MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Major MECF Maintenance “Outage”

Sorry but please read this this major TIME OUT for MECF! Our forum software provider will undergo a scheduled maintenance from 3:00 PM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time on Thursday September 24th, 2020. The site will be offline during this maintenance period.
2 of 5 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
3 of 5 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
4 of 5 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

Recommended SD card size for PDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended SD card size for PDR

I'm wondering how many hours one can get on an SD card and what size I should purchase so as to leave it running and check it once a week type thing.
    Roughly 1 hour of 1080p video at 5 mb/s is about 3 gb. So a 256 gb card would hold around 85 hours.
    Has anyone confirmed the amount of video a card will hold?
    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
    3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

I'd like to know this as well.

I picked up a 256gb card for the Vette and a good friend (photographer), said he no longer uses large gb cards because of the risk of losing content, he recommends a 64gb card max and just buy several of them and save content often. Although I agree with his logic, that is just one more thing I have to try and keep track of LOL. I would like to know how much time we can get per gb.
    My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible, 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Convertible and I am looking forward to my first Corvette C8, just in time for my 50th.

Comment

Recommended SD card size for PDR

Good question Murray. I'm on the cusp of getting my C8 and will need to deal with this issue. I assume an SD card does not come with the car.

My idea of use of the PDR is similar to yours. I'd like it to run automatically when I drive the car and be used as a car cam recording whats in the PDR's field of view. I'd like it to record a chunk of video and let it be automatically written over as it gets full and I can stop it and retrieve video if there is an instance recorded that I want to preserve.

I've never used something like that in a car so I have a learning curve. My only experience with SDs is using it in my trail cam at my ADK camp to "catch" wild animals roaming by.
      Last edited by Boomer; 07-31-2020, 07:34 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I'm lazy and just picked up whatever Costco was selling. Two pack of high speed 128GB cards for pretty cheap.

Comment

This is what CaryBob said in another thread when I asked about how much PDR data would fit on a 64GB card:

“Roughly 1,540 minutes on a 64GB card.

I’ve used both 32 and 64 in my C7 (which does not automatically overwrite when full, as does the C8) and either is enough for a whole track weekend or a very lengthy road trip.”

Comment

Just checked mine and at high rez it's around 330 minutes on a 32 G (really 29.7 G) card.

The number above must be at low rez.
            2020 C8 Corvette
            Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
            2LT, Z51 + MRC
            Spectra Grey Tridents
            Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
              Just checked mine and at high rez it's around 330 minutes on a 32 G (really 29.7 G) card.

The number above must be at low rez.
              I don’t think there’s a resolution choice in the C7. Or at least there isn’t in my 2015 C7.
              Convertible Long Beach Red/Natural, 3LT, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Front Lift, FA5 Carbon Fiber Trim, Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents, 5ZZ High Wing, D84 Carbon Flash Top & Nacelles, ZYC Carbon Flash Mirrors, 3N9 Tan Belts, VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

This is the card I'm using. It comes pre-formatted - just push it into the slot in the glove box and you're good to go. More info here: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/07...ecorder-video/
                Click image for larger version

Name:	sd.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	173609
                My C8:
                '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                  This is the card I'm using. It comes pre-formatted - just push it into the slot in the glove box and you're good to go.
                  So how you using it? Dash recorder? Does it write over?

Comment

Is this the same card that we used in C7 Vettes??

Comment

You can set up your pdr recording the way you want it. I have it set to on every time the car is powered on. and it is saved . . you can review all past recordings as well. with the 256 GB card there is plenty of space.. once your near full you can replace the card , or delete the data or download to your computer and then clear it and re-use again. Its a phenomenal feature

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

So how you using it? Dash recorder? Does it write over?
                        Yes, it's set-up for dash cam type operation, with Track Mode data superimposed, and the oldest files get over-written.

Setting up the PDR is really easy.
                        My C8:
                        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

Yes, it's set-up for dash cam type operation, with Track Mode data superimposed, and the oldest files get over-written.

Setting up the PDR is really easy.
                          Perfect. Just ordered the one shown in your post #8 from Amazon. $37. It says just one left in stock. If thats true we just grabbed it! Thanks Mobius

Comment

Originally posted by JRC8Z06 View Post
                            Is this the same card that we used in C7 Vettes??
                            Any class 10 card should be OK. Format is different.

In the other forum, the SD card thread was messed up by people posting all kinds of erroneous and misleading information based on an assumption that the C8 PDR system was the same as the C7 system. It's not. And the same kind of thing is creeping in to this one.

The cards in the C8 are exFAT formatted, not FAT32. exFAT takes away the capacity limitations of FAT32.

Also the C8 PDR has a high resolution (recommended), setting making capacity comparisons wrong.

Most if not all cards come pre-formatted to exFAT now. After you plug it in the system will read the card info and tell you if there is a problem. You can always format the card in the car as well.

I'd also highly recommend using the dashcam feature. Set it once and forget. It's already paid for itself in my case!
                            Last edited by Bikerjulio; 08-01-2020, 06:40 AM.
                            2020 C8 Corvette
                            Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                            2LT, Z51 + MRC
                            Spectra Grey Tridents
                            Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

Here is the card that Mobius is using on Amazon.ca for us Canuks
                              Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                              2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                              Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                              3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X