Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

Do I NEED 2LT (rear view camera, blind spot and anti-theft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top off action. Just order yourself a retractable hardtop convertible c8 1LT for 67 grand plus whatever else you might like and you will get the benefit of the power top and rearview camera that comes standard in the convertible.

problem solved,

as an owner of a 1lT z51 fe4 targa i dont miss the rearview camera one bit but I tend to lean towards performance options and leave the luxury items for others to enjoy.

one other benefit of the Hard top convertible is during the winter months etc ...you can just lower the vertical rear window with the roof still up.

thats an awesome feature of the retractable hardtop.

so for what its worth...considering your forum ID is Top Off Action...and your quest for the rear view camera ..just order up a 1LT hardtop convertible as the camera comes standard...

i cant help you with the side monitoring safety features...for that added luxury...you would need to get a 2 or 3 LT interior.

i dont care for those devices myself so my opinion which is of course biased is dont bother with it...

sometimes there is so much manufacturers offer...do we really need each and every little item...

will we even appreciate 6 months from the time we take ownership?

some wonderful members will say get everything...some will say get nothing ...I suggest ask yourself whats important to you and prioritize and purchase whatever you think is important.

have fun..good luck and the cars a blast...im at 8 weeks and 2100 miles to date. 4 th new corvette in 22 years...over a quarter of a million miles in them.

just great sports cars.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
      I usually use my side mirrors to back up so I set them up so I can just see my sides of the car . With my Lexus and Jag the side mirrors would move to a set position when you put it in reverse. That was a nice feature as I would set that in memory. Never had a problem with other cars then again I have only been driving for 60 years so maybe I need more practice.
      Not meaning to single you out Jagtoes. Whatever works for you is great. But I've seen many drivers of 60 years still not know how to adjust their mirrors or drive properly at all!
      My mother being one of them. lol. If she was turning left in 3.5 hours she would get in the left lane and stay there. No amount of persuading would change her mind.
      I've driven for almost 60 years and I'm open to being taught new things, but some people just won't listen. Hopefully we can teach some along the way.
      Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
      2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
      Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
      3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

I've had my 1LT almost a month now and just hit 1000 miles. No issues with visibility (I did add blindspot mirrors upon delivery)!! Love the car much more than expected!!

Comment

After putting in about 5,000 miles behind the wheel this summer, I wouldn't drive one without the rearview camera, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia384 View Post
            If I go with HTC and Z51 the wife has already made it known that its going cost me in the future with home upgrades she wants. 🤔
            I incurred a similar cost when I bought my C6.

2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

I have driven both, my car is a 1LT and has 2,000 miles on it, the car I drove at Spring Mountain had the rear view camera. Since I have seat time in both, I can say without question I don't have any need for the camera. The visibility in my 1LT car is just fine. 2LT was a complete waste of $ for me.

Comment

It is a definite must if you want to be safe. You can't turn your head around and see out the back of this thing.

Is it worth the money? The price is a bit steep for 2Lt, but very much worth it. One minor wreck without the camera mirror and you will be paying more than it would have cost to get it. To me the other features are just bonus. I love the rear camera. the side blind zone alerts are a waste, because they come on too late at warn you.when a car comes up behind you.
                2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
                Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

Comment

Ok, it sounds like those that have it need it and those that don't, dont need it. This should help those who are ordering cars

Comment

Combining the camera mirror with the side mirrors allows me to completely eliminate blind spots. The side traffic alert and rear cross traffic alert are also “must have” safety features. Get the 2LT!

Comment

I must be missing something, I have driven for 45 years with full situational awareness and never had a problem. If I see a blue pickup truck closing on me and it's in the fast lane, when I don't see it for a split second after it has passed through the side view mirror, I make the assumption it is now at drivers rear wheel and not that the hand of God picked it up and carried it away. Honestly, you're driving 3,500+ pounds of machine traveling over 88 feet per second (most times), stay in the game and pay attention to what you're doing. It also helps if you simply take the time to adjust the mirrors they provided. When correctly adjusted there is no blind spot. It's why the passenger stalk is a different length than the drivers side, yes they put that much effort into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil1098 View Post
                        I must be missing something, I have driven for 45 years with full situational awareness and never had a problem. If I see a blue pickup truck closing on me and it's in the fast lane, when I don't see it for a split second after it has passed through the side view mirror, I make the assumption it is now at drivers rear wheel and not that the hand of God picked it up and carried it away. Honestly, you're driving 3,500+ pounds of machine traveling over 88 feet per second (most times), stay in the game and pay attention to what you're doing. It also helps if you simply take the time to adjust the mirrors they provided. When correctly adjusted there is no blind spot. It's why the passenger stalk is a different length than the drivers side, yes they put that much effort into it.
                        While I agree with you to a large extent, cars in your blind spot don't always come from far enough back to see them approaching. A car might change lanes right into your blind spot while you're looking ahead or to the other side, for example. But we have necks that allow our heads to swivel for a reason. I got in the habit as a teenager to do a quick over the shoulder glance before changing lanes to the left. Still do that even in cars that have blind spot monitors and other safety gear. But if you're backing out of parking space with SUVs on both sides, it's near impossible to see what's coming down the parking lane, and the rear cross traffic sensors can be a real help.

I think these features add another level of safety. None of us are perfect, and we all miss things from time to time. I like the 2LT for a number of reasons. I'm not sure I'd choose it just for the safety features, but all the various pieces together make it worthwhile for me. (I'd be happy to save money and not get the PDR, though.)
                        Last edited by meyerweb; 11-23-2020, 09:38 AM.
                        Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Blind spot monitoring and the rearview camera greatly improve situational awareness and increase driver safety. I considered the former a requirement for a new car sold in the year 2020 and moving forward I consider the latter to be a requirement.

Comment

Good that we can all agree to disagree. If done respectfully it should really help those who have not made their final choices to sort out what they think is best for them.
                            '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                            '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                            '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
                            '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

I wouldn't want to resell the ILT as I think without the cameras you have an incredibly limited market. My 2020 Buick had similar electronic mirrors so I got used to it, and I drive it in rain and snow so they do need cleaning, but the C8 is a fair weather car, so that's no issue for me. I wouldn't touch a 1LT, yes you save a little $$$, but when you trade it in or resell, it wont be so easy I think, and I wouldn't drive one without the nannies.

Comment

I struggled with this decision myself, for quite a long time. I think it depends on your driving style and comfort level, as well as where you live and drive. I would be fine with a 1LT except for my driveway, which backs out onto a busy road up from a curve, where there are hedges blocking visibility at points. I have heard the cross path detection warning chime in my Jetta and my Alfa Romeo more times than I can count. I have managed with my other cars that lack the feature, but given the expense of the C8 as well as the limited visibility it make it prudent to get at least the 2LT. Since I committed to the more expensive car I am sure I will come to appreciate the other features too.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X