Turning off the bark on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning off the bark on startup

I leave for work at 5:00AM, and I have the car in my-mode pretty much forgetting to switch to tour mode to quiet the startup for my neighbors. I can't figure a away to switch from My Mode to a quiet start up (tour) without starting up the car. I think the new Mustang you keep the start button depressed to get quiet start-up... any ideas?

Start it up with the garage door closed?
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Sorry, this is all I could think of on short notice:

Push the car out of the neighborhood.
      Leave it running overnight.
      Potatoes in the exhaust outlets.
      Pay off the neighbors.
      Retire.
      C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Try a Bottle of whatever they like to Drink ... and say welcome to the Neighborhood
        Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
        Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

I have got the worst neighbor you could ever find. I have not received my car yet but what will I put it in to keep it loud? I think this is the only reason I ordered that option/.

Comment

Is the initial 'bark' on start up the same, or is it different if you have it set to stealth mode vs. other modes with an NPP exhaust? I know that the NPP exhaust sounds different in the different modes when idling and driving; but I'm specifically asking about cold start up.
            Does putting it in gear quieten the initial bark, or does it remain loud for a set period of time to warm up the cats?

Comment

Originally posted by shiumai View Post
              Is the initial 'bark' on start up the same, or is it different if you have it set to stealth mode vs. other modes with an NPP exhaust? I know that the NPP exhaust sounds different in the different modes when idling and driving; but I'm specifically asking about cold start up.
              Does putting it in gear quieten the initial bark, or does it remain loud for a set period of time to warm up the cats?
              I seem to recall reading that the NPP exhaust was programmed to always start with the valves open, regardless of the mode set. But I can't find a reference to that now.

But it should be easy enough to test. Put the exhaust in stealth mode before you turn the car off, then see if it starts up more quietly the next morning. If it does, and you forget to put it in stealth mode before putting it to bed, the following might work:

Before starting the car, push the start button for 8 seconds without your foot on the brake. This puts the car in service mode (essentially the same as turning the key to "on," in an older car with an actual ignition key). From there you should be able to switch the exhaust to stealth mode before you start the car.

But my original suggestion was serious. If I need to leave the house early in the a.m., I start the car with the garage door closed. You're not going to be asphyxiated in the 5 or 10 seconds it takes to quiet things down.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

No, I think in tour mode it's quieter on the performance exhause, but I seem to always forget to enter the neighborhood in Tour, so it starts in My Mode.

Comment

Can you not turn on the infotainment system before starting the car? I assume for the engine to start, you must have your foot on the brake. Pressing the button without the brake should turn on the infotainment system, though it may take a couple of presses. This is how most other push button start cars work. If you could do this, you may be able to switch the mode before starting her up.

I'd be surprised if neighbors could hear the start up even if it's extremely cold out with stock exhaust. Is it really that loud? I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the car in person yet.
                  Last edited by Flaring Afro; 09-15-2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I got the optional performance exhaust - non-z51

Comment

I think Myerweb is correct. I think the valves are open when starting the car..I've been starting the car in tour mode and it seems louder..

Comment

Tour mode isn't quiet at cold startup. There's a quick bark before it settles down.
                        2020 C8 Corvette
                        Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                        2LT, Z51 + MRC
                        Spectra Grey Tridents
                        Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

Whow, I learn so much. I just need neighbor mode.

Comment

I just need neighbor mode.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I hope we can get an accurate answer. If the performance exhaust is always open on start up regardless of the mode the car is in, then I would need to eliminate this option while I still can. In many neighborhoods this action would subject you to fines, and you would need to silence the car.(Putting car in a closed garage every time for restart is not an option, neither would parking in a hospital zone)

Comment

If you forget to set the mode when you park...

hold the start button without foot on the brake. Wait for it to fully light up the dash. rotate the selector to tour and then start the car .. Foot on brake and start button.

I just did this in my garage. I too have my mode as Track exhaust. I rotated the dial (in service mode)and set it to tour and it was noticeably quieter. I put it back to my mode and it was louder.

2LT Arctic White Z51 w Mag ride, front lift, GT2 seats and Carbon Fiber Aero.
                              -High Wing

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X