Fire Extinguisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Extinguisher

Any ideas on where/how to equip a C8 with a fire extinguisher?
    Thanks

Fire Extinguisher update:
    I was hoping that someone had found a way to mount the bracket in the frunk. I currently have the extinguisher in one of the pockets in the front cargo net with some soft weight support underneath.
    I have the H3R Performance 1.4 lb charge Mod. HG 100 (Halatron) extinguisher. purchased from Amazon (jegs) It is a little pricey, but is made in the USA, seems to be very well made, and looks good (chrome). The recommended recharge interval is six years, with no actual expiration date. The extinguisher and bracket measure approximately 10 1/2 long, 5 wide including handle. and 3 1/2 deep.
    Last edited by dkhink; 07-27-2020, 04:04 PM.

Not a specific answer to your question, but when I carried an extinguisher in my car my thought was that a fire is most likely to start in the engine bay, so I want it where I can be sure to get to it even if the engine is on fire - the opposite end of the car. I put it in the trunk. On a C8, I'd put it in the frunk.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Good thinking meyerweb. That’s the way we put fire extinguishers in our house (accessible but always far enough away from high risk items if they were to catch on fire).

Re the only second place I can thing of would be the cabin; however, one thing is for sure there is such limited room inside it that unless you were able to tuck it under and near the front of the seats (near your heels), I can not think of any other place in the cabin to put it (and then it would need to be of a specific limited size of course).

I like meyerweb’ s idea!
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

You should get a Halotron one (replacement for Halon), the chemicals in a regular extinguisher are very corrosive. They are pretty pricey though, $150 on Amazon.

Comment

I like the frunk for storing it also. Does anyone know if the Halotron ones have a shelf life and what it may be ?
          Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

Originally posted by KOPBET View Post
            I like the frunk for storing it also. Does anyone know if the Halotron ones have a shelf life and what it may be ?
            All I can find is requirements for aviation use, which says inspect monthly, and a pressure test at 6 years and 12 years, but those are to test the integrity of the cylinder.

https://www.h3raviation.com/support_faq_3.htm

This site says "internal examination" every 6 years.

https://blog.koorsen.com/co2-fire-ex...-extinguishers

I think that as long as it isn't damaged, and still shows adequate pressure, it's still good. But to be on the safe side, replace or have it inspected every 6 years.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

From my old 308 days we would build a bracket and attach it to the front of the passenger seat . Made out of 1/8" aluminum and bolted down using the front seat runner bolts. Then attach the extinguisher holder to the bracket. At that time we used Halon but now you can get it's substitute. Always wanted it handy because if it was a gas fire you need to get to it fast and there was no time to open the frunk (in the 308) and then open the rear engine cover.

Comment

In my Street Rod days, we had a Halon mounted horizontally in front of the passenger seat. There was enough room to still slide the seat on its tracks.
                3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by Strake View Post
                  In my Street Rod days, we had a Halon mounted horizontally in front of the passenger seat. There was enough room to still slide the seat on its tracks.
                  On my Porsches I used a B-K adaptor in the front of the passenger seat. I believe they will come up with a solution for the Vette soon, they are expensive and high quality
                  LT2; Ceramic Gray Metallic; HTM Trim Jet Black; 5ZZ LPO High Wing Spoiler (deleted by GM); T19 Seat Belt Color Black; AE4 Seat Competition Sport Bucket; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q 5-open spoke Carbon Flash; FE4 Suspension Z51 Magnetic Selective Ride Control; Z51 Performance package

Comment

I have a little bag in the frunk containing a pump, jumper cables, fire extinguisher and other small tools. My father, a pilot, always carried an extinguisher, and once I saw him put out an engine fire in someone elses car.
                    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

I fabricated an aluminum seat bracket for an H3 extinguisher. It mounts to the two studs that hold down the front of the passenger seat. It remains out of the way but is very accessible in an emergency. I painted it wrinkle black and made mounting brackets that loop to the rear and then come forward so the floor mat still fits properly. The only drawback is the seat must be kept in the rearward position (not a big deal). It still has a few inches of forward travel. Just in case I need to easliy remove it for cleaning, it has quick turn/thumb fasteners so it pops out in less than a minute and allows for full seat travel if needed.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mid Engine Matt; 09-16-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Matt,

Can you post a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Mid Engine Matt View Post
                          I fabricated an aluminum seat bracket for an H3 extinguisher. It mounts to the two studs that hold down the front of the passenger seat. It remains out of the way but is very accessible in an emergency. I painted it wrinkle black and made mounting brackets that loop to the rear and then come forward so the floor mat still fits properly. The only drawback is the seat must be kept in the rearward position (not a big deal). It still has a few inches of forward travel. Just in case I need to easliy remove it for cleaning, it has quick turn/thumb fasteners so it pops out in less than a minute and allows for full seat travel if needed.
                          Looks good for solo travel, I think it would not be well received by my wife though. Interior space is at somewhat of a premium in a sports car.

Comment

Was just thinking.... an engine fire in the HTC is gonna be hard to squirt at! I think with the trunk open there is a small space where you can see the engine - but not much.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

Looks good for solo travel, I think it would not be well received by my wife though. Interior space is at somewhat of a premium in a sports car.
                              It's not in the way at all. Not a single passenger has even noticed it. Now if your passengers feet are attached to their knees...that could be a problem.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X