Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast # 41: News & Headlines

Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com connect to bring you up to date on the latest news in the world of Corvette! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...ry-2021-epbab4  Here are just a few of the topics discussed in this podcast:
1.  GM Vice President, Steve Hill, says most C8 buyers are new to the Corvette Brand and wealthier than C7 customers.
2.  The high wing spoiler for C8 is available again on Chevrolet.com
3.  The first 1967 L88 sells for $2.5m at the Mecum Auction/Kissimmee
4  Laura Wontrop Klauser is named as Sports Car Racing Program Manager
5. The 2021 race season begins for Corvette Racing at Daytona with new lineup
6. New C8.R driver, Nick Tandy, says the C8 is more stable than the Porsche 911 RSR
7.  A man wins Corvette in the Georgia Lottery, but can’t get one from a local dealer
8.  A 2019 C7 ZR1 run the quarter mile in 9.592 seconds!
9.  Lingenfelter introduces a lowering kit for C8
2 of 3 < >

We have started a monthly PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST WITH PRIZE MONEY!

3 of 3 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Do I NEED 2LT (rear view camera, blind spot and anti-theft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In anticipation of saving $7k+ on the 1LT vs 2LT battle, i got one of these for my current car. I hardwired it and all that and it works flawlessly! it doubles up as a mirror and dashcam so i don't need the PDR dashcam nor the rearview camera. I have to say it works VERY well. Night camera visibility is not the best in the rear but i can't imagine it's much better with GMs system. The fronts are AMAZING all the time. YMMV.

My only issue is wiring in the C8 but i'm sure if i don't figure it out, someone will.

P.S. i don't have the C8, just finding solutions that save me money.
    Last edited by oooseun; 11-23-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
      1: How good is the rearview camera driving in rain (my back-up camera on my Ford pick-up is not usable when I have been driving in the rain for 5 minutes.
      I was quite impressed with the camera in the rain. Worked great and everything looked a little brighter. I took this while it was raining.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200831_161759.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	210721

Comment

"Need" 2LT for rear view mirror and blind spot alerts? Lol...

I personally hate blind spot alerts, and if you adjust your mirrors correctly, the rear view will be fine. You get a backup camera on the 1LT even without the rear view camera, and the rear mirror camera on the convertible on all versions, including 1LT when the top is up, and analog mirror on all versions when the top is down. So will folks say they absolutely wouldn't drive a1/2/3LT convertible with the top down??

As for the enhanced anti-theft, it's an interior motion sensor and tilt sensor. NONE of the alarm/theft protection systems are going to stop a pro from stealing your car. I have interior motion sensors on some of my other cars and they are kind of silly... If you park, leave the windows open, and something valuable on the seat, the alarm will go off and tell you someone just walked off with your valuables....

Or you could, you know, roll up the windows or don't leave something of value within reach?
        Upcoming: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, Status 4300
        Current: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by Prefurbia View Post
          I wouldn't want to resell the ILT as I think without the cameras you have an incredibly limited market. ... I wouldn't touch a 1LT, yes you save a little $$$, but when you trade it in or resell, it wont be so easy I think, and I wouldn't drive one without the nannies.
          I didn't consider buying a 1LT, but I disagree about it being hard to resell. There are buyers looking to get into the car at the best price who will chose a 1LT. The 2LT adds a lot of money that sellers want to recoup, so the 1LT already has an advantage in resale for buyers looking to get a C8 at a low price. Additionally, as the car ages, some buyers don't know all the option features and tend to shop more on paint color, condition, and miles.

a 1LT with Z51 is going to be a popular with buyers looking for a weekend track car at a good price.
          Status 3800. 2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Available for Sale - PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by EsophagusCancer2008

Cameras "on the outside"... also worthless. I have about ten cameras on the front of my house/property alone. Provided very good videos of person breaking into cars. Nothing was ever done about it. So, I am soured on a lot of things surrounding such things as well.
            I had a clear internal video of the perp who broke into my car and the cops did nothing either. Anti-theft would have made 0 difference.

Comment

UPDATE: a couple of days after posting this new topic, I almost had an accident. Somebody doing a hazardous overtake (overtaking from the right lane and not via the left lane). The person ended right up in my blind spot on the right while I was JUST about to change lane to the right. That made one point very real: you may control how you drive (although nobody makes zero mistakes) but you cannot control how other people drive. 2LT for me, thank you v much
              Placed order for 3LT, Rapid Blue, two-tone blue interior & splash guards. ETA Late 2021

Comment

Originally posted by capevettes View Post
                Ok, it sounds like those that have it need it and those that don't, dont need it. This should help those who are ordering cars
                I agree with your conclusion but differ with the "rolling eyes" valuation.

Think of it as the equivalent of someone who has an older car with drum brakes saying they get by just fine with them. They've been driving for 50 years and have never had an accident so disc brakes are not needed. Save your money and just get the cheap option.

If you've never tried a rear view camera mirror and are still alive then clearly, in your mind, they aren't useful.

I didn't think I would ever use the rear cross traffic alert feature but last week in a parking lot it prevented me from backing out into a car crossing by. My opinion of it's usefulness has changed because I've witnessed it personally.

So, yes, everyone with a 1LT will say it's not necessary and everyone with a 2LT will say the opposite.

But if you are discussing whether a personal computer is necessary or useful would you place the same weight on the opinion of someone who has never used one as you would the person who has? Or a smart phone versus a flip phone? The Amish still think a horse and buggy are all you need whereas I'm more of an internal combustion engine kind of guy.

You don't know what you're missing until you try it.

And I don't mean on a race track like someone else on here claimed. In the real world where you are actually looking in the rear view mirror!

Comment

Wife will be Driving ... So YES, WE NEED IT
                  Deposit w/Criswell - June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone,Sky Cool Grey w/Front Lift, Mag Ride & R8C Delivery

Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

I remember once Driving my Wife's BMW 5 Series and the Windsheeld Wipers came on when it started raining, really nice, but not a requirement.

In addition, I've long since forgotton the time when I've turned my Headlights on.

We're all starting to become pampered with technology, and I have no complaints.
                    Deposit w/Criswell - June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone,Sky Cool Grey w/Front Lift, Mag Ride & R8C Delivery

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post

I agree with your conclusion but differ with the "rolling eyes" valuation.

Think of it as the equivalent of someone who has an older car with drum brakes saying they get by just fine with them. They've been driving for 50 years and have never had an accident so disc brakes are not needed. Save your money and just get the cheap option.

If you've never tried a rear view camera mirror and are still alive then clearly, in your mind, they aren't useful.

I didn't think I would ever use the rear cross traffic alert feature but last week in a parking lot it prevented me from backing out into a car crossing by. My opinion of it's usefulness has changed because I've witnessed it personally.

So, yes, everyone with a 1LT will say it's not necessary and everyone with a 2LT will say the opposite.

But if you are discussing whether a personal computer is necessary or useful would you place the same weight on the opinion of someone who has never used one as you would the person who has? Or a smart phone versus a flip phone? The Amish still think a horse and buggy are all you need whereas I'm more of an internal combustion engine kind of guy.

You don't know what you're missing until you try it.

And I don't mean on a race track like someone else on here claimed. In the real world where you are actually looking in the rear view mirror!
                      Been driving this dinosaur with drum brakes for 40 years. Are disc brakes better? Yes. Does it need them to be driven safely? No.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_123348.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	211021
                      I have 3 friends with 3LT's. I have driven 2 of them. I find the rear view mirror camera distracting and weird,. 2 of my friends shut it off. So, if you like it, you like it and I can respect that. I expressed my opinion and it is no more or less valid than anyone else's on either side of it. Always hard to get a consensus, was my point, but lots of good information on both sides.

Comment

Been driving this dinosaur with drum brakes for 40 years. Are disc brakes better? Yes. Does it need them to be driven safely? No.

I have 3 friends with 3LT's. I have driven 2 of them. I find the rear view mirror camera distracting and weird,. 2 of my friends shut it off. So, if you like it, you like it and I can respect that. I expressed my opinion and it is no more or less valid than anyone else's on either side of it. Always hard to get a consensus, was my point, but lots of good information on both sides.
                        Looks like Visablity out the rear is great ...

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Comment

Since there were a couple of comments about adding blind spot mirrors, I thought I'd post a link to this article that showed up on my Google Feed today.

Best Blind-Spot Mirrors

Prevent other vehicles from sneaking up on you.
                          https://www.truecar.com/blog/best-blind-spot-mirrors/

Note that I'm not endorsing anything in the article. In fact, I didn't even read it. But if you're considering adding these kinds of mirrors, it might be worth a read.
                          Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Awaiting allocation: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I agree, nice to have . But not a must have.
                            suprised they didn’t put built in blind spot mirrors on the 1lt
                            most cars have that now as standard.

Comment

Interesting discussion. Camera is difficult to get use to however the blindspots are real and
                              I would order them again in a heartbeat.

Comment

LOVE the 'HTC'! Does it automatically fold into the trunk?

Upcoming: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, Status 4300
                                Current: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X