See less

Your Five Top C8 Z06 Characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SheepDog Just for fun, let's extrapolate the other side of the equation. The Porsche weighs 10% less than the vette, yet gets worse fuel economy -15/19 EPA with a 16 average versus the vette's 15/27 and 19 average. How does Chevy keep the EPA rating of the vette from dropping to 10 - 12 mpg and a gas guzzler penalty, assuming they could simply scale-up that engine? Powertrain design for passenger cars is a challenge and involves many tradeoffs.
    Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4. Bumped to a 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
      SheepDog Just for fun, let's extrapolate the other side of the equation. The Porsche weighs 10% less than the vette, yet gets worse fuel economy -15/19 EPA with a 16 average versus the vette's 15/27 and 19 average. How does Chevy keep the EPA rating of the vette from dropping to 10 - 12 mpg and a gas guzzler penalty, assuming they could simply scale-up that engine? Powertrain design for passenger cars is a challenge and involves many tradeoffs.
      Yes. I hear that good stuff.Now that you raise this valid point I tend to consider the following: It is, indeed, dynamic. A lot's going on. That cuts in all directions. Corvette has managed to figure it out with the LS7, Z06s, ZR1s, LT2, supercharged and big displacement engines over the years. Corvette has in the pass gotten good milage out of monster engines. I assume they will continue to be good at that with a monster 5.5 flat plane crank LT6, maxed-out and and ornery. They have used cylinder deactivation and other tech to get it done. The C8 LT2 has modes. The non performance modes provide the favorable milage. Track mode has higher consumption more like the figures provided for the Porsche GT3. The softer C8 modes give the C8 an optional friendly personality. The Corvette tuners will probably find sweet spots as necessary.
      Last edited by SheepDog; 09-13-2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Hey Boys, OK i'll bite. First post. I've never owned a Corvette and will be passing on the C8 and patiently waiting for the C8 Z06. My list is more objective from the outside and not as "tech" founded.
        1. FPC w/ a 9000rpm redline. This sets this hot rod apart. We all want to hear it scream......
        2. High performance/ louder exhaust. Nothing like stating your presence like a loud....flowing exhaust
        3. Body that states Z06. I would want a Z06 to "STAND OUT" not only in performance but also in looks so you know when you roll up to it...its not your standard C8
        4. For me would want a more stated wing.....active is understated and the Z06 should be loud visually imho.
        5. Definitely, a better selection of wheels....w/ 20" and 21's they will make the look.

Comment

[Quote=John]I agree with you . There will be new and exciting Z06 wheels, including the optional visible carbon fiber ones we have glimpsed. Many think there will be three different spoiler/wing options — including one which might not have any on its rear deck just like the standard Stingray.[/Quote]

That would be awesome!

(hopefully a little birdie has been tweeting)
          Last edited by VETTED53; 09-14-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

VCB, great first post. Welcome aboard.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by VCB View Post
              Hey Boys, OK i'll bite. First post. I've never owned a Corvette and will be passing on the C8 and patiently waiting for the C8 Z06. My list is more objective from the outside and not as "tech" founded.
              1. FPC w/ a 9000rpm redline. This sets this hot rod apart. We all want to hear it scream......
              2. High performance/ louder exhaust. Nothing like stating your presence like a loud....flowing exhaust
              3. Body that states Z06. I would want a Z06 to "STAND OUT" not only in performance but also in looks so you know when you roll up to it...its not your standard C8
              4. For me would want a more stated wing.....active is understated and the Z06 should be loud visually imho.
              5. Definitely, a better selection of wheels....w/ 20" and 21's they will make the look.
              Good post my friend. That is exactly what I will be looking forward to when I snag my C8 Z06. Not a matter of if, but when for me.

Comment

Thanks @John!
                Likewise @joemessman...same for me....I'm in on the list with a deposit for the future Z06. Not even a question!

Comment

Interesting. That no one yet seems to care whether the Z06 to be tunable. Definitely not a top five characteristic. Or not a characteristic at all. How much adjustment flex will be inherent in the Z6. Then how much extrinsic tune will be a "feature" of the car. Limit tune and protect future variants.

Comment

SheepDog I'm one of those who wants a tunable C8, but I won't risk the drivetrain warranty on a motor that spins that high. This engine and DCT will be new territory for GM. At 600+ HP it will hit my desired performance benchmarks too.

VCB I'm in the minority, but I don't need my Z06 to stick out. Subtle works for me. The FPC wail will alert the public to which car it is.
                    Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4. Bumped to a 2021.

Comment

For all those who are wanting a tune-able Z06 motor, the dealership cost to replace a blown C7 Z06 motor was $28,600. We did close to 40 mods on our C7 Z06 but did not touch the ECU, nor any part of the powertrain except for MGW quick shifter.

We each get to choose what we mod...
                      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Forgot to add, GM please make the Z06 SOUND like a true FPC V8. Ford messed with the firing order, intake, and exhaust to make the Voodoo sound more like a CPC V8. It was a disappointment I had with my previous GT350.

Comment

Ragtop 99 "The FPC wail will alert the public to which car it is.[/QUOTE]

I'm w you on that brother!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X