MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Tremec TR-9007 DCT For The C8? C7’s Ending & C8’s Beginnings: Possible Options. ME’s Infotainment System Capabilities and Components

2 of 2 < >

Wish To Change Your Forum Name? Bob Lutz on C8 vs C7 Pricing; ME’s LT2 Engine Technology Enhancments!

It is easy to change your forum name. Retain your post count. Please PM “John.”
Chazcron’s Renders of Today:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...w-gif-and-ones
C8 Just A Little More: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...on-for-version
See more
See less

ME’s Power Door Patent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME’s Power Door Patent

Might the C8 be coming with a power swinging opening door option?

Thanks to jagamajajaran, alias “supersleuth.” we have learned of this GM patent application for a power opening door, and application clearly showing a Corvette we have learned of this gym patent application for a power opening door, and application clearly showing a Corvette.

If you wish to see the entire nine page patent application, it is below in post # 10.

Thank you again jagamajajaran!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9BF9C991-6424-409E-8EE2-F572CC87A9EE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	20737

Click image for larger version  Name:	66F28C66-75C8-4FD3-83DD-300591180E27.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	578.1 KB ID:	20738

Last edited by John; 12-27-2018, 05:46 PM.
    Some many questions about the ME right now; so few concrete answers yet!

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

I hope it knows how to stop before hitting another Corvette next to it at a Corvette show.

Comment

Note 15 seems to indicate a wind gust... There's nothing worse than a wind gust slamming your door open... or shut. Apparently, the system compensates for both wind and grade-based forces acting on the door.

Yeah, I know what you're all thinking... "Just read the patent, Mobius, it's all in there..."
      Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
      "Delta t = 23"

Comment

I would rather open and close the door myself. I can only see this as causing more issues. Unless they were gull wings.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

The Corvette seems like an odd choice to debut this. Would make much more sense on luxury cars and SUVs with big, heavy doors.

This isn't new, by the way. Taxi cabs in Japan have had power opening and closing rear doors, controlled by the driver, for a couple of decades. First encountered them there about 15 years ago.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I can see how the system would work when parking on a grade... Since the C7 already has a sensor to detect the pitch of the car, the door mechanism could directly calculate (and compensate for) the force required to open the door on a steep grade (and then ensure that the door stays open).

With a wind gust it's trickier, as you'd need to actively measure the force and/or acceleration of the door (in real time) in order for the system to compensate, and prevent the door slamming open/shut...
            Current Vettes:
            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
            '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
            "Delta t = 23"

Comment

Forgive such a basic question but why is this needed? Like Frenzy36 I'm not sure I need this or want it. Help me understand?
              2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Maybe it is a stand alone option. Let’s say a person has serious elbow problems, a torn rotator cuff or similar.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Additional information thanks to jagamajajaran for finding this patent info and sharing it with MECF this morning. And thank you to CorvetteBlogger, and their also quoting GM’s patent application.

”Reading the opening paragraph, GM describes the components which make up a swinging door on a vehicle and because those components add weight to the door, the process of opening and closing the swinging doors can be assisted with electric motors:

“…Each of the housed components contributes additional mass to the door. Therefore, in order to facilitate opening and closing of a swinging side door, the doors may be equipped with a rotary actuator such as an electric door motor that powers the opening and closing functions. “

The patent application’s description goes on to detail how the actuator can determine if its windy out, or if the car is parked on a grade, or even if there are obstacles in the swing path of the door. The system can analyze and compensate for those additional forces on the door or obstacles in its path.”
                  Last edited by John; 12-27-2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Here is the complete nine page poster swinging door patent application. Looking as some of it, and realizing something from roughly 10 days ago, “OH, ANOTHER ELECTRICAL LOAD.” Again, we thank and credit jagamajajaran locating this latest patent information, and our colleagues at CorvetteBlogger for all the following detailed information.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC5C765A-5358-4C22-9156-8357FAA1A877.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	20726

Name:	944E8DE2-90DA-4197-89F6-F2793FD9BC25.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	20727

Name:	F14A910C-E67F-432A-9C73-8DBA38432B0C.jpeg
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	20728

Name:	B15FCE49-A1A8-42C8-876B-96F978A53131.jpeg
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	20729

Name:	E3435FE4-804E-4F81-BB5D-B881CC332FB8.jpeg
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	20730

Name:	CF8A8D4C-58AD-43AC-83D4-8B0643008023.jpeg
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	20731

Name:	81826A71-CE86-42B2-8912-C5B61F1A2E12.jpeg
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	20732

Name:	FF12F0A1-153D-479B-9DD3-6E03902931F6.jpeg
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	20733

Name:	6178785F-13F0-4F92-86E9-2E5436C567BB.jpeg
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	20734

Last edited by John; 12-27-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Really? Why? Just more to break or more for an incompetent mechanic to mess up.

Comment

Why? Added weight. Hope it would work in a close quarters gararge and grocery parking lots.

Comment

I'd just as soon that they'd spend the extra time and development capital on something that would really blow my socks off, like vertical/ Lambo doors...

Comment

If this patent comes to fruition on the C8. Maybe it will be standalone or package option on the base C8 and standard on the luxury GT level Vette and above, if the GT level Vette comes true as one of the models.

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and make it more complicated than necessary..... Our Aston Martin has very simple auxiliary or supplemental assists on both driver and passenger doors. First, as with all Corvettes, the doors are VERY heavy. The Aston's doors actually tip up a bit as they open (to avoid contact with high curbs or other roadside obstructions). This further contributes to their weight and the risk of swinging down when you're half way out. Their method is a shock absorber like 'strut' that's mounted inside the door jamb in the area of the hinge. Very simple and extremely effective. It makes opening the door easier and the door stays open in any position.... not just in position one or fully open in position two. And, it stays there regardless of the angle of the car (on a steep incline) or the wind.

I happen to think it's a GREAT feature and wish all cars had something similar.

Now for part two.... It sure would be GREAT if Corvette would incorporate the 'soft' closing feature similar to that on our S63AMG. You simply gently close the door until it engages and the door gently mechanically closes itself..... no slamming!

These are the simple things you grow accustom to on $150K + automobiles. (You still think this thing is going to go out the door for $60-65K????)

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X