MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Interviews Harlan Charles Re The C8 & More: ON NOW

What a wonderful Corvette Today podcast!!! Steve Garrett sits down with Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...enea/a-a2qtt60. Harlan talks about his early years with Chevrolet and how he became Product Manager for Corvette. He also discusses the cohesive work done by the entire Corvette team-from C5 through C8.  You'll learn about the evolution of the new mid-engine C8 Corvette and the steps taken to bring it to market. Plus, Harlan delves into the launch of the C8, the development of the strategy behind the mid-engine car.
See more
See less

Can't get anywhere near 2.9 second 0-60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VicH View Post

Yes, I'm in Utah, at about 4,500' elevation. And good point on the road debris/tar/conditions.
    I think the elevation is your problem. I am getting 3.0 in my base 1LT at sea level
    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Originally posted by C8Jake View Post
      2.7's my best 👈
      Don't forget to post a picture of your dash showing your 0-60 times. You would want anyone doubting your claim!!
      NCM Life Time Member since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Denizen View Post
        I may have missed it but I didn't see you mention Launch Control?

Simply flooring it is not going to get you there. The quoted 5 mph-60 mph time is 3.5 seconds.

You may not be in Launch Control mode unless you are pushing very hard on the brake pedal. A regular push doesn't cut it apparently.

If you already are doing this then disregard, otherwise give it a try and report back.
        If you are in launch control mode, are the revs automatically keeping it at the optimum RPM when you floor it? This would make sense to do for perfect starts, and would be telling if you are in it or not.

Comment

Yes, if in launch control and you have your foot so firmly planted on the brake pedal to almost try to push it through the firewall, it will max rev at 3,600 RPM.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by JB

Electric hybrid and or turbos would solve the elevation concern.

im thinking and I have no idea but I do not believe you activated launch control.

id double check that as ~3.5 without launch control sounds about right and then add the altitude for a loss of an estimated .5 to .7 seconds.

i dont have the car yet but 3.6 at your altitude would expected even with launch control on a naturally aspirated motor.

your car is still fabulous and every naturally aspirated motor suffers at such an altitude.

forced induction and or electric is your friend at such altitudes.

btw i always though zero to sixty in 4 seconds is fast in my 450 hp c6 z51 manual and Im very near sea level.

i always laugh though when I think of moving and if a high altitude area comes to the discussion...i think to myself...forced induction...

thats how you know we are car crazy people.
            Thanks. Please look at my original post describing the steps I went through. AFAIK I did things correctly to engage launch control.

Comment

Well FYI last night on a downhill on-ramp I managed to get down to 3 seconds.

Comment

Maybe try a bottle of sea level atmospheric pressure added to your intake box.... you can get at local auto parts store 😜
                2021 2LT HTC, front lift, MRCS, GT2 natural seats, Perf. exh and all wrapped in Zeus Bronze riding on aftermarket wheels 😎

Comment

Well FYI last night on a downhill on-ramp I managed to get down to 3 seconds.
                  Why don't you post a short clip of a video from your PDR? I'm sure that folks here will be able to tell from the sound of the engine whether you've used launch control correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post
                    Maybe try a bottle of sea level atmospheric pressure added to your intake box.... you can get at local auto parts store 😜
                    atmosphere in a bottle...aka...nitrous. Solves the problem; DCT cluthces not included.
                    Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4. Bumped to a 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by C8Jake View Post
                      2.7's my best 👈
                      I didn't think you had your C8 yet. Did you get it!?

Comment

Thanks. Please look at my original post describing the steps I went through. AFAIK I did things correctly to engage launch control.

im betting your altitude is the big obstacle. Still to be sure you are engaging launch control correctly you dont actually have to even launch it. Go out and do all the steos and with your foot on the brake you should becable to free rev the throttle up to 3500rpm and hold it uo against that 3500rpm two step rev limiter. If it wont go past 1500rpm its not properly engaged.

Comment

Even if the net size of the wheel / tire hasn't changed much from stock, the wheels themselves are bigger. Unless they are super light weight, that can easily slow you down. There was a post of a dragster build a while back that was using 15" rear wheels for faster acceleration

Comment

Are you actually in launch control ie getting 3500 rpm then taking your foot off the brake to launch it? You mentioned the steps, but didn't seem like you understood the process(to be fair I didn't read every post). I've got 3.2 just punching it at a light. Launch control is always 3.0-3.1 and spinning in first (haven't found that perfect road yet). In Utah in the valley you're probably losing 15% horse power and way more up by Park or Heber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200722_202615.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	174024

2 230+ lb dudes 2200 ft DA

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                              Go on a downward slop like the others are doing.
                              0-60? I like to go from 60 on up! No ones races from a dig on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post
                                One of the BIG factors of the 0-60 times for the C8 is the low gear ratio. The other main ones are of course the horsepower, weight, DCT shift times and lack of power interruption between shifts, and rear wheel weight bias with the mid-engine configuration.

As others have said above, the larger diameter tires you installed changes your final gear ratio. This higher overall gear ratio is thereby diminishing one of the major factors of the C8s normal, and outstanding, 0-60 times.
                                Well LOL if he only went up 1% as he posted then the car is a weak sister if it kills a second (25%) off of the time. Something else is going on. I run larger tires on all of the trucks and Jeeps I have ever owned over. Not that big of a deal---1%---never notice the difference.

OP needs to post the new rear tire size. Just takes a second to run the converter. Been using this one for about 20 years at least.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X