MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Has anyone wired Engine Appearance lighting to tail lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone wired Engine Appearance lighting to tail lights?

There is another thread about wiring to a separate switch, but I want to have them automatically come on with the tail lights and shine on the red engine cover.
    This should be a simple link to the tail light line, no switch needed. It would have to be an additional wire for the lights to still come on when the hood is open. But I have no idea of how to do it.

I can't believe no one has a post on this already. I would think a lot of people would want to do this - a nice subtle light on the engine while you are driving down the road at night would be cool looking. I threw something out on the forum back in May, and found out that it would not void the warranty, but no one has actually commented on doing it, although they did comment on other lighting kit ideas.

It should not make visibility out of the window bad because the rear camera would bypass that problem for LT2 and 3 users.
    Last edited by WhiteHorse; 10-23-2020, 01:44 PM.
    2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
    Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

Same idea going through my head, but extra lighting under the HTC rear hatch vent.
    Probably red for additional running/braking lights.
    C8er

Comment

It is difficult to even see the engine standing next to the car. I am 6'1" and have to actually almost lean against the car to see the engine as it is low in the bay. I wouldn't see the point of lighting up the engine bay at all. And even if you can see it your only looking at a plastic cover, which I removed as well. (Allowing Heat to escape) I dark tinted the rear window (So people wouldn't lean against it) as people were leaning against my car to try to get a good look at the engine.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

Be carful when tapping into lighting circuits. The computer may monitor the current to determine if there is a problem with the light. This is how some cars know to display an indicator light on the dash when you have a tail light out.
        2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	TR Night 1.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	201423 Click image for larger version

Name:	TR Night 2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	201424

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteHorse View Post
            There is another thread about wiring to a separate switch, but I want to have them automatically come on with the tail lights and shine on the red engine cover.
            This should be a simple link to the tail light line, no switch needed. It would have to be an additional wire for the lights to still come on when the hood is open. But I have no idea of how to do it.

I can't believe no one has a post on this already. I would think a lot of people would want to do this - a nice subtle light on the engine while you are driving down the road at night would be cool looking. I threw something out on the forum back in May, and found out that it would not void the warranty, but no one has actually commented on doing it, although they did comment on other lighting kit ideas.

It should not make visibility out of the window bad because the rear camera would bypass that problem for LT2 and 3 users.
            Interesting concept. I like it. Following to see if there is a solution.
            2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, LT2, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

American Hydrocarbon, that is lit up with the hood closed, but you have no text to say how you did it.

Frenzy36. I never thought of that. do you think people in SUVs or trucks behind you would be able to see it? And aren't you afraid of the heat on a window tint on the back glass?

2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
              Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

Comment

Ahhh, American Hydrocarbon, do you have the Power Ranger magic decoder switch hidden in the dash, or does it come on with car lights?
                Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteHorse View Post
                  American Hydrocarbon, that is lit up with the hood closed, but you have no text to say how you did it.

Frenzy36. I never thought of that. do you think people in SUVs or trucks behind you would be able to see it? And aren't you afraid of the heat on a window tint on the back glass?
                  I personally wouldn't care if someone behind me or around me could see the engine or not. There is too much of an angle for them to see anything except the back glass anyway. There is no way they would be able to see the engine.
                  Window Tint - I opted for the High heat resistant carbon ceramic tint. The shop told me it would be absolutely no problem, and 2000 miles in the Florida heat no problem so far.

American Hydrocarbon makes some nice engine covers for those who wish to open their back hatch at car shows etc. Just not something I wish to bother with. I must have opened the rear at least 100 times already just from friends and family wanting to see it. From having vehicles with self closers I am familiar that they usually have a very short lifespan as it is. No need to be constantly opening and closing the rear. Another thought with this vehicle having so many electronics which are still working even after you have shut the car down and walked away- Why put the extra strain on the battery and alternator? I'm over opening the rear of the car unless I need to - for carrying things.
                  Last edited by Frenzy36; 10-24-2020, 12:11 AM.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

Frenzy36 -- the voice of experience. good to know. If I would have known no one would see it, I probably would not have gotten the engine appearance package., especially for that $$. OH well, at least the carbon fiber will compliment the 5vm aero kit. I decided to go with AGM and the carbon fiber look like you did instead of carbon flash; they said 99% of people do.

On the other hand, I am sure a connection to the lights would not affect electrical power draw when off any more than the headlights would, which they don't. I would still like to get it done it if it's not too difficult.

Now you have me wondering if people might be able to see a reflection of the engine in the back glass if the light were on when driving, which would show it off. That would look cool. I am not worried about reflection for the driver because of the mirror camera. You can't see much out of that window anyway. the only way to test for this would be to have a light in there (flashlight or something) and look from behind at night. Anyone care to do that for us? I don't have my car yet (but will soon God willing).

Comment

WhiteHorse, I don't think that a few led lights would cause any issues with current draw unless on when engine is shut off. I would however run it's own circuit with a fuse just in case there were to be a short down the road from vibration, rubbing or water intrusion. I would Not connect it to one of the existing circuits such as running lights or brake lights etc. One small wire from Pos terminal of battery immediately to fuse then into the passenger compartment with a lighted switch under the dash then back to the lights and then obviously you can ground to the chassis in the engine compartment. Would be the right way to go about it.
                      Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post
                        Be carful when tapping into lighting circuits. The computer may monitor the current to determine if there is a problem with the light. This is how some cars know to display an indicator light on the dash when you have a tail light out.
                        We had that exact problem when we tried to tap into the brake light circuit on a Audi for a trailer brake controller. its not just tap into any wire on new cars anymore. The ECU seems to know. But for those brave souls, tap away
                        3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                          WhiteHorse, I don't think that a few led lights would cause any issues with current draw unless on when engine is shut off.
                          It's not that the extra current draw would damage something, or blow a fuse. It's that many modern cars monitor voltage and current flow to critical circuits (like tail lights) very closely, and will generate an error code if the either is out of spec. Does the C8 do this? No idea.
                          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I ordered a battery-powered LED light strip with remote operation (multi-colored) from Amazon for about $20. I'd rather not tap into the vehicle's electronics, although agree that if done, the best way is likely to tap into running light wires near the back.

Comment

Welcome aboard sub3ray! Are your plans to provide some light excitement to the engine compartment? How about using the license plate light source?
                              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X