MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
2 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
3 of 4 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

quick c7 vs c8 impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick c7 vs c8 impressions

Finally got the c8 over the weekend. 200 miles so far. Here are some observations.
    1. Exhaust - C7's NPP is louder and seemingly "angrier", the c8 is tame in Sports, even when revved hard (OK, i'm still in breakin, so i didn't rev it that hard)
    2. Top open quietness - with the top open, Windows up, the C8 is quieter, and you can hold a normal conversation, the C7 was much harder
    3. Steering feel - the c8 feels more nimble, i don't know if this is just 6 months of not having the c7 playing tricks on me, but i felt the c8 move faster than the c7 with less movement of the steering wheel
    4. Top closed sound levels - oddly more quiet than the c7, even with the engine behind. I couldn't really understand it.
    5. Sound system - my z51 c8 sound system blows the c7 one away, way clearer than the c8
    6. visibility - i don't know how i could drive the c8 without the camera rear-view mirror... seriously folks, this is essential. The blind spots are scary.. c7 wins here
    7. Getting in and out - my garage is a tight squeeze - in the same space as the c7, the c8 takes up more width, possibly because of the way the door angles into the vents, the door is thick because of that, and it's hard to ingress/egress... have to roll down the side windows in order to make it safely all the time
    8. climate control - OMG, the c8 chills, today was an 80s day, and the c7 with top down would struggle, the c8 was like a champ, it even got cold... nice!

other stuff
    1. love the lift! i keep pressing it even when i'm pretty sure i would clear the bump hate the "save to memory" function, as it's hard to trigger after you hit the lift button - they should just have made double click the lift button to remember... instead i have to reach for the steering wheel right navigation buttons to hit left.... hard to pull off (and the ask to remember dissapears so fast!)
    2. my c7 did not have mag ride, but i thought the c8 rode stiffer even in tour mode... so not sure how to compare
    3. c7 didn't have PDR, i'm using the c8 PDR to record all the time aka dashcam - however it seems to keep the videos as one huge file per trip!!! i was expecting it to break it into smaller pieces like a regular dashcam... is there a setting?

overall, loving the car! worth the 13 month wait. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3062.jpg Views:	0 Size:	768.4 KB ID:	171419
    Last edited by Jericho; 07-27-2020, 12:56 AM.
    SOLD!! Before - 2014 C7 2LT Grey with Kalahari Interior and NPP
    Now - 2020 C8 2LT Torch Red Z51 with Adrenaline Red interior, Mag Ride, front lift, and Q8Q Wheels TPW 3/2 but delayed due to COVID-19 😥 Finally built 6/1/2020!!! 😎 at train depot 6/29/2020.. made it to dealer on 7/22/2020. Picked up 7/25/2020. From order to delivery.. ~13 months

Grats on the new vette Jericho, she's a beaut! Your review reaffirms my belief that the C8 is a great car and worth the wait. I think the quietness comes from the fact that the exhaust doesn't travel through the center tunnel like the C7 did, also helps to explain why the cabin is colder as well. The thick glass separating you from the engine also makes things a lot quieter too.
    Last edited by khanmark; 07-27-2020, 12:53 AM.

Mark

- Just when you think you can't dig your hole any deeper, they throw the shovel in at you -

Comment

My order is just like yours except for the glass roof. Beautiful car. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
        My order is just like yours except for the glass roof. Beautiful car. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of mine.
        You’ll love it. Your post reminded me of another difference
        9. glass roof - the c8 roof is smaller than the c7 but seems to be heavier!! At least it felt more unwieldy to lift off to the side (single person). I had the c7 top removal down to a science, but get clumsy with the c8 top every time...
        Now - 2020 C8 2LT Torch Red Z51 with Adrenaline Red interior, Mag Ride, front lift, and Q8Q Wheels TPW 3/2 but delayed due to COVID-19 😥 Finally built 6/1/2020!!! 😎 at train depot 6/29/2020.. made it to dealer on 7/22/2020. Picked up 7/25/2020. From order to delivery.. ~13 months

Comment

Here are the C8 roof weights thanks to Jeremy Welborn.

Roof Weights:

14 lbs - Carbon Fiber Top

15.5 lbs - Body Color Painted Top

17 lbs - Transparent Top
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Here are the C8 roof weights thanks to Jeremy Welborn.

Roof Weights:

14 lbs - Carbon Fiber Top

15.5 lbs - Body Color Painted Top

17 lbs - Transparent Top
            anyone happen to have the weight for the transparent top on the c7?
            btw, i was tentative about the transparent top after i ordered, as it heated up my c7 in the past, but on the c8 i don't regret it at all - it's still hot under the sun, but just like on the c7, it adds to the "open air but not" feeling..

Comment

Great read Jericho and when you get your head out of the C8 cloud, sent me a PM so we can get together.

Cheers, PB
              Previous Vettes '59, '61, 62. Current toys, 1973 Vega Wagon, SBC 355, 600hp and a GM LS1 powered 1992 Mazda Miata, aka Panic Button.

On order, 2020 C8 Corvette Stingray Coupe, 3LT, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, Full-Length Dual Racing Stripe, Jet Black Napa Leather with Adrenaline Red Stitch, Magnetic Ride, Front Lift, Chrome Exterior Badge Package, Battery Protection.

Current status, 3000, TPW 11/2 as of 9/82020.

Comment

The C7’s transparent top was heavier, but maybe by a pound or so. Interesting vis-a-vis your OP, the C8’s top is about 2 1/2” shorter so it theoretically should be easier to remove/replace. I have not had my standard C8 top out yet so I can speak from personal experience.

I just researched C7 top weights and they were 16# for the visible CF version, 17# for the standard body colored version and 21# for the transparent top.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  I just researched C7 top weights and they were 16# for the visible CF version, 17# for the standard body colored version and 21# for the transparent top.
                  Thanks John, which is why I found it odd when I lifted the top off the c8 and it felt oddly more awkward... perhaps the many months of not having my c7 may have skewed my memory.

Comment

10. Overall storage is ‘shorter’ than the c7 and I miss putting random stuff behind me (I still momentarily try.. 😁) however, the frunk is great for take out food no more smells in the car that lingers for days 😆

also I just can't help wanting to drive it everywhere... takeout from almost an hour away, sure!

Click image for larger version  Name:	D99EBF7C-BB57-4B58-B8E9-4B6740CA2746.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.89 MB ID:	171750
                    Last edited by Jericho; 07-27-2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jericho View Post

Thanks John, which is why I found it odd when I lifted the top off the c8 and it felt oddly more awkward... perhaps the many months of not having my c7 may have skewed my memory.
                      It's not you! When I struggled to get my roof off last week, I was worried that I might not be able to get it reinstalled by myself. May be lighter than the C7 panel, but definitely harder to manipulate.

Comment

I always tell people my C8 makes my old C7 feel like a 70s Corvette.

As to the lift memory, the only issue I have with saving a location is it's a bit of a hassle to save if the steering wheel is turned as you angle into a driveway. The lift is one of my favorite things about the car as well.

Honestly, I've got close to 8,000 miles on mine already and after that much driving I still think Chevy has done a magnificent job with the C8. I have a Mercedes AMG GLC 43 and have to say that the controls/menus in the C8 are much more intuitive, better laid out, and easier to use. My only minor complaint would be the navigation system, which I tried to use early on but it just doesn't measure up to Google Maps. It's annoying that you can't type while driving (even though I understand the logic), because when I tried to speak a location in the system seems SUPER clueless and can't figure out what seems to be the most simple nearby locations.

Comment

Big difference, I never drove a C7 and enjoy hearing your reactions.
                          a couple of dissenting opinions:
                          The 10 speaker Bose system is enough. I sat in the 14 speaker system, fiddled with it, and couldnt hear the difference.
                          If your mirrors are adjusted properly there is no blind spot, and you dont need a camera to see behind you. The rear view mirror is a narrow view, but shows all the lanes behind you.
                          Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Agreed with Lift memory function. However I find the memory function annoying at home because if I back the car up it starts raising etc so I deleted it and only do it manually at home now.

Comment

I have a different reaction, for even when it lifts when going backwards, it auto goes back down when I hit 24 MPH. And with my keeping it “set” for the original purpose, I never forget it.

It is nice that GM allows us each to decide whether to use the “auto lift by pre-set location“ option — and to do so location by location.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X