MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
2 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
3 of 4 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

Can't get anywhere near 2.9 second 0-60

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't get anywhere near 2.9 second 0-60

    Hey gang,

    So I'm closing in on 8,000 miles on my C8. I've got the Z51 package, Vossen HF-3 wheels and larger tires. Recently I've started playing around with the 0-60 timer in the car, but my issue is I can't seem to get even remotely close to the published performance acceleration number.

    The fastest time I've managed is 3.9 seconds, and when I did that I just floored it from a red light with the car in Track mode, I didn't even use launch control. That was my first attempt. After that I've tried the foot on the brake and accelerator and then lift off the brake in Track mode, and couldn't manage under 4 seconds. After that I did some reading and did the following:
    • Track Mode
    • Hit the Traction Control button twice
    • Selected Race mode from the menu picks that came up (I assume that's "Competition" mode - no such mode appeared)
    • Feet on brake and accelerator
    • Release brake
    No difference, couldn't get under 4 seconds. My best time remains the time I just floored it from a red light in Track mode. It's the first thing that's disappointed me about the car.

    Other than that I'm still loving the car!

    Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Are you warming the tires up a little before your attempts?
    "07/01/20 Placed deposit on 2021 C8 Coupe: 08/01/20 Preliminary order placed in GM Workbench: 2LT: G9F: FE2: NPP: VST: VDK: R8C"

    Comment


    • #3
      How much do the Vossen wheels weigh compared to stock? Are they the stock diameter or larger? You said the tires are bigger. In what way? Width, or diameter? Larger diameter wheels / tires change the effective gear ratio, and will slow acceleration. Heavier wheels / tires will add to that.

      Have you tried it on different surfaces? If the surface isn't smooth and clean, that could slow the car some, as traction control will limit power to prevent wheel spin.

      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

      Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >36,000 miles

      Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

      Never grow up - It's a trap.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would check out Speed Phenom on YouTube. He best is 2.6. I think he goes over all the settings and does a "how to" in one of his videos. If my C8 ever arrives I'll do a step by step video on launching the vette.
        NCM Life Time Member since 1997
        2020 CMGM with red/black int.and Suede Trim, TPW 10/19, now 10/26, 2LT, Z51, Mag Ride, GT-2 Seats, Carbon Flash wheels/mirrors/wing, Front Lift, Red Calipers, and Engine pkg. This 2020 will be Corvette # 20.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd be curious to know the rolling radius of your new tires - you can often find this on the TireRack website. One way to know if the rolling radius is meaningfully different than the OEM tires is that your speedometer will be off...
          Last edited by Mobius; 08-02-2020, 08:36 AM. Reason: typo
          My C8:
          '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

          Current Vettes:
          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
          '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

          Comment


          • #6
            2.7's my best 👈
            Last edited by C8Jake; 07-31-2020, 10:50 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Go on a downward slop like the others are doing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by VicH View Post
                Hey gang,

                So I'm closing in on 8,000 miles on my C8. I've got the Z51 package, Vossen HF-3 wheels and larger tires. Recently I've started playing around with the 0-60 timer in the car, but my issue is I can't seem to get even remotely close to the published performance acceleration number.

                The fastest time I've managed is 3.9 seconds, and when I did that I just floored it from a red light with the car in Track mode, I didn't even use launch control. That was my first attempt. After that I've tried the foot on the brake and accelerator and then lift off the brake in Track mode, and couldn't manage under 4 seconds. After that I did some reading and did the following:
                • Track Mode
                • Hit the Traction Control button twice
                • Selected Race mode from the menu picks that came up (I assume that's "Competition" mode - no such mode appeared)
                • Feet on brake and accelerator
                • Release brake
                No difference, couldn't get under 4 seconds. My best time remains the time I just floored it from a red light in Track mode. It's the first thing that's disappointed me about the car.

                Other than that I'm still loving the car!

                Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

                Thanks
                I hope you kept the receipt!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by VicH View Post
                  Hey gang,

                  Any suggestions?
                  Thanks
                  Yes. Bring me your car! I'll drive it for a few weeks and give you a full report on how to do better.

                  Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

                  C8 HTC with Z51 FE4. Bumped to a 2021.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                    How much do the Vossen wheels weigh compared to stock? Are they the stock diameter or larger? You said the tires are bigger. In what way? Width, or diameter? Larger diameter wheels / tires change the effective gear ratio, and will slow acceleration. Heavier wheels / tires will add to that.

                    Have you tried it on different surfaces? If the surface isn't smooth and clean, that could slow the car some, as traction control will limit power to prevent wheel spin.
                    Adding to the tire diameter, if it is higher the speedometer is off and you'll hit 60 before the car realizes it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the replies.

                      Tires were warm. New tires are slightly wider and larger diameter, but when I went online to calculate the speedometer difference it amounted to no more than 1%.

                      Thanks for the Speed Phenom recommendation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think executing my 0-60 time would be great experience ... but after that, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.
                        Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
                        Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VicH View Post
                          Thanks for the replies.

                          Tires were warm. New tires are slightly wider and larger diameter, but when I went online to calculate the speedometer difference it amounted to no more than 1%.

                          Thanks for the Speed Phenom recommendation.
                          Are you performing the launches in both directions of the road in case there is a slight incline? The age of the tar and amount of loose gravel or oils that have ended up on it could affect this too. Although, besides the gravel I wouldn't think it would make THAT much of a difference, unless the incline were obvious.

                          Edit: Also elevation could. I assume you aren't high up in mountains?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            One of the BIG factors of the 0-60 times for the C8 is the low gear ratio. The other main ones are of course the horsepower, weight, DCT shift times and lack of power interruption between shifts, and rear wheel weight bias with the mid-engine configuration.

                            As others have said above, the larger diameter tires you installed changes your final gear ratio. This higher overall gear ratio is thereby diminishing one of the major factors of the C8s normal, and outstanding, 0-60 times.
                            Last edited by Shepherd777; 07-31-2020, 11:41 AM.
                            Bob Sliwa
                            "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model 3, pulled up on the right......."
                            Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
                            2020 C8 - ELB Event Status 6000. Home!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 427racing View Post
                              I would check out Speed Phenom on YouTube. He best is 2.6. I think he goes over all the settings and does a "how to" in one of his videos. If my C8 ever arrives I'll do a step by step video on launching the vette.
                              I've been trying this in Track mode, which when you hit the Traction Control button twice, actually defaults to Wet mode, and then I have to scroll right to go to Race mode. I just noticed that if I do it in Sport mode, then the Competition mode does appear. Next time I'm going to try this in Sport instead of Track, although it doesn't make sense to me that I'd get better performance in Sport than Track.

                              I'll try it next time I have an opportunity and will report back.

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X