MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Lug Nut Torque on locking lugs, same or less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug Nut Torque on locking lugs, same or less?

The C8 specifies a sky high 140 ft/Lbs of torque on the wheel lug nuts.

My mechanic didn’t want to apply that to the GM locking lugs as he was sure it would shear them off. He suggested 90 ft/Lbs.

Does anyone have personal experience with this, for better or worse?

I’m not eager to be the trail blazer on stripping the locking lugs!

Given the 140 ft/lbs requirement, I bought a new, more heavy duty torque wrench. With about 500+ miles on my C8, I checked all lug nuts last week. I found that about 75% were at 140, but some were slightly less. I'm glad I checked them as recommended and probably should have done it earlier.

I'll admit, I did have some reluctance using a 2-foot long torque wench with the force necessary for 140 ft/lbs on my C8, but it worked fine and I don't think you should be concerned applying the torque specified by GM.
    Delivered 9/5/2020: 2LT C8 Coupe, Long Beach Red, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Lift, Spectra Gray Tridents, GT1 Seats, Jet Black Interior, Splash Guards

Comment

Exactly, as VA_Bill noted, that is if the locking ones are a GM part. Do the cheaper aftermarket ones hold up to 140 PSI? Only time will tell. As to your Tech Denizen not wanting to go to 140 #, that is so wrong — and leaves, him, his dealership and you liable (your safety) if there is a problem later attributed to not having the OEM specified torque on all five studs.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I would find another mechanic.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

What other's said. ALL the lug nuts should be torqued to the same value. Always.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
            What other's said. ALL the lug nuts should be torqued to the same value. Always.
            I just changed over to black lug nuts on my car.I used a set from McGard .They were the spline type and included a locking lug for each wheel.They also included the socket for the locking lug and a socket for the spline lugs. This is the torque wrench I used for the final torquing to 140 ft.lbs. Didn't have any problems. I will check them again after 100 miles. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_151736.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	199762

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post
              The C8 specifies a sky high 140 ft/Lbs of torque on the wheel lug nuts.

My mechanic didn’t want to apply that to the GM locking lugs as he was sure it would shear them off. He suggested 90 ft/Lbs.

Does anyone have personal experience with this, for better or worse?

I’m not eager to be the trail blazer on stripping the locking lugs!
              Ha Ha Ha "sky hi torque" ALWAYS use factory torque specs - especially on wheels! My 911 Carrera GTS required 444 ft/lbs of torque - needed a 3' breaker bar (plus a special wrench too). Safety is not up for the tech to mess with.
              Last edited by Jackie; 10-18-2020, 07:23 PM. Reason: added ft/lbs & Safety

Comment

Here are a couple more posts on this:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...our-wheel-nuts

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...lug-nut-torque

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ug-nuts-torque

TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Just use one of these. After you get used to using it (it has programming to get you close) you can get it almost perfect. Have gotten used to high TQ values because trucks require a higher value. My 2020 2500 Denali uses 140 lb ft....

I carry one of these and a lot of other tools with me but no this is not something to be carried in the car, well i guess you could.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...enches/2863-22

Comment

Thanks, this was helpful.

The previous post, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

Ha Ha Ha "sky hi torque" ALWAYS use factory torque specs - especially on wheels! My 911 Carrera GTS required 444 ft/lbs of torque - needed a 3' breaker bar (plus a special wrench too). Safety is not up for the tech to mess with.
                      But your Porsche has center lock hubs: only one nut torqued to 444. The C8 has 5 lugs torqued to 140 ft/lbs - a total of 700 ft/lbs holding the wheel on.

Agree with always following the factory specs, though.
                      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X