Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

POLL: ME C8’s Taillights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: ME C8’s Taillights

These taillights sure look like production version ones (a judgment that is pretty much all over the internet today).

Click image for larger version  Name:	727C2690-5925-4B49-8BDF-420E0671AB9F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	166.5 KB ID:	18353

Assuming they are the 2020 C8 production ones:
    Please, no; I want round taillights and do not like these
    0%
    I prefer round taillights, but if not, I could live with them
    0%
    I am so over round taillights; could get used to these
    2.38%
    I like them a fair amount
    11.90%
    I really like them!
    71.43%
    I’m smitten, like the crush I had on my first date!!!
    14.29%
    Last edited by John; 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

A note about sequential turn signals.

It likely won't be individual LED's lighting up in sequence like some Euro cars, although possibly each whole light could come on sequentially, although I can't quite see that.

US rules require that the first light to come on be a certain brightness, and the individual LED won't do it.

I know this because the VW Golf R in NA has conventional turn signals whereas the Euro cars have sequential LEDs. Thus creating a whole industry devoted to the importation of Euro lights, together with wiring harness and programming.
    2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
    2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
    Spectra Grey Tridents.
    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

The last option is great lol. I really like them. They have a new and exciting look while still resembling the taillights of the C7 (which I love)

Comment

I agree totally Bluevette, that they are an evolution of the C7’s, yet distinctly different and exciting enough to fit nicely on the C8. Fun; fun!
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
          A note about sequential turn signals.

It likely won't be individual LED's lighting up in sequence like some Euro cars, although possibly each whole light could come on sequentially, although I can't quite see that.

US rules require that the first light to come on be a certain brightness, and the individual LED won't do it.
          Thanks Bikerjulio. Learned something new from your post. However, if Mustang can have sequential turn signals, light by light, we sure could too.

Comment

They don't look stupid lit up. I like that about them. That and they are a slight modification to existing C7 rear taillights and I like those also.

Comment

D and F. I am so over round lights, and I really like these.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Like the round on my C4. Love the design on the C7.

Comment

The tails look good, IMO.

Comment

As much I loved the tail lights on my C4 & C5, IMHO round is gone forever on newer Corvettes - like the C7, new model(s), new lights.

Comment

Looks awesome. Bring the c8 officially already..

Comment

UPDDATE/CORRECTION:

In the winter of 2013, just after the reveal, I spend some time going over Corvettes sales from every year, and at that time, non-round Corvette taillights were 38+% of Corvettes total sales. At that time approx 1,750,000 new Corvettes had been sold. Thus of those,1,085,000 Corvettes had had round taillights.

Since then,148,000 Corvettes (C7’s) have been sold. I estimate another 10,000 C7’s willl be sold next year during a partial C7 production year.

So by the time the C7 generation is over (my opinion), 823,000 Corvettes will have been sold, out of roughly 1,900,000 Corvettes, with non round taillights, e.g., around 44% non-round taillight cars.

Therefore at some point in the first mid engine Corvette generation, we will reached the point where non round taillight Corvette will exceed the number of those made with round taillights.
                        Last edited by John; 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

From what I can see, I also like them. The only problem I have, and it's a big one, is the way they wrap around the side and come to a point on the rear fender panel.
                          '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                          '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                          '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                          '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                          '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                          '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

Due to the darkness and visibility, its not really easy to see them so I abstained from voting on any of the selections offered.

However, my vote is : "I'm sure they will be great!"

Comment

Originally posted by MidEngine View Post

Thanks Bikerjulio. Learned something new from your post. However, if Mustang can have sequential turn signals, light by light, we sure could too.
                              This article explains how Audi and Mustang satisfied the regs. Nothing like as nice as the Euro signals though. They use a large conventional flasher for legality and a row of sequential LEDs for effect in the case of Audi. Mustang just uses 3 large lights of which only the first is for the legal requirement.

If you've been behind a brand new Audi recently, you've probably noticed that a portion of the turn signal lights up in a little line that shows what direction the car is turning. If you put on the left turn signal, the line starts from the inside portion of the signal and stretches outwards, towards the left side of the car, indicating a left turn. It's genius.

Except ... it's illegal.

According to federal regulations, this sort of turn signal isn't allowed, for one simple reason: The regulation governs precisely how much turn signal must illuminate as the signal is turned on, and a little directional line isn't enough lit surface area in the first "flash" of the turn signal. I'm not sure exactly how much surface area has to be lit in that first flash, but it's not a small figure. If you want your turn signals to light up in sequence, the first light has to be very large -- which is how the Ford Mustang gets away with its distinctive repeating turn signals, all of which are rather large. But a "line" of light isn't enough surface area in that very first flash.
                              https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...ignal-r-267844

Table IV of the regs indicate a minimum luminous area of 5000 sq mm equivalent to about 2" x 4" for the rear turn signal lamp.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e49.6.571_1108
                              Last edited by Bikerjulio; 12-08-2018, 09:18 AM.
                              2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
                              Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                              2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
                              Spectra Grey Tridents.
                              Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X