Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today With Bloomington Gold’s Guy Larsen

On this CORVETTE TODAY podcast, Steve Garrett sits down with Bloomington Gold owner and president Guy Larsen to talk about what happens at a Bloomington Gold event.  Find out why it's so much fun to attend! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Larsen-emm7ua
You'll learn how to get your car judged and certified at Bloomington Gold, Find out what there is to do at this huge Corvette event. And, if you would like to become a judge for Bloomington Gold, you'll hear about that process too.  You don't have to have your Corvette judged at Bloomington Gold to have fun at this event.
Put this Corvette show on your calendar for 2021-find out why by listening to this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.
2 of 4 < >

Welcome To C8Grill Our New Featured Vendor

We are glad to have a wonderful new vendor @ https://c8grills.com/. If you met up with at their place, free installation. And still a secret, sssh, but they are working on another new product that I believe many of you would want coming out fairly soon. WELCOME C8GRILL!
3 of 4 < >

We have started a monthly PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST WITH PRIZE MONEY!

4 of 4 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

BGA Shutting Down For Two Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My TPW is the week of 11.23 for now. With that being a short week a two day shutdown could push me into the week of 11.30.

Comment

Hopefully the vaccine will help save the 2021 corvette. So far it looks like an off and on slow down/shut down year for the 2021.

Comment

I have no doubt that all of our cars will be built, just the same question we have faced all year...when?

Comment

The New Normal ... Wait & Hope
          Deposit w/Criswell - June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone,Sky Cool Grey w/Front Lift, Mag Ride & R8C Delivery

Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by MrBluster View Post
            I believe several of the Forum members were supposed to have their cars roll off yesterday. Sure hope that happened!!
            Nope, missed by 20 cars.
            HTC Ceramic Matrix Gray/Morello Red
            Deposit: 7/29/19; Allocation-3000: 3/12/20; TPW: 10/26/20, 10/19/20, back to 10/26/20; now 11/9/20; 3300:10/20/20; 3400:11/2/20; 3800: 11/16/20; 4150: 11/17/20; 5000: 11/19/20; 6000: 11/25.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post
              This is a good indication of how fragile the supply chain is. The 2021 C8 is in for some very difficult times. My car is scheduled for the week of 11/30.. Worker safety comes first .
              I think you mean how fragile the GM supply chain is. If they didn't insist on sole sourcing, this would not have happened. This was completely avoidable. Covid was unavoidable and I don't blame GM for delays as a result of Covid. But the supply chain issues are completely avoidable, and both of the shut downs could have been avoided.
              Deposit: 7/29/19; Allocation-3000: 3/12/20; TPW: 10/26/20, 10/19/20, back to 10/26/20; now 11/9/20; 3300:10/20/20; 3400:11/2/20; 3800: 11/16/20; 4150: 11/17/20; 5000: 11/19/20; 6000: 11/25.

Comment

Originally posted by KLZ View Post

I think you mean how fragile the GM supply chain is. If they didn't insist on sole sourcing, this would not have happened. This was completely avoidable. Covid was unavoidable and I don't blame GM for delays as a result of Covid. But the supply chain issues are completely avoidable, and both of the shut downs could have been avoided.
                It's always a Financial Decision and is never avoided
                Deposit w/Criswell - June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone,Sky Cool Grey w/Front Lift, Mag Ride & R8C Delivery

Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Still at 3000 status. Called Dealer and Corvette Concierge Monday and they believe my car will be a 20. Glad i haven’t sold my C7 Z06 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                    My TPW is the week of 11.23 for now. With that being a short week a two day shutdown could push me into the week of 11.30.
                    DavidM - same situation for our C8 Order with a dealer provided 11.23 TPW (still at Code 3300). Hopefully this latest shut-down is really limited to only two (2) production days. Our Order TPW will also likely slide to 11.30 which would then push our C8 delivery (after 4+ weeks train transport) into Jan 2021. Oh well, all we can do now is watch as this this situation unfolds. -Rick

2020 C8, 1YC07 (Coupe), 2LT Package, G8G (Arctic White), HTA (Black Leather Interior), AQ9 (GT1 Seats), Z51 (Perf Pkg), FE4 (Mag Ride), E60 (Front Lift), NPP (Perf Exhaust), Q8P (Wheels, Bright Silver), EYK (Chrome Emblems), VQK (Splash Guards).
                    Order Details: Deposit Aug 18, 2019, Event Codes (in 2020) 1100-Feb10, 3000-Mar17, 3100-Nov4, 3300-Nov5, 3400-Nov18, 3800-Nov25, 4200-Dec1, 4300-Dec3, Train to Seattle area-4 weeks, 4800-Dec29, (in 2021) 5000-Jan4, 6000-Jan5.

Comment

It's definitely not just GM. Companies all over the world are dealing with supply chain disruptions due to COVID.
                      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

It's definitely not just GM. Companies all over the world are dealing with supply chain disruptions due to COVID.
                        Absolutely. But in GM's case I think it could have been avoided, based on what I have read. Granted I am not inside GM and I don't have access to all the information. BUT, my company also produces very sophisticated equipment. We have learned not to sole source because (even in good times) your supplier could hold you hostage say for more money or reduced indemnities or any number of things and affect your ability to meet your targeted production goals. If you have more than one supplier of the same part you can shift your demand as required and make sure you always have sufficient supplies and raw materials. Of course that means that you need to ensure the quality of the goods from your multiple sources. But it is a small price to pay to avoid what GM is going through right now. They are relying on sole source and when that sole source has covid issues, GM is SOL and misses production goals. The sad thing is that GM does not communicate nor so much as apologize to their loyal customers, much less offer a discount or some other compensation for the many of us who put down deposits over a year ago, and will not get the use of the car in the model year of the car. To me that is very telling. It certainly has to affect cross over loyalty as well.

Comment

Great concept and I admire all who can double source items. But what if we are talking about unique, technical items for which there is no second source? There are 400 unique C8 suppliers, probably 50 of them who produce items for which those exact suppliers do not have competitors. GM even got into manufacturing several C8 items themselves because no one company any where in the world had the capability to make what was needed to create the C8.
                          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Do we even know the parts in question are sole sourced? I don't think we do. Maybe there are two sources, both affected by the same restrictions. Should GM have two sources for every part in two separate countries, just in case? Even if there are two sources for the part(s) in question, that doesn't mean the second supplier can suddenly double their production. It just isn't that simple. No manufacturer is going to invest in unused production capacity just in case, some day, it might be asked for.
                            Last edited by meyerweb; 11-11-2020, 03:29 PM.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

From my understanding it is very common to sole source items in the auto industry. Below is an article from 2018 that impacted me personally as I ordered a new 2019 Mercedes Benz S63 AMG and I was wondering what impact a sole sourced item made in Michigan would have on my car being manufactured in Germany. As you can see one plant/item can impact many manufacturers of autos.

May 2018
                              DETROIT -- Ford, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler, BMW and Mercedes-Beny faced production disruption at U.S. factories after an explosion and fire at a Michigan supplier factory led to a shortage crucial parts.

Ford said production of F-150 and Super Duty pickups at multiple U.S. factories will be halted this week.

Daimler's Mercedes-Benz halted SUV production at its only U.S. plant near Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The company has canceled shifts in certain areas and adjusted production hours for its employees, a Daimler spokesman said by phone Wednesday. He declined to quantify the anticipated lost vehicle output and related financial damage.

The Mercedes factory produces the GLE, GLS and GLE Coupe SUVs for global markets and the C-class sedan for sales in North America.

The parts plant affected is in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, owned by Meridian Magnesium Products of America. It supplies a crossbar beam that holds the dashboard in the Mercedes SUVs.

Ford on Monday idled F-150 production at its plant in Kansas City until May 14, temporarily laying off 3,600 workers. It will also suspend production at its Dearborn Truck Plant Wednesday night through at least the end of the week, affecting about 4,000 workers.

According to a letter shared with Dearborn Truck workers on Wednesday afternoon, officials expect the plant to resume production on Monday, May 14, although the letter cautioned that “this situation and circumstances can change."

Ford Super Duty production has been halted at Kentucky, although that plant continues to produce other vehicles and no workers have been laid off. Super Duty output will continue at Ford’s plant in Avon Lake, Ohio.

Ford executives on Wednesday declined to say how long production will be suspended, although it could be knocked out for several weeks, a person familiar with the situation told Bloomberg.

The parts plant supplies three different components for Ford vehicles: a front bolster used in the F-150, Super Duty, Expedition and Navigator; a 3rd row seat cushion pan used in the Explorer, Flex and MKT; and a liftgate inner used in the MKT.

Production of the Explorer, Flex, MKT, Expedition and Navigator is not expected to be halted, Ford said.

Meridian company produces numerous lightweight parts, such as engine cradles, front-end carriers, instrument panel crossbar beams, liftgate inner structures and radiator supports. Ford said it relies on less than one-third of the parts output produced at the Meridian plant.

Ford said the disruption would have an "adverse impact" on its financial results that will be contained to the second quarter, but the company left its earnings guidance unchanged for the full year. Hinrichs declined to provide specifics on the second quarter impact.

The shutdowns could cost Ford as much as 15,000 trucks per week, according to James Albertine, an analyst with Consumer Edge Research.

F-series pickups generate most of Ford’s profits and Morgan Stanley recently estimated the value of the franchise as greater than that of the entire company. The truck line, including F-250 and other larger models, hauls in about $40 billion in annual revenue, exceeding the annual sales of companies such as Facebook and Nike.

Other impacts

General Motors on Wednesday said it will temporarily halt production of Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full size vans at its Wentzville Assembly plant in Missouri because of a parts shortage resulting from the fire. It said the plant will continue building the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups.

GM did not identify the specific part or how long van production will be idled.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said the fire has affected output of the Chrysler Pacifica minivan in Windsor, Ontario, adding it is "adjusting production schedules as needed to minimize plant downtime (and) will make up any lost production." The specific part was not indentified.

BMW of North America on Wednesday said production of the X6 and X5 crossovers has been interrupted in Spartanburg, South Carolina, because of the parts shortage stemming from the supplier fire.

"BMW is working to develop alternative sources for the parts," the automaker said in an e-mailed statement to Automotive News. "The BMW plant in South Carolina has an inventory of parts on hand but until the supply chain stabilizes there will be some interruptions to X5 and X6 production. Production of the X3 and X4 models is not affected.”

The specific part supplied to BMW was not identified.

Getting back online

The cause of the fire has not been determined.

Meridian, in a statement released Wednesday, said the local fire marshal has been able to access the plant and the investigation continues. "We are currently following our safety protocols and working alongside state agencies and utilities to ensure that resumption of operations will be done in safe manner. Clean up and repairs are progressing," the statement said.

Meridian, in a previous statement, said it is working with its customers to move dies to its plants in Strathroy, Ontario, and the United Kingdom, Asher wrote, though the letter did not disclose the names of the customers.

Meridian is owned by Chinese supplier Wanfeng Auto Holding Group. It also provides parts to Toyota, Honda and Tesla among others, according to the websites of Meridian and Wanfeng.

Meridian makes aluminum and magnesium structural components at four plants in North America. Automakers use magnesium parts to cut weight in vehicles, and improve fuel economy.

Bloomberg, Reuters, Michael Martinez and Automotive News staff contributed to this report.

Absolutely. But in GM's case I think it could have been avoided, based on what I have read. Granted I am not inside GM and I don't have access to all the information. BUT, my company also produces very sophisticated equipment. We have learned not to sole source because (even in good times) your supplier could hold you hostage say for more money or reduced indemnities or any number of things and affect your ability to meet your targeted production goals. If you have more than one supplier of the same part you can shift your demand as required and make sure you always have sufficient supplies and raw materials. Of course that means that you need to ensure the quality of the goods from your multiple sources. But it is a small price to pay to avoid what GM is going through right now. They are relying on sole source and when that sole source has covid issues, GM is SOL and misses production goals. The sad thing is that GM does not communicate nor so much as apologize to their loyal customers, much less offer a discount or some other compensation for the many of us who put down deposits over a year ago, and will not get the use of the car in the model year of the car. To me that is very telling. It certainly has to affect cross over loyalty as well.

Comment

Coming from a manufacturing environment during my working life I can see issues regarding single source suppliers but those need to be micro managed. Also just in time deliveries make for good mfg. processes. The difference as I see it here is when you are making widgets you are counting on sales projections. With the case of the C8 GM has fixed (paid) orders for 20,181 cars so they know exactly how many parts and from what suppliers they need to build all of these cars. The supply line should be overfull with parts even if they need to provide for additional warehouse space. What is their supply strategy for 2021 when they need to build 40-50K cars.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X