MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Special Tadge Juechter On Corvette Today Podcast Now

Steve Garrett has the honor of talking to Corvette's Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter on CORVETTE TODAY!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...60a01_h0PwqXjw

Tadge talks about how he started working at GM, what his first job was for the company, his path to success and how he attained his current position. Then Steve and Tadge trace his time with the C4, C5 and C6.  You'll learn how the C7 almost became the mid-engine Corvette!  Tadge talks about how the true mid-engine car we know today was being developed while the C7 was coming to market! Next Tadge takes a deep dive into the development and product launch of the current C8 Corvette. He talks about how the Corvette team attained the buy-in for GM executives to build the car, the research and architecture of the C8 and the future of this mid-engine marvel.

Tell your friends, stop what you're doing right now and check out this outstanding episode of CORVETTE TODAY with Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett (listen to all CORVETTE TODAY podcasts)

CorvetteToday.ck.page (sign up for email updates here)
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Do I NEED 2LT (rear view camera, blind spot and anti-theft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cross traffic warning went off today when backing out of a parking spot. Sound and an arrow pointing the direction the other vehicle was coming from. I braked and watched the car go by in the mirror. It was a bit tight and the cross traffic warning was the first I became aware of the approaching car.

I have 2lt in my C8 like I did with my C7. There's no aspect of 2lt I wouldn't want.

Comment

It is like:
      Do I need a winter coat. Depends.
      Do I need winter tires. Florida? Canada?
      Do I need a belt. Some do not. Huh?
      Do I need a lock on my front door? Where is the house and what's in it?
      Insurance? On what?
      Last edited by SheepDog; 11-21-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
        I don’t need the stuff in the 2LT, but possibly the the rearview camera, blind spot detectors and extra anti-theft.
        1: How good is the rearview camera driving in rain (my back-up camera on my Ford pick-up is not usable when I have been driving in the rain for 5 minutes.
        2: Are the blind spots really that awful that you can’t drive safely using the side mirrors and the standard rear view camera? Is the visibility worse than a Porsche 911?? Anyone?
        3: What is the “additional anti-theft features”? Can this lower the insurance cost??
        I think how important the improved view from the camera / mirror depends somewhat on where you drive. If the C8 is a weekend toy, taken out for drives in the country on nice days, the camera is probably much less important than if it's a daily driver, and use in heavier urban / suburban traffic and on busy highways.

Originally posted by Cobia384 View Post
        Has anyone compared the rear visibility of the coupe to the HTC? I tried to the other day without actually sitting in the car and it seemed the HTC might have the edge. Anyone fortunate enough to sit in both?
        This video might provide some useful information:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...non-z51-review
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post

Like any mid engine car, visibility out the back is limited, but if your mirrors are adjusted correctly, you can see everything behind you and in your blind spots. I made a video demonstrating.

https://youtu.be/kpkVY5CiZVA
          Right you are WillRockwell! As for the view out the rear glass via the inside mirror, honestly the view out of my previous Terrain and now Jeep Cherokee, is terribly restricted as well. The crossover SUV's have a pretty small rear glass to begin with, and that view is often blocked out smaller by the fact that the headrests on the rear seats narrow the view angle even more. I have the mirrors on all my cars adjusted the way you have demonstrated in the video. For those that get benefit of a drawing of how this works, here's a graphic offered by another form member (wish I could remember who, and give him credit) All your cars mirrors should be adjusted this way folks. Might take a bit to get used to, but it's really helpful!

Comment

My 1LT is fine just need to adjust the side mirrors correctly to see the blind spot an no problems.

Comment

Could be worse, could be a Countach

https://youtu.be/vQ_JQOUEtQM
              Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

I don't have my C8 yet, but have driven a couple. Anybody that has been in an accident, knows that they can be a real hassle. IMO, if the extra camera, cross traffic alert and park assist helps prevent just one accident, then I think that those options have paid for themselves.

Comment

I love the alerts when backing up, especially in super market parking lots. Huge benefit for me.
                  Torch Red Z51, 3LT, Lift, Transparent Top, Black Trident, Red/Black 2 Tone-seats, Mag, Carbon Flash wing and mirrors.

Comment

WillRockwell
                    your video was spot on.

Ever since I passed my Driver License road test for the privilege of legally driving a car, ive always remembered what my Pop taught me, move your drivers side mirror out far left, and passenger side mirror far right so I can see other cars but not mine.

It requires you to move your upper torso whenever you look in the mirror, but so what.

This is the proper way anyways to adjust & look through your car mirrors.
                    "07/01/20 Placed deposit on 2021 C8 Coupe: 08/01/20 Preliminary order placed in GM Workbench: 2LT: G9F: FE2: NPP: VST: VDK: R8C"

Comment

I usually use my side mirrors to back up so I set them up so I can just see my sides of the car . With my Lexus and Jag the side mirrors would move to a set position when you put it in reverse. That was a nice feature as I would set that in memory. Never had a problem with other cars then again I have only been driving for 60 years so maybe I need more practice.

Comment

personal preference but if I'm spending the money on a car that I have to wait a year for, I am definitely going to load it up... I would hate to wait for a year and then regret not ordering something... Definitely many blind spots when in reverse. Plus having nav, wireless charger, performance data recorder, better radio, heated and vent seats, etc. all worth it to me. Again its a personal decision. Plus If your financing it, its probably like a $100/mo diff anyways...
                        Convertible Black Z51 - tan interior - LT3, high spoiler wing, 3-spoke black wheels, red seat belts

Comment

for the rearview camera alone, well worth the money
                          First time Corvette owner, GJI - Shadow Gray, 3LT, HU3 - Morello Red, E60 - Front Lift, EYK - Chrome Badge, Q8P - silver wheels. Deposit on 07-23-2019, 3000 mid-January with TPW of 03-30-2020. 3400 on 07-21-2020 with TPW of 07-27-2020, took delivery 08-14-2020

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

I think how important the improved view from the camera / mirror depends somewhat on where you drive. If the C8 is a weekend toy, taken out for drives in the country on nice days, the camera is probably much less important than if it's a daily driver, and use in heavier urban / suburban traffic and on busy highways.

This video might provide some useful information:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...non-z51-review
                            Thanks, I saw that video but will probably watch it a few more times because Im stuck at the decision to go with HTC and eliminate the Z51 or go with the coupe and get the Z51. If I go with HTC and Z51 the wife has already made it known that its going cost me in the future with home upgrades she wants. 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-C8 View Post
                              personal preference but if I'm spending the money on a car that I have to wait a year for, I am definitely going to load it up... I would hate to wait for a year and then regret not ordering something... Definitely many blind spots when in reverse. Plus having nav, wireless charger, performance data recorder, better radio, heated and vent seats, etc. all worth it to me. Again its a personal decision. Plus If your financing it, its probably like a $100/mo diff anyways...
                              You know the 1lt has a reverse camera and sensors?
                              Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia384 View Post

Thanks, I saw that video but will probably watch it a few more times because Im stuck at the decision to go with HTC and eliminate the Z51 or go with the coupe and get the Z51. If I go with HTC and Z51 the wife has already made it known that its going cost me in the future with home upgrades she wants. 🤔
                                I decided the convertible top is something I'll use all the time. The extra performance of the Z51 won't really make a difference on the street, and at most I'd do HPDEs a couple of times a year. So for me the HTC is something I'll get far more enjoyment out of. YMMV

OTOH, home upgrades AND a Z51 convertible wouldn't be all bad.
                                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X