Service Keyless Start System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Keyless Start System

I have this "Service Keyless Start System" moments after taking delivery. Tried replacing the key fob battery but still shows up. I can double-press to remote start, but proximity key does not work - I can't unlock by just tapping the door button. Is there a way to reset?

Thanks!

Sorry you are having this issue. Might be simple, so if I might please recommend what would be must first step: I would place the key fob you first used to approach your car into a metal box (or inside three layers of aluminum foil). BTW, GM fobs have literally a 197’ range. Then click on the steering wheel’s round small shiny metal “wheel” on the right side to dismiss that warning.

Having that way “disabled” that first fob by putting it into the box, thereby eliminating it for any involvement, I would next try approaching the car with the second fob. If that were to solve the problem, you have a defective first fob OR the new battery you installed into the first fob is also defective.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If that first post process does not work, even though as your OP is how one would re-set the system, as you just got your car I would not do this instead having the dealership run a complete diagnostic.

But as to how one specifically would re-set the system, it is similar to re-booting a computer by turning it off and then on again. Specifically, you would disconnect the negative lead on the battery for five minutes, then reconnect it.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        If that first post process does not work, even though as your OP is how one would re-set the system, as you just got your car I would not do this instead having the dealership run a complete diagnostic.

But as to how one specifically would re-set the system, it is similar to re-booting a computer by turning it off and then on again. Specifically, you would disconnect the negative lead on the battery for five minutes, then reconnect it.
        I might have found the culprit. I plugged the battery tender and found that the battery is likely low. I guess this is due to three weeks of parking at BGAP lot. I’ll see if I can trickle charge it to full. Thanks for all your tips!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Update: Nope, I took it out for a 60-mile drive hoping that it would charge the battery up, it does not. Still the same problem

Comment

Unfortunately, it is confirmed by the dealer as a short in the antenna and the wiring harness... covered by warranty, of course, but it stings! Also, no parts are available yet... (Maybe I'll pay for the DCT oil so they can also put in at the same time too)

Comment

I hope someone at GMs QC are taking note and adding these numerous Gremlins to the post build QC Checklist.
              Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
              Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                I hope someone at GMs QC are taking note and adding these numerous Gremlins to the post build QC Checklist.
                It also would not show up in Transport Mode screen, and it would not show up unless you hit "Dismiss" after "Key 1 (or Key 2) in use" message. So, easy to skip that during "QC" or PDI until you really clear all the messages. Sighhh...

CORRECTION: About the keyless antenna location, it's in the frunk, not by the airbox in the trunk. They will disconnect the antenna and the wiring harness for now (they said it was melting), so no lights in the frunk and no "kids-storage" ejector button
                Last edited by KK87; 08-18-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
                  Symptom: Service Keyless Start System message, car cannot be unlocked with keyless (cannot just leave key in pocket and touch the opening pad to unlock) -- remote click can still unlock or start

Here's a rundown of what happened and what the technician told me...
                  1) The keyless passive antenna in the front part of frunk liner is short - needs replacement
                  2) The wiring connector to the antenna was very hot
                  3) The wiring harness goes around from the antenna to the back part of the frunk liner - needs replacement
                  4) He tested a connector to the keyless antenna with a voltmeter, the connector is bad - there is a short wire somewhere
                  5) For the time being, only the antenna is disconnected - car still functioning otherwise (everything else still needs to be connected otherwise "Hood Ajar" warning will appear, frunk cannot be open at all except with the cable release in the footwell, and 82 MPH max speed)
                  6) Parts on order, no ETA

Me: Meh, IDGAF, car still drives! I like clicking the remote to unlock or click to start the engine and let the fluids flow for 30 seconds before approaching the car anyway! Only annoying message...

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but could this short circuit also be part of the frunkgate too???

Comment

Originally posted by KK87 View Post

Symptom: Service Keyless Start System message, car cannot be unlocked with keyless (cannot just leave key in pocket and touch the opening pad to unlock) -- remote click can still unlock or start

Here's a rundown of what happened and what the technician told me...
                    1) The keyless passive antenna in the front part of frunk liner is short - needs replacement
                    2) The wiring connector to the antenna was very hot
                    3) The wiring harness goes around from the antenna to the back part of the frunk liner - needs replacement
                    4) He tested a connector to the keyless antenna with a voltmeter, the connector is bad - there is a short wire somewhere
                    5) For the time being, only the antenna is disconnected - car still functioning otherwise (everything else still needs to be connected otherwise "Hood Ajar" warning will appear, frunk cannot be open at all except with the cable release in the footwell, and 82 MPH max speed)
                    6) Parts on order, no ETA

Me: Meh, IDGAF, car still drives! I like clicking the remote to unlock or click to start the engine and let the fluids flow for 30 seconds before approaching the car anyway! Only annoying message...

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but could this short circuit also be part of the frunkgate too???

GM just issued another recall and OTA update to address what it thinks is the frunkgate issue. It's a software update only, so it will not solve this use case from the sounds of it. They're making the push duration on the door and the frunk switches longer to open the frunk and limiting the speed the car can drive at with the frunk unlatched.
                    Last edited by pksjc; 08-18-2020, 09:16 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by pksjc View Post

GM just issued another recall and OTA update to address what it thinks is the frunkgate issue. It's a software update only, so it will not solve this use case from the sounds of it. They're making the push duration on the door and the frunk switches longer to open the frunk and limiting the speed the car can drive at with the frunk unlatched.
                      What made me think about that was: when my tech disconnected everything - including the part of the ejector button on the same wiring harness as the antenna, the DIC message read "Hood Ajar 82 MPH Top Speed" even when the hood is closed, and no button will open the front hood except using the manual cable. So, he had to put everything back together with just the antenna unplugged. I may just try OTA update AFTER the antenna is finally fixed. I'm concerned at the moment that if I do the update, then it could lock me permanently at 29 MPH!

Comment

Originally posted by KK87 View Post

What made me think about that was: when my tech disconnected everything - including the part of the ejector button on the same wiring harness as the antenna, the DIC message read "Hood Ajar 82 MPH Top Speed" even when the hood is closed, and no button will open the front hood except using the manual cable. So, he had to put everything back together with just the antenna unplugged. I may just try OTA update AFTER the antenna is finally fixed. I'm concerned at the moment that if I do the update, then it could lock me permanently at 29 MPH!
                        That's a good point you bring up with the wiring harness. Hope they're not related.... Otherwise, the software upgrade may not be fixing all of the issues. I guess we'll see if any new cases pop up with this OTA update going out to all existing C8 owners. Best of luck and hope they fix it for your C8.

Comment

KK87, glad at least the problem has been diagnosed. Now we all hope your wait for parts is less than feared, in fact quicker than that by far.

Comment

At 650 miles my C8 is reporting the remote start error. Everything still works normal and it reports the error with either key. It started right after I tried to start the car without the key in my pocket. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but it is quite a coincidence if it's not the cause. I went into the house and got my key and that's when the error first started...

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
                              At 650 miles my C8 is reporting the remote start error. Everything still works normal and it reports the error with either key. It started right after I tried to start the car without the key in my pocket. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but it is quite a coincidence if it's not the cause. I went into the house and got my key and that's when the error first started...
                              Mine started at 7 miles on the clock!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X