Major 2020 Corvette Paint Issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major 2020 Corvette Paint Issue!

WARNING...MAJOR PAINT ISSUE: In bright light, the insane gloss on our 2020 HTC nearly blinds oncoming traffic!!!

The first year C8 paint is leaps and bounds ahead of the first year C7 paint...don't ask me how I know! 🤣😉😎

That sure looks blinding (in a good way).
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Why is your car parked on boards?
      "07/01/20 Placed deposit on 2021 C8 Coupe: 08/01/20 Preliminary order placed in GM Workbench: 2LT: G9F: FE2: NPP: VST: VDK: R8C"

Comment

Originally posted by hogyld View Post
        Why is your car parked on boards?
        I was at my friend's place for the weekend. He has some sort of lift between the boards and uses the boards so he can park his Corvettes over the lift.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree -- major kudos to the C8 paint folks - the finish on my LBR is way, way better than my C6 or C7. The biggest plus to me is all of the panels and sections are now the same color!! The roof panels and rear sections of both my LeMans Blue C6 and Lime Rock Green C7 did not match the other sections of the car. Nobody noticed it but me, but it was always a point of discontent. Especially when I'd wash and wax them. I've looked at the C8's finish up close and I can't find anything to b#@!h about. Yippee!!

Comment

The first C8 I drove (borrowed it) was an early build - every panel was a different shade of orange worse than I've ever seen on a car before, however, my recent blade silver C8 does not have that problem - must have been something early on.

Comment

Originally posted by AirdaleC7 View Post
              I wholeheartedly agree -- major kudos to the C8 paint folks - the finish on my LBR is way, way better than my C6 or C7. The biggest plus to me is all of the panels and sections are now the same color!! The roof panels and rear sections of both my LeMans Blue C6 and Lime Rock Green C7 did not match the other sections of the car. Nobody noticed it but me, but it was always a point of discontent. Especially when I'd wash and wax them. I've looked at the C8's finish up close and I can't find anything to b#@!h about. Yippee!!

I’ll second that. I spent time with my detailer/ceramic coater yesterday before he started applying OptiCoat Pro Plus and he found only two minor spots on my LBR that needed any work at all. He waived the normal paint correction add-on charge because there was so little he needed to do.

Overall, the fit and finish inside and out is superb.
              Convertible delivered 9/11/20 — Long Beach Red/Natural, 3LT, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Front Lift, FA5 Carbon Fiber Trim, Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents, 5ZZ High Wing, D84 Carbon Flash Top & Nacelles, ZYC Carbon Flash Mirrors, 3N9 Tan Belts, VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

jagamaj..., Does it glow in the dark?!
                Since the new paint shop opened for the C7 it's more than likely the paint formula used for the C8 may make a difference. Also the different angles of the body design between the C7 and C8 may camouflage any color difference we (you because I won't see mine until 2021) are seeing. AND we aren't getting any younger so eyesight may be an issue.
                2021 Elkhart Lake Blue coupe, 2LT, Front lift, Chrome Ext. Badge package, mag ride, performance exhaust. Feb 2020 refundable deposit to get on dealer allocation list, Aug 2020 signed a PO with dealer and paid non-refundable deposit.

Comment

Glad to hear that!

Comment

Now you have done it,,,, the orange peel guys will have nothing to complain about.
                    3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

This thread title got me! I'm glad you ended up in a happy place (you will have to tell us about your 1st year C7 sometime).

I thought we C8 owners had another paint issue to look out for other than:
                      Nobody ever bought a corvette for the paint job but it seems like it's coming around.

I'm glad that the BG has improved the paint equipment. They certainly brag about it a lot.

Hopefully they continue to improve the human element, both in designing the QC checks and the diligence with which those procedures are executed on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Prefurbia View Post
                        The first C8 I drove (borrowed it) was an early build - every panel was a different shade of orange worse than I've ever seen on a car before, however, my recent blade silver C8 does not have that problem - must have been something early on.
                        Interesting...my Sebring Orange VIN 50 doesn't have any issues like you describe. Built first day of production.

Comment

Jeremy your car looks great. Which one glows better, red or orange?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C7/C8 View Post
                            Jeremy your car looks great. Which one glows better, red or orange?
                            Thanks! Red does in the shade, orange does in the sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
                              Now you have done it,,,, the orange peel guys will have nothing to complain about.
                              I wish! Orange peel is still very bad in places on my car.....
                              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X