z51 package.

I stopped just short of hitting a suicidal deer the other day after a 1G plus longitudinal deceleration that activated the ABS system.

With All-Seasons my braking distance would have been longer, whether 3 feet or 10 we'll never know, but even another 6 inches would have been a venison collision.

Hopefully I don't fall under your edict of not belonging on the street because I approached, in fact used all of, my car's limits?

Perhaps the larger brakes generated a fraction more initial bite? The Z51 aero package front and rear generated a few pounds of down force that pressed those tires into the asphalt thus shortening the distance more? The superior magride suspension kept the tires in contact with the road better as well?

Laughter vs tears.

We should not discount the safety benefits of high performance cars, nor the additional benefits of higher performance C8s, like the Z51.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X