Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME Called Manta Ray?

CC08F425-48E4-449E-AEDE-72D170145A88.jpeg

Click image for larger version  Name:	BC390242-4141-4EF5-A635-6C096DC34446.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	1975

Click image for larger version

Name:	6AC3C0F0-0769-4E65-B329-56B8B8462F25.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1978

Will the ME Corvette be called the “Manta Ray”?

Based on the fact that GM filed for a "Manta Ray" trademark a few years ago, and that the C7 got named a “Stingray,” might the mid-engined new Corvette line might bear the name Manta Ray?

Looking at the picture of the back end of the 1960's Manta Ray below, easy to see how this could easily morph into a mid- engined Corvette.
    The actual patent application is at the bottom of this thread.

Originally posted by CorvetteBlogger
    GM Registers a Trademark for ‘Corvette Manta Ray’
    Thanks to some sleuthing of the US Patent and Trademarks database, the writers over at AutoGuide.com have discovered that last week GM filed a trademark application for ‘Corvette Manta Ray’ for use as “Motor land vehicles, namely, automobiles, engines therefor and structural parts thereof”.

The Manta Ray trademark was filed by General Motors and you can see the trademark request from the USPTO below:

Chevrolet Registers a Trademark for 'Corvette Manta Ray'

A filing of a trademark by General Motors is no small thing and they can point to future projects coming to fruition like the ‘Corvette Grand Sport’ trademarked in 2008 or the Stingray application filed in 2010.

Chevrolet has used the Manta Ray name previously as a concept car that closely related to the Mako Shark and the Mako Shark II.

The Manta Ray was actually built using the 1965 Mako Shark II (XP-830) as its base and so it retained many of the Mako Shark IIs features which were many. The Mako Shark II set the design standard for the C3 Corvette but as a concept car it included a clamshell hood and an all-aluminum ZL-1 V8.

The Manta Ray had changes to front grill and a new spoiler while the rear received the most dramatic changes including a flying buttress replacing the Mako’s Venetian blinds rear window treatment. The side exhaust pipes were redesigned to be a bit rounder and they were eventually offered on the 1969 Corvette Stingray. Today, the car resides at the GM Heritage Center.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/...tte-manta-ray/

Click image for larger version  Name:	992A0974-BC53-4417-8D9C-18D5E7027351.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	1969

What are your thoughts about the ME being called a Manta Ray?
    Last edited by John; 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Manta Ray is a possibility, but I believe that given how truly unique the ME is, it will be named after another famous aquatic Corvette Prototype - the Mako Shark.

I don't recall if GM has refreshed the trademark for Mako Shark. *shrug*
      Last edited by Mobius; 07-16-2018, 10:27 AM.
      My C8:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

If the ME is called a Manta Ray, this is what the front fender emblem could look like. A Manta Ray is one amazing looking creature!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB6D6ACE-7FAA-411C-A021-BBB1A45AD0FE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	2110

Comment

Maybe they'll use that on the electric hybrid.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
          Working...
          X