Z06’s & ZR1’s In The Wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06’s & ZR1’s In The Wild

Thanks TFL (“TheFastLane”) for this spotting and article. Clearly the moratorium on testing future, advanced product which was enacted in mid-March ended and testing is back in full scope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CD0F76F3-F24C-4112-A2A6-6537E837D919.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	285.8 KB ID:	190932

Originally posted by TFL
    What’s GM Hiding? At Least 10 Chevy Corvette Z06/ZR1 Test Cars Spotted In The Wild

There could be some serious power under those car covers

ByZach Butler
    -
    September 16, 2020

While the first model year’s worth of the new Chevy Corvette C8 have hit the streets, GM is by no means taking their foot off the gas pedal. Quite the contrary, in fact, as TFL reader Quinten spotted outside his Denver, Colorado hotel this morning. No fewer than ten Chevy Corvette C8 test cars came and left the lot, he says — including what appear to be either the ZR1, Z06, or both.

Obviously, we see quite a few prototypes testing in Colorado, and engineers are most likely altitude testing these cars up in the Rocky Mountains. It’s rare, though, that we see an entire fleet of test cars, but this is a sign that we’ll see bigger and better things out of the Corvette C8 lineup, possibly even in the near future.

A previous leak back in April laid out potential groundwork for the C8 generation through 2025. That included a Z06 due out in 2022, a Grand Sport in 2023 and a ZR1 in 2024. Finally, to round of the top of the Corvette stack, we could even see a 1,000 horsepower electrified “Zora”. To be clear, we believe GM is testing either the ZR1 or Z06 here, since those cars would arrive first.

What do we know so far?

Based on that information, we have a decent idea what sort of powertrain could lurk within these Corvettes. The C8 Z06 and ZR1 will use a 5.5-liter flat-plane crank V8, but in different configurations. The mid-range Z06 should put out around 650 horsepower, while the ZR1 could pack twin turbochargers and manage 850 horsepower.

From this angle and distance, it’s difficult to tell exactly what sort of Corvettes we’re looking at here. Notably, these cars don’t appear to have the wings we normally associate on the higher-performance models (especially on the ZR1). But, as the standard Corvette Stingray is on sale now, clearly General Motors is orchestrating their next move in expanding the range, and that will bring exciting additions in the coming years.
    https://www.tflcar.com/2020/09/whats...d-in-the-wild/
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Sneaky ...
    Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
    Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Well Alright!!!

Comment

Great to see - hoping we get more spy shots soon. Video and audio.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

Super cool!...in my backyard even!

Comment

Another Z06/ZR1 mule picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	695D1170-9083-4772-BA21-1E13943EBDC0.jpeg
Views:	797
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	191019

Credit to Brian Willaims (Spiedbilde)
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

We've seen some of these test cars with side exhaust tips like the Stingray, and some with center exhaust. I wonder if one is the Z06 and the other the ZR-1
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Dont see anything different - some kind of spacers under the tail?
                Last edited by Frenzy36; 09-17-2020, 12:23 AM.
                Rocket City Florida

Comment

Video Thanks to -
                  D3X1M3REMIXED
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                    Video Thanks to -
                    D3X1M3REMIXED
                    Nice find. Love those center pipes. Can’t wait to see more soon.

Comment

1k possibly from a factory hybrid and AWD-----my mouth is watering right now! The BEST PART IS it will have a factory warranty. I know a lot of you will turn up your nose but for me because of a factory warranty and even an extended one (rental car coverage) I will be one of those guys like our own co founder John who takes his on long road trips! I just hope I stay out of jail!

Mine will get the wheels driven off of it! Trips all over (18 to 24k a year) because no worries on a failure like I have to worry about on my current C7.

Comment

Dont see anything different - some kind of spacers under the tail?
                        Probably aerodynamic. Looks like a small diffuser, which can provide more downforce:

Click image for larger version

Name:	-DIbfKeoqnibDO-T7ewSTvghF5KPJoFf118Zn2tOpOz43Xhcxg33JRKL9-oSmkho2thWeBsa-FeSbWWsPoykMp3SlYN1YsuqYOkjN7VBRoc_yHM.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	191150
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Video Thanks to -
                          D3X1M3REMIXED
                          Originally posted by 455SDguy View Post

Nice find. Love those center pipes. Can’t wait to see more soon.
                          What's with the stupid music, though? We want to hear the exhaust, not music.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >36,000 miles

Comment

With all of these test mules in 1 place in Colorado I am sure the spy video shooters of that area will be all over looking for them and get some good sound video. Where is the Corvette Nut when you need him most? Everyone should remember how many spy shots he planted on us last year!
                            Last edited by 455SDguy; 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X