Plastic Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Protection

Anyone know if there's anything available to protect that black strip of plastic on the floor between the seat and sill plate? I was always scuffing it with my heel in my C7 getting out of the car. The guy who installed my XPEL said he doesn't know of anything. Thanks.

I'm still 6 months out, but I am glad to see your question. I hit that area (whatever it's called...) often in my daily driver. I know it'll be an issue with the C8 if I'm not paying attention. Looking forward to hearing input from others.
    2021 Red Mist Tintcoat, convertible

Comment

Originally posted by L79 View Post
      Anyone know if there's anything available to protect that black strip of plastic on the floor between the seat and sill plate? I was always scuffing it with my heel in my C7 getting out of the car. The guy who installed my XPEL said he doesn't know of anything. Thanks.
      Maybe he/she means that XPEL does not have a pre-cut piece for that place, but my XPEL person cut one to fit. Looks great and a\perhaps around five years from now when it has absorbed its sacrificial scuffing, I will replace with another piece of PPF. I am one of by now 100+ who have had a piece of PFF cut to cover the area of the sill (and surrounding)to protect it.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Amazon used to sell (and maybe still does - I haven't looked) a narrow roll of xpel that was perfect for this purpose.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I think L79 is talking about the plastic piece between the sill and the carpet. PPF will not stick to that because it is not smooth. Several vendors used to sell a molded frosted plastic piece for the C7 that covered from the sill edge to the carpet, but have not seen one for the C8. You can put PPF on the sill plate and the painted area around the plate.
          Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic LT2 Coupe, black interior, Z51, FE4, carbon flash trim, chrome wheels, edge red calipers, carbon flash/edge red fender hash marks, carbon flash painted ground effects & engine enhancement panels ...

Comment

Avoid touching the sill or the plastic or the door when you get in. I have perfected in and out procedures that seem to work. If you don’t have a scuff on the sill you are not driving enough.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	004E801F-C162-4D6F-A9FB-2C346DDFBF6B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	321.2 KB ID:	191084
              Wouldn’t a product like this serve the purpose?
              Last edited by hogyld; 09-17-2020, 05:50 AM. Reason: Edited to suggest product name
              "07/01/20 Placed deposit on 2021 C8 Coupe: 08/01/20 Preliminary order placed in GM Workbench: 2LT: G9F: FE2: NPP: VST: VDK: R8C"

Comment

I'm temporarily using some stuff I use to protect around the flipper buttons on my pinball machines. I can't remember the name of it, but I got it at Lowe's in the paint supplies dept. It's a clear film in a roll that you cut off with light adhesive on one side that peels off with no damage...looks dorky and shiny on there but protects it until I can find something else.

Comment

Originally posted by L79 View Post
                  Expel sells a product called Trac Wrap, it was developed to use temporarily to protect the car when used at the track. I put this on the front of my 2018 Silverado, the vehicles we use to winter in SoCal from Pa. it has been on now for two years and looks great. If you take your time when applying it is difficult to notice. I spoke with an Expel Rep and he stated it can be left on permanently without paint damage. I placed it on the chrome mirrors also, not a chip to be found. I also placed it on the door sills for the same reason you inquired. They sell it in many different sizes and rolls. I really like the product.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                    Amazon used to sell (and maybe still does - I haven't looked) a narrow roll of xpel that was perfect for this purpose.
                    Yes, it's in my wish list on Amazon
                    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                    3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by Daltonmc View Post
                      I think L79 is talking about the plastic piece between the sill and the carpet. PPF will not stick to that because it is not smooth. Several vendors used to sell a molded frosted plastic piece for the C7 that covered from the sill edge to the carpet, but have not seen one for the C8. You can put PPF on the sill plate and the painted area around the plate.
                      My XPEL installer said it won't adhere well to this plastic because of the uneven surface...plus lots of bubbles, etc. So I'm nixing the XPEL idea and hoping comes up aftermarket.

Comment

will any of the interior ceramic coating products protect it?
                        Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4. Bumped to a 2021.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X