Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast News & Headlines

Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com get together once again for the the latest update in the world of Corvette. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...ry-2021-eqmrgl. News & Headlines for late February 2021 on these topics and more.
1. Winter storm delays reopening of BGA
2. ISeeCars.com reports that the C8 Corvette was the fastest selling car in January.
3. Don’t expect Black Trident wheels back until April 2021
4. The C8 is the Daytona 500 Pace Car
5. Here are the Corvette colors being retired in 2022
6. Sylvester Stallone buys a Rapid Blue C8 Corvette
7. Play Corvette Drive on Alexa
See more
See less

Check your front shock towers for water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your front shock towers for water

With credit to Mikeki7 and Phi1098 elsewhere on the internet:

There have been multiple reports of water collecting in the tops of the front shock towers, under the plastic covers behind the frunk. Photo thanks to Mikeki7.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3_9b2cf8c9fc22abe9875c8d660f54b72af84aa84b.jpg
Views:	2737
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	193057

Phil1098 has identified weep holes below the passenger side of the windshield as a possible source of water on that side. Per him:

So it has been thought that the battery cover area where the interior air intake is was where water was coming from that fills the upper strut tower after washing, it's not. I took mine off and looked last night and the screen opening isn't above the strut tower, ***? So then I look at where the strut tower is and notice the drain holes at the lowest part of the windshield cowl panel. I took my light and held it over them and it illuminated the upper strut tower as shown in the pics. If they would have had the holes towards the driver about one inch or put a little funnel and drain line under the holes it wouldn't happen. I'm going to see about coming up with a small funnel and line to resolve this. If you have washed your car, you too have a bunch of water in the strut tower.

Name:	img_3139_2981124b03740e2509e45b8795e2573a4687e634.jpg
Views:	2590
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	193058
    ^^^^^
    Light laying in windshield cowl illuminating the strut tower.

Name:	img_3138_16ffc2569408a7cd1c67b7240a8a646240245fe0.jpg
Views:	2611
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	193059
    ^^^^^
    Light on top of strut tower shining up.
    Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

I just got my C8 last week. I was looking at the battery location yesterday and also noticed the water in the shock tower. The recesses were almost full. I removed the water with a sponge and ten dried the rest with my compressed air hose. I have not washed my car yet to see if the shock towers fill up while washing, or even driving in the rain.

Has anyone found a DIY solution to this issue?

Comment

Just throwing this out there... would it be ok to drill small drain holes? Don't know what is underneath there, but just an idea.
      2021 2LT HTC, front lift, MRCS, GT2 natural Napa 2 tone seats, Perf. exh and all wrapped in Red Mist metallic, lowered w/Paragon collars and riding on BC Forged wheels 😎
      Delivered 1/26/21 VIN 00921

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post
        Just throwing this out there... would it be ok to drill small drain holes? Don't know what is underneath there, but just an idea.
        I, personally, would be hesitant to drill holes in a structural component.
        Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by MNVETTE View Post
          I just got my C8 last week. I was looking at the battery location yesterday and also noticed the water in the shock tower. The recesses were almost full. I removed the water with a sponge and ten dried the rest with my compressed air hose. I have not washed my car yet to see if the shock towers fill up while washing, or even driving in the rain.

Has anyone found a DIY solution to this issue?
          I saw one suggestion to build a small trough that could be glued under those holes and route the water away from the shock tower. Not having my C8 yet, I can't look to see how feasible this might be.

Comment

Yup, when my vert went in for lowering last week, my guy found water collecting in the top of the shock towers. Mine hasn't been in the rain once, just washed a total of 3 times since delivery.
            Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

Check out my link here on the same issue I had in March 2020

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-turkey-baster

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post
                I agree with Bob (meyerweb), definitely would not drill the shock tower. Since there are multiple drain holes in the windshield panel, what about blocking just those above each tower, and allow the water to drain through the other holes?
                Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
                Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
                Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
                blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

Too much time on my hands last weekend, so decided to try to find a solution to the front shock tower water issue. I had this problem (see post #2). I could not find any drain water holes to glue shut and did not want to do anything to modify the shock towers (drilling) or any other OEM part. I looked for existing plastic covers (Tupperware, food container, etc.) that would just cover the shock tower but nothing seemed to fit.

I did have a few scraps of1/8" thick polycarbonate (Lexan) so I made a paper template, cut the plastic will a saber saw, then sanded and polished the edges (see photo).

To attach the covers I started with a 2" length of 3/8" fuel line, two spring clamps, a 1 1/2" long 3/8-16 stud, and the nuts (see photo).

To assemble, just pull the rubber cover of the shock stud in the middle of the shock tower. Then push the fuel line over the shock stud, adjust the length of the 3?8" stud so enough of the stud goes through the cover to put the nuts on (see photo).

I have not washed the car or been in the rain to see how well it works yet, but with about two hours of work and some scrap supplies I thought it was worth a try.

Name:	LEXAN COVERS.jpg
Views:	2126
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	205764

Name:	HOSE-STUD-NUTS.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	205761

Name:	COVER INSTALLED.jpg
Views:	2140
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	205762
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice engineering work! The “fuel line over the stud” is brilliant.

Comment

Did Good Opie

Comment

Too much time on my hands last weekend, so decided to try to find a solution to the front shock tower water issue
                        Is there any grease in there? And if not do you think a ton of grease would be effective?
                        Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                        2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                        Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                        3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Very creative solution! Let us know if it works well. Looks like it should without any issues and the clear Lexan even lets you see if there's any water in there without taking it off.

Comment

Nice work! I wonder if there should be a vent hole or two in a location that water can't run into, to ensure there's no corrosion if water does get in there. Or maybe it doesn't seal tightly enough to matter?

Comment

Too much time on my hands last weekend, so decided to try to find a solution to the front shock tower water issue.
                              What if you just shot some "Great Stuff" expanding insulation foam into the shock tower holes?
                              Torch Red, 2LT, Z51, Q8T, AH2, TU7, FE4, J6N, Deposit July 23, 2019 - 2000 Jan. 20 - 3000 Feb.1 - TPW: July 27, 2020.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X