MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Tremec TR-9007 DCT For The C8? C7’s Ending & C8’s Beginnings: Possible Options. ME’s Infotainment System Capabilities and Components

2 of 2 < >

Wish To Change Your Forum Name? Bob Lutz on C8 vs C7 Pricing; ME’s LT2 Engine Technology Enhancments!

It is easy to change your forum name. Retain your post count. Please PM “John.”
Chazcron’s Renders of Today:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...w-gif-and-ones
C8 Just A Little More: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...on-for-version
See more
See less

ME’s Power Door Patent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniml View Post
    Really? Why? Just more to break or more for an incompetent mechanic to mess up.
    Originally posted by Heartbeat View Post
    I'd just as soon that they'd spend the extra time and development capital on something that would really blow my socks off, like vertical/ Lambo doors...
    I understand your thoughts. My wife however, has such an arthritic right elbow, that getting out of the Corvette (and on our DD) on certain days when it has flared up, is painful for her. We would love this feature to be a standalone option, e.g., those who wish it, choose to pay for it, and those who do not want it, do not check that specific/unique option box.
    Some many questions about the ME right now; so few concrete answers yet!

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Here is this subject covered by Motor1, with their raising a good corollary question, that of the possible interrelation between the potential C8 power swinging door option its electrical load to have it work, and the C8’s electrical system re-engineer. I am remembering back to what Fasttoys suggested about a year ago, that the ME’s option list could well echo the “Porsche model,” e.g., very lengthy/considerable choices. Is this powered swinging door adding more electrical load, along with some other, yet-unknown other electrically involved other new ME options, collectively necessitating the ME’s electrical system massive re-engineering/upgrade?

We thank Motor1 for the following related/relevant article, this the secondary issue it raises about the electrical system.

Originally posted by Motor1
      Patent Application Suggests Corvette Could Get Power Doors

PATENTS
      HomeNews
      DEC 27, 2018 at 5:42PM

Christopher Smith
      BY: CHRISTOPHER SMITH Could this be part of the alleged electrical woes with the mid-engined 'Vette?

General Motors has a new patent application for powered doors that open and close at the push of a button. That by itself isn’t extraordinary, or even new for that matter. There are two things that make this particular patent interesting, however. The powered doors would be able to adjust force to compensate for wind or gravity when parked on slopes. Also, the vehicle used to depict the doors looks a lot like the Chevrolet Corvette. The Latest Mid-Engined Corvette News:

See Mid-Engined Corvette Up Close On This Spy Video

Mid-Engined Corvette Shows Its Size In Side-By-Side Comparison

We need to give a shout out to our friends at MidEngineCorvetteForum.com for bringing this to our attention. The patent application was filed in June 2017 with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office but it was just published today, so this is fresh-and-new stuff. Among all the highbrow techno-speak that makes up such patents is the specific mention of a rotary actuator, position sensor, and a controller. Instead of having a simple motor to open and close the door, these devices would work in conjunction to sense forces acting on the door – such as strong winds – and adjust power to compensate. The system would also detect obstructions to the door.

The image GM included with the patent application clearly shows a Chevrolet Corvette, but it resembles the current C7 model. It’s possible the car’s likeness is simply a placeholder for this application; such a feature seems more fitting for a larger SUV or snazzy luxury car. It’s also possible that GM is working on this option for the mid-engined Corvette, which we know will be sold alongside the current generation for at least a little while. It fits into the recent narrative we’ve heard about the car’s launch being delayed over electrical issues, not to mention an upscale grand touring Corvette that could be offered further down the road. Trouble In Paradise:

Mid-Engined Corvette To Debut At Standalone Event Next Summer?

Mid-Engined Corvette Delayed Due To 'Major Electrical Issue'?

We initially thought Chevrolet would reveal the new C8 Corvette next month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. We then heard that New York was slated to be the mid-engined ‘Vette’s debut, but with the alleged electrical issues apparently mucking up the works, all bets are currently off as to when it will become official.
      Source: MidEngineCorvetteForum.com, U.S. Patent And Trademark Office[/Quote]

https://www.motor1.com/news/299064/p...e-power-doors/
      Last edited by John; 12-28-2018, 01:20 AM.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Maybe it is a stand alone option. Let’s say a person has serious elbow problems, a torn rotator cuff or similar.
        I would think they would purchase a vehicle which was not as difficult to enter and exit like a van with kneeling capability. If they cannot even open and close a door , lets face it how are they going to pull themselves out of the vehicle?
        Let's say a cyclist is moving toward the car at 25 mph and you push the actuator and the door opens and involves the cyclist? LAWSUIT ! Now a mechanism that would prevent the door from opening and closing on its own might be clever as we have all had wind or angle of vehicle push the door open or closed.
        Last edited by Frenzy36; 12-28-2018, 02:43 AM.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

I am looking forward to the power sun visor patent, where a iris recognition camera monitors the driver's eyes, and when the pupils contract in response to sunlight in his/her eyes, the sun visor automatically lowers.

Or better yet, the windshield darkens, like photo gray eyeglasses.

Comment

I guess it all depends on whether you want a sports car, or a luxury GT. With every possible option / feature people are talking about putting on the Corvette, this thing could weigh 4,000 pounds, at which point I'll be looking at Porsche Boxsters....
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Maybe that option is only available on the 2021+ Grand Touring version, and with GM’s lightweighting program, it weighs around 3,600 pounds on that luxury version Corvette is often used by GM as its “technological “ip of the spear” (love that expression which Skank introduced us to), and it is pioneered here as a standalone option, then later used on other GM projects.

And the Grand Sport version does not even offer such amenities, not the thicker/quieter glass, the sound deadening package, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

I would think they would purchase a vehicle which was not as difficult to enter and exit like a van with kneeling capability. If they cannot even open and close a door , lets face it how are they going to pull themselves out of the vehicle?
                Let's say a cyclist is moving toward the car at 25 mph and you push the actuator and the door opens and involves the cyclist? LAWSUIT ! Now a mechanism that would prevent the door from opening and closing on its own might be clever as we have all had wind or angle of vehicle push the door open or closed.
                Reading the additional information provided by CorvetteBlogger above, it includes a sensor to prevent collision issues, and even if it did not, how is that different from a driver or passenger opening their door by hand into a cyclist.

Comment

I think of it as an option for those who would want it and be willing to pay for it. For others, not.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Reading the additional information provided by CorvetteBlogger above, it includes a sensor to prevent collision issues, and even if it did not, how is that different from a driver or passenger opening their door by hand into a cyclist.
                    We'll see what they may have up their sleeve, I have an open mind for tech and would not be a deal breaker for myself, I simply feel most would bypass such an option as to function properly one would think that all the added sensors and mechanisms will raise the cost beyond what most would be willing to pay.
                    Rocket City Florida

Comment

When I was younger, a Sports car didn't have anything that didn't make it faster, handle better or improve braking. I am trying to come to terms with vanity mirrors, electric windows and seats in my Sports cars. I guess stereos are here to stay

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
                        Let's not get ahead of ourselves and make it more complicated than necessary..... Our Aston Martin has very simple auxiliary or supplemental assists on both driver and passenger doors. First, as with all Corvettes, the doors are VERY heavy. The Aston's doors actually tip up a bit as they open (to avoid contact with high curbs or other roadside obstructions). This further contributes to their weight and the risk of swinging down when you're half way out. Their method is a shock absorber like 'strut' that's mounted inside the door jamb in the area of the hinge. Very simple and extremely effective. It makes opening the door easier and the door stays open in any position.... not just in position one or fully open in position two. And, it stays there regardless of the angle of the car (on a steep incline) or the wind.

I happen to think it's a GREAT feature and wish all cars had something similar.

Now for part two.... It sure would be GREAT if Corvette would incorporate the 'soft' closing feature similar to that on our S63AMG. You simply gently close the door until it engages and the door gently mechanically closes itself..... no slamming!

These are the simple things you grow accustom to on $150K + automobiles. (You still think this thing is going to go out the door for $60-65K????)
                        Finally a voice of reason. I have to say that this if the problem with the C8 section on another forum, everyone jumps to conclusions and complaints as soon as a piece of information is hinted at. Why they hate it, and why they don't want it. I think its great to keep an open mind and be optimistic about the future.

I myself have had the passenger door bang against something resting against the garage wall, because it spring assists/loads from position 1 to position 2. One thing I also like about Porsche is their doors seem to be smaller/ or the bottom edge is significantly curved, so you can open the door further.

Originally posted by Maxster View Post
                        When I was younger, a Sports car didn't have anything that didn't make it faster, handle better or improve braking. I am trying to come to terms with vanity mirrors, electric windows and seats in my Sports cars. I guess stereos are here to stay
                        Probably didn't come with power brakes or A/C either. Thankfully things have changed.
                        Last edited by zishan; 12-31-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I have heard stories, none confirmed by me, of people almost losing finger tips in a soft closing door.

I like my little upgrades and luxury features as much as the next guy. But I also view the car as a sports/performance car first, and a luxury car second. All these features add weight and complexity. Within the cost envelope of a sports car, I would rather spend the money on a set of tuned headers or other exhaust enhancement that actually improves the performance and efficiency of the machine.

I guess my mental model for a mid engine Corvette is a 1968 McLaren M8A, with enough creature comforts and additions to make it street legal and enjoyable. I am able to close my C7 doors easily if I remember to do so before I fasten my seat belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                            Note 15 seems to indicate a wind gust... There's nothing worse than a wind gust slamming your door open... or shut. Apparently, the system compensates for both wind and grade-based forces acting on the door.

Yeah, I know what you're all thinking... "Just read the patent, Mobius, it's all in there..."

Wind gust is a major problem, especially places like Florida which has tropical weather which at any moment we get serious gust. Last year, I drove to a shopping center and it was very windy, when I opened the door, the gust almost took the door off and luckily I had no car next to me, the way that door opened, would have done some serious damage to the other car.
                            Personally, I don't like these vertical door, as they make the car look strange.

Comment

Whatever is offered by mclaren in the 570 is welcome to be offered by the c8 corvette...give or take a few options ...

same for ferrari and or lamborghini and porsche...

power doors although not something i would opt for at first thought would actually make my life a lot easier. My son is severely handicapped with autism and i take him everywhere in my corvette...(his favorite thing in life is to DRIVE...but i have to put him in and take him out everytime...

not sure if I d buy the power door but maybe...if it made my life easier...my problem is the kids a runner and could bolt into traffic...lol so im not sure how a power door would help other than at home..in the garage...

getting in might be less effort with an automatic door, as it is i am always opening his door for him which if you think about for23 years is enough already...

power doors it is...(kidding) but maybe if not too heavy...
                              Last edited by JB; 12-31-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

What next’s, power steering and power windows? Oh yes, we already have those.

And the indignantly, as zishan already mentioned, maybe even power brakes.

Maybe as has been rumored, the Corvette splits after year one into a bifurcated tree, the version the racier crew chooses (Grand Sport), and the version the road trippers and similar choose (Grand Tourer). Personally, I love the idea of an super extensive, standalone option list, where each person who orders their car gets to choose.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X