Corvette possibly in danger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette possibly in danger?

So I was reading on multiple News Outlets that GM is closing multiple factories, and killing off multiple vehicles like XTS, IMPALA, LACROSSE, VOLT, CT6, CRUZE and some others as well. with this happening and there not being any more sightings of the ME mules running around( other than the ones we cant see at the GM proving grounds in AZ & MI) Could GM possibly put a halt to the ME car? I know GM is cutting sedans in favor for crossovers and SUV's but it is something to think about. Click image for larger version

Name:	FGGHJKGDHKHK.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16976

This would be a huge financial loss for GM. See what happened when Ford was thinking of sun setting the Mustang. Even with Ford's desire to eliminate sedans, they made it a point to say the the Mustang would continue.

Comment

The simple answer is no. The complicated answer is no. GM made a killing on the C7, and even with the turn away from sedans, the sports car segment, wihiledeclining somewhat, will continue to be here for a long time to come. GM’s projections on the ME are still, full speed ahead.
      Last edited by John; 11-26-2018, 02:04 PM.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

This might enhance the C8 over what we have thought so far.

"Increasing high-quality component sharing across the portfolio"

I choose to interpret this point in the GM press release to mean that the 2020 C8ME might have the DOHC engine developed for the Cadillac CT6 especially since the CT6 is on the list of vehicles to be discontinued.

Background info on the engine:

"The twin-turbo 4.2-liter V-8 is exclusive to Cadillac. Built from a blank slate with knowledge gained from General Motors’ racing programs, the new engine, known as Blackwing, makes 550 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 627 lb-ft of torque from 3200 to 4000 rpm."

Comment

Originally posted by Automobile magazine earlier today
          Unlike the Ford marque, GM isn’t getting out of sedans altogether. Past 2019 at least, it plans to continue production of the Chevrolet Malibu, Sonic and Spark, Buick Regal and the two new Cadillac sedans, as well as the Chevy Camaro and Corvette.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/g...uick-lacrosse/

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

For those that don't know, Oshawa, Ontario is a GM town. The loss of 3,000 jobs is going to be a huge blow. No wonder the Toronto market is down today.

The automaker confirmed on Monday that production at the Oshawa facility will end in December 2019, leaving nearly 3,000 workers without jobs.

The Oshawa Assembly plant currently produces the Chevrolet Impala and Cadillac XTS, and its second line was recently repurposed as part of a $500 million investment to begin finishing production of its popular GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado trucks.
            https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/th...181751888.html

Known for it's high quality standards. I guess it's easier politically to shut down a foreign plant. Pretty shocking though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa_Car_Assembly
            Last edited by Bikerjulio; 11-26-2018, 02:41 PM.
            2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
            Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
            2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
            Spectra Grey Tridents.
            Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

GM is closing two American plants, two American propulsion plants, one Korean and one Canadian plant. They also say that two more outside American plants will be "unallocated" next year. i don't think this is "picking on" Canada at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ltomn View Post
                GM is closing two American plants, two American propulsion plants, one Korean and one Canadian plant. They also say that two more outside American plants will be "unallocated" next year. i don't think this is "picking on" Canada at all.
                Oshawa is GM's Canadian HQ and one of only 2 assembly plants, and by far the largest. So proportionately it's a major loss. It would be akin to saying they were shutting down their Detroit operations and 2/3 of national production capacity.

The principle of the auto pact was that manufacturers would make vehicles here, approximately equal in value to those they sold. Hard to see how GM could do that now. Maybe, like Australia and Europe, they've just decided to walk away from the market.
                Last edited by Bikerjulio; 11-26-2018, 03:20 PM.
                Spectra Grey Tridents.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post

Oshawa is GM's Canadian HQ and one of only 2 assembly plants, and by far the largest. So proportionately it's a major loss. It would be akin to saying they were shutting down their Detroit operations and 2/3 of national production capacity.

The principle of the auto pact was that manufacturers would make vehicles here, approximately equal in value to those they sold. Hard to see how GM could do that now. Maybe, like Australia and Europe, they've just decided to walk away from the market.
                  If it made financial sense they would not have been shuttered. Canada or Mexico GM is finally making the hard decisions which means pulling back into the CONUS which I for one am very glad to see!

Comment

Interesting... shuttering plants in Michigan and Ohio... Wonder how this is going to be received.

Comment

There is no doubt that today’s news will be devasting to individual families, and to many business, and certainly to locations too. What Bob Lutz noted this morning in his CNN interview that GM needs to add second shifts to some places, his specifically mentioning Arlington, TX. Here, per media.GM is what is now being made in Arlington, a truly massive plant which if I remember correctly, makes 4,000 vehicles per day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60CA8DA4-B0BE-40DD-AFF3-805D2764EF3D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	17003

Hence, and as per union contract regulations, GM will provide an opportunity for many laid off workers to transfer to other GM plants. Clearly not most of those workers’ choice, but at least many will get a lifeline should they choose to take it.

Comment

Also, let's not forget, the Monza is coming back as a sedan.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/15/...es-monza-name/
                        Last edited by Sigmon; 11-26-2018, 03:47 PM.
                        Sigmon - Hamilton, Ohio, USA
                        2021 Elkhart Lake Blue Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 3LT Z51, D30, BV4, E60, EYK, FA5, FE4, Q8T, ZZ3, J6N
                        Deposit: March 20/20, 1100: Nov 17/20, 2000: Feb 12/21, 3000: Feb 17/21, 3300: April 15/21, 3400: April 23/21 TPW 5/3/21, 3800: 5/4/21, 4200: 5/10/21, 5000: 5/10/21, 6000: 5/10/21

Comment

I always like the concept of the VOLT. In reality, how much HP is required to charge a battery on the fly? Sort of the best of both worlds, electric power on short trips w/o range anxiety on large trips. Simple idea. 1 drivetrain/elec motor and 1 small auxiliary gas engine. Perhaps too expensive, and w/o the tax credit outside of reach cost wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigmon View Post

Also, let's not forget, the Monza is coming back as a sedan.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/15/...es-monza-name/
                            Thanks Simon; that is new info to me and to many.

Comment

Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post

If it made financial sense they would not have been shuttered. Canada or Mexico GM is finally making the hard decisions which means pulling back into the CONUS which I for one am very glad to see!
                              Shrinking the way to greatness?
                              Spectra Grey Tridents.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X