X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devious Chevrolet Dealer “Surprises” C8 Corvette Buyer With $10k Markup

Hopefully you weren't this buyer!

From AutoEvolution:

Back in August 2019, Anthony Caruso agreed to buy a C8 Corvette through Liberty Chevrolet for the princely price $85,805. More than a year after signing the purchase agreement and ponying up $1,000 as a deposit for the order, the sales manager called him and said that the mid-engine sports car is ready to be picked up.

Before Anthony headed to Selma to take delivery with a friend with judicial background, his buddy suggested calling the dealership to confirm the final price of the vehicle including the DMV fees and Californian taxes. “It came out to around $93,000,” but to his surprise, our protagonist was informed about a $10,000 markup that wasn’t included in the purchase agreement.

“I was a little puzzled,” wrote Anthony on the Facebook group C8 Corvette Owners (And Friends). “The sales manager agreed on the $93k math but said there’s a $10k markup if you want the car today or you can order one and wait another year or two.” The dealer, however, may regret being devious.

Thanks to his judicial background and “because my guy hates extortion,” Anthony’s friend is pretty certain that the dealership’s employee has “committed a felony or two” by insisting on a markup that wasn’t agreed upon. As if that wasn’t bad enough for the sales manager, Liberty Chevrolet has also listed the Corvette Stingray 3LT Coupe at $105,505 online.

“They had it up on there on their site with MSRP since when it was in transit [in September],” said Anthony. “I emailed them expressing interest (a different email than the one they have; I have about 8 different emails from companies I own). I get an email that the car was sold to the person that ordered it last year. I replied that yes, the car was ordered by me. The ad was taken done immediately.” Indeed, that's quite an obvious red flag.

Considering what's listed in the purchase agreement from August 2019 and that the $1,000 deposit check states the agreed price at $85,805, Liberty Chevrolet will most likely lose this case if both parties go to court.
    My C8:
    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

I would have the Hold my Wife down from ending up in Jail
    Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
    Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

I would imagine most dealership purchase agreements have very small writing, mixed in with other small writing, to cover the additional markup. I wish Anthony Good Luck.

Comment

We have never, remotely, had any issues like that with a MECF forum dealership.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Glad the stealership was "outed," by I hope we get some updates on the final outcome here.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Just a suggestion but maybe the MECF could create a Wall of Shame page where our members could view the outed "stealdealerships" that have been noted and verified as the con artist that they are.

Comment

Glad I live within 100 miles of a MECF dealer with whom I have had excellent, "no surprise" dealings with in both sales and service.

Comment

When I put my deposit down at Les Stanford in Michigan, I asked Paul Stanford specifically about this issue. His answer was a blunt "We don't operate that way." He went on to say that he and his brother, who co-owns the dealership, felt there was already enough profit in the cars they sell that they didn't have to resort to price gouging. I have every confidence that when my car is invoiced (hopefully) next month there will be no surprises.

Comment

Les Stanford is a 100 on the integrity scale. As are our seven other forum dealerships.
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X